2012 Honda Fit ATF capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2012 Fit has 40k miles and I want to change the ATF fluid in it. Do you know how much fluid it is required for a drain and fill change?

Thanks.

OM says 2.6qts. for a change. Just a word of advice, I like to measure as close as possible the amount that comes out, using an older/used qt oil container having at least 4 oz delineations. That way you have a good place to start refill level, then follow OM procedure for checking level and add as needed.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
3 quarts if doing it by the drain plug, slightly more if sucking it out with a Mityvac.

Yes, it usually exactly 3qt if you let it drain really well on jack stands. Put in 2.75 first to be sure.

You'll need to let the car idle until the fans come on twice, then you need to shut it off and check the fluid level with the engine off. This can take 25 min +.

Lastly, you need a very long flexible funnel in order to fill the transmission.

I use an windshield washer container cleaned out and dry, fill it up with the used fluid and make a line with a Sharpie. Drain it out and refill it with fresh fluid,this gives me a good starting point so I can check it later. The link to the Fitfreak forum should answer all your questions.

Thanks guys. I bought 3 quarts but wanted to make sure it is actually 3. I plan to do first change around 40-45k miles and annually, which is around 15-25k depending on work work schedule, after that. My wife will be driving it; therefore, I want to do it annually as it cost the same as an oil change DIY. She isn't into cars and they are just transportation appliances so cars don't last as long with her unless I actually monitor things weekly. For example, she managed to drive my Accord with 2 quarts low for 2 weeks and I found this out while getting the vehicle ready for a long road trip. I was working 70 hours a week during that time and didn't have time to check oil level weekly. For the Fit, I normally get 38 mpg average while her best is 31 mpg even though her commute is 80% 4-lane country road with very little traffics while mine is a 60/40 mix with heavy traffic.

Is 45k miles too long for first ATF change? It is only 27 months old.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: M1Accord

Is 45k miles too long for first ATF change? It is only 27 months old.

I've noticed that the DW-1 fluid that Honda is now using, seems to retain it's performance a bit better than the old ATF-Z1, but I would still drain and refill at least every 30k.

The Fit only holds about 6 qt of fluid total, but the drain and refill will remove almost 50% of the old fluid.

I would drain and refill once now, and again in 5k, then do it every 30k thereafter.

If you follow the Maintenance Minder, it will usually alert you to do the first change at about 60k, then every 30k thereafter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back