Vegetable Oil to Pass Emissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was thinking of using a vegetable oil as a motor oil just to see if it will help me pass emissions. Last time I tried to pass I got very close but was just a little high with NOx.
I didn't end up needed to pass emissions as I moved away. I now need to pass.

Been reading that unrefined Canola oil oil results in very low emissions when used as a motor oil. I cant find unrefined Canola oil. My second thought was to try Castor oil. I know it has been used as a motor oil in the past but not sure if it will help lower emissions like NOx.

I have looked into the Smoke Free Oils and that they lower emissions but dont like the price of the oil. They are quite pricy. I would like to try a low cost vegetable oil first to see if there is any change in emissions. If the veggie oil worked, then I would consider trying the No Smoke Oils.

My plan is to just drain and fill with veggie oil and go right to the emissions station, then drain and fill with motor oil.

If I go with Castor oil (not Castrol oil), is there more than one grade of Castor oil or do I just buy the cheapest Castor oil I can find?

Why not fix the underlying problem. I do not see a real correlation between oil and emissions, unless the engine is burning a lot of oil.

Originally Posted By: landtoy80
I cant find unrefined Canola oil.

Canola oil is by definition highly refined. I'm curious to see what happens. I say give it a try and report back (since clearly this car isn't worth fixing?).

Can you get E85 fuel in your area.? You'll get more effective results doctoring the gas rather than the oil. Ethanol burns very cleanly.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Can you get E85 fuel in your area.? You'll get more effective results doctoring the gas rather than the oil. Ethanol burns very cleanly.

This. You'll do more harm than good with the vegetable oil.

How much oil are you burning?

What is the vehicle? Mileage?

NOx is a reaction between the nitrogen in the air (and fuel) and oxygen at high temps/pressures.

Not sure that you oil is going to have a great deal to do with it, unless you've got carbon deposits in the chamber.

Maybe a half tank with a full bottle of Techron run through it, then just before the test a tank of E10.

94 Toyota Land Cruiser 416,000 "original" miles.
1 qt 1000 to 2000 miles.

From what I have read that the veggie oils are great at lubing and lowering emissions but suck at gumming and cold temps. As I will only have maybe 60 miles on the oil, both problems will no be a problem.

Rebuilding the motor is not an option as the vehicle is not quite worth $1000 if that. I drive it till it dies or it wont pass emissions.

Vegetable oil IN PLACE of motor oil? Jee, why didn't I think of that? With the high price of motor oil these days, I could've been running Wesson oil all these years.
grin2.gif

Don't do that vegetable thing. Not very smart. What you could do is to do another oil change, this time with 10w60 or 20w50. This will reduce oil consumption considerably. it would also be smart to take a longer motorway drive to get engine real hot, and to burn some of deposits in the chamber. As other mentioned before me Ethanol burn cleaner so use that for a while.

If its only marginal on NOX try richening the mixture, or retarding the timing, or even servicing the cooling system! To see a reduction in those numbers.
If you really can't be bothered, IPA and or acetone mixed in to your fuel at approx 10% will reduce emissions

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Vegetable oil IN PLACE of motor oil? Jee, why didn't I think of that? With the high price of motor oil these days, I could've been running Wesson oil all these years.
grin2.gif

+1 - I can't believe this is even an issue for discussion.

High nox ? Fix the Egr system. A bit of e-85 as suggested. Not a lot but say a gallon , with 3-4 gallons of regular 87 fuel. Also give us the make and model vehicle and mileage, along with what you have done to pass emmissions.

This is on the right track. NOX is not a hydrocarbon, so addressing the oil in the sump will not address NOX. Combustion chamber temps and/or fuel mixture, not to mention the catalyst is the route for a high NOX reading.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
NOx is a reaction between the nitrogen in the air (and fuel) and oxygen at high temps/pressures.

Not sure that you oil is going to have a great deal to do with it, unless you've got carbon deposits in the chamber.

Maybe a half tank with a full bottle of Techron run through it, then just before the test a tank of E10.

As mentioned above, lowering NOx requires lowering combustion temperatures. There are a number of ways to do this. The most common method (today) is to increase EGR flow. You might simply have to "clean" your EGR valve (if so equipped) .

Another way is to reduce compression ratio. You might be able to reduce effective compression ratio by reducing carbon buildup (which ain't easy, btw) Some ways to do this include Chevron Techron in very high doses, sometimes high power/high high heat/high speed operation if it's thick soft carbon, spark plug spacers add some volume (but generally disturb combustion) and possibly water injection while hot (I've never seen that actually work, but some swear by that method)

Small changes in ignition timing can also make significant changes in NOx.

You could even try to take your thermostat out. This reduces engine temperature and reduces combustion temps. But also increases other emissions.

Do not run Canola oil in your engine, go find an AMSOIL dealer and buy a bottle of PI Performance Improver... it cleans injectors valves, combustion chamber, and it will reduce the NOx emissions down to a point where you will pass.

Do it. Don't think about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back