Ever heard of Motosel oil???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went in to a local Oil Change shop today and paid for the full synthetic Valvoline Syn Power oil change. It was not until the oil change was done that I learned they had "run out of" Valvoline oil and had used Motosel synthetic oil in it's place. I asked about the switch but was not given much information about the oil, including who makes it, quality etc.

I am a bit of an oil fanatic and specifically paid for the upgrade to full synthetic to get the Valvoline oil. I have never heard of Motosel and can find very little information online about them. http://www.motosel.com/

I'm wondering if anyone on these boards has heard of Motosel and if so, can provide any more information about the brand and quality.

Thank you.

Scott

I did not realize they were still in the retail business. I wonder what exactly did they use. Was it old stock.

Did you authorize the substitution before they did the work? I would go back and ask for the oil that I requested or ask for your money back.

Did you pay with a credit card? Dispute the charge.

I'm sorry but my investigation told me that this company is either too "young" to have a decent track record (for us to believe in), or it's one of those fly-by-nite operation.

With no proper information available from the internet (other than bits and pieces of info, such as: technology from UK, yadda, yadda...) and the owner Alex Meshkat (registered office in Richmond, B.C. V6V1Z1

Address as follows:

5910 Number 6 Road #108, Richmond, BC V6V 1Z1
Phone:(604) 629-8733

http://www.trademarkia.com/motosel-86175976.html

http://www.supplierss.com/motosel_industrial_group_e1579797.html

You can call Alex to find out more.

I personally do not buy into the hype of an infant oil brand, or oil brand that does not have a decent track record. Base oil being syn or not does not even come into my mind, for I only believe in NA national brand name motor oil with proper, if not well-balanced add packs.

Q.

BTW: their website is just one of those standard, run-of-da mill fly-by-nite operation, that even comes with typo (spelling mistakes).

Thanks OneEyeJack. I paid by debit (same as cash). I have already emailed the oil change shop and expressed my displeasure. Hopefully I will hear back from them tomorrow.

I did not dispute the substitution initially as I was unfamiliar with the oil. I figured I better look into it before I make too big a stink in case it was a premium oil like Royal Purple or Amsoil or something. However, based on the Motosel website, which is written in broken English and is lacking any real detail, I don't have a lot of faith in the oil. If the shop won't replace it with Valvoline then I will run the Motosel for 3 months and switch it out somewhere else. I don't usually put a lot of miles on the vehicle so I like to use Synthetic and go longer between oil changes. My last oil was Royal Purple and I went almost one year but only 6,000km between changes. I drive a 2005 Dodge Durango with the 4.7 litre Magnum V8.

I have no idea how old the oil was or if it was old stock or not. They simply said that they had run out of Valvoline 5w-30 and their supplier substituted the Motosel in its place. At minimum I figure the price should have been reduced. Live and learn I guess.

Thanks Quest. I appreciate your time and effort. Suffice it to say I am not instilled with a sense of confidence...

Don't let them get away with this. Get the oil changed. At this point how can you be sure that you even got the oil they claimed to have used. And look at the filter. If it's some "white box" Chinese piece of junk you should change it as well. Your car is to big of an investment to risk it to someone that would pull a stunt like this.

Thankfully, the shop has since drained the Motosel oil and replaced it with Valvoline synthetic as I originally intended at no charge.

Good choice as per API website it does not look like Motosel has any approvals for anything but mineral oil products the way I read it. Funny thing is they only show semi and full synthetics on their website.

https://engineoil.api.org/Directory/EolcsResultsDetail?accountId=-1&companyId=10528&resultsUrl=%2FDirectory%2FEolcsResults%3FaccountId%3D-1%26companyName%3Dmotosel

Motosel is one of the relatively unknown, in North America anyway, yet high quality oils. It is virgin base oil, not recycled, is usually quite dark with additives (not over refined) and meets a wide range of manufacturer approvals.

They started out mainly as a highly respected, industrial fluids company; hydraulic fluid, cutting fluids etc.

They make a very high quality,full synthetic Euro motor oil too,, 5W40, which meets Mercedes, VW, Audi and other European approvals, requiring a low SAPS oil due to very restrictive PCV systems.

Pricing is lower that Motul or other Euro specific brands and the oil matches or exceeds competitors products.

I don't work for Motosel or anything, but I am a mechanic and run a shop, since turning on to Motosel I have supported the product. No come backs, no problems.They do back it with a miti-million dollar warranty too though, just in case.

ozmedia, I question your assertions, since both your posts are identical, word for word cut and paste jobs. They are your only posts on the board and read like those of a shill, particularly for an non-sponsor product.

Plus this little gem:

Originally Posted By: ozmedia
It is virgin base oil, not recycled, is usually quite dark with additives (not over refined) and meets a wide range of manufacturer approvals.

Old thread, I know, but wanted to post as I'm considering using this oil for an 8,000 km OCI.

Talked to the operations manager who sent me a spec sheet with the following info. I called and asked about the base stocks and HTHS and he replied with 50% PAO and the rest group OIL, and HTHS of 3.68.

It's also on the official MB approval list now. Discuss? Should I get an VOA done or would that not quite tell the whole story?

Originally Posted By: e36'n
Old thread, I know, but wanted to post as I'm considering using this oil for an 8,000 km OCI.

Talked to the operations manager who sent me a spec sheet with the following info. I called and asked about the base stocks and HTHS and he replied with 50% PAO and the rest group OIL, and HTHS of 3.68.

It's also on the official MB approval list now. Discuss? Should I get an VOA done or would that not quite tell the whole story?

Curiously though not for 229.31 nor 229.51 as listed on their "recommendations" list you posted, unless I don't know how to read the Mercedes site.

A VOA isn't going to tell you anything IRT certifications.

Interesting. It's only 229.3 not the ones they listed. Very inconsistent.

Here's the approvals that I saved off their site.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dubber09
Why are they listing flash and pour temps in C for one and F for the other???

Maybe because people would realize that 215-6C is not very impressive for a flashpoint...420F sounds "higher".

Don't some of the more stringent Euro maker specs require 10% or lower NOACK loss? Maybe this oil's 11% explains why it only has a few Euro certifications?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: e36'n
Interesting. It's only 229.3 not the ones they listed. Very inconsistent.

Here's the approvals that I saved off their site.

Inconsistent in more ways than one apparently. If you actually have the certifications you posted then you don't call them "Recommendations" on the label. You call them approvals. And you're saying they don't have those letters on the site any longer? Then that tells me they changed their formulation and it no longer carries the actual certifications. What other conclusion can you make?

TBH why mess around with a goofy oil company that apparently has no idea what its oil is or isn't when there are plenty of other choices that aren't screwed up like that? I wouldn't put it in one of my cars no matter which spec I needed. Even SN.

Approvals are still on the site, just meant that I saved them.

TBH, was looking around at a local store in Vancouver where I just moved and this was on the shelf. It's a local company, blended in Chicago and found it worth posting in here for the first time in years.

I looked up the MB 229.3 and Porsche A40 and those are some hardy specifications.

Will probably just and up with Rotella T6 or wait til GC goes on sale.

They have Total Quartz Ineo MC3 5W-40 locally, but it isn't LL-01, only 04.

I doubt with the short OCI and no track time, obviously, it really matters which one I put in out of all of these either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back