MANN Filter for Cummins Dodge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could be a Purolater. The MANN filters for VW's and other Euro brand vehicles are often made in Germany however.

That filter is most likely a reboxed Purolator Classic.

The part numbers that start with ML are reboxed Clasics.

The part numbers that start with W or HU are the real European Manns (Menn?)

Get the Fleetguard Statapore filter for your Cummins.

No real reason to use anything else.

Donaldson filters work great too but can be a tougher find.

Check your nearby heavy equipment dealer.

Originally Posted By: rrounds
Baldwin also makes a very good filter for the Cummins.

ROD

You're right.

While not officially approved for some Cummins applications, Baldwin's BD7317 offers a high level of filtration similar to the Fleetguard LF9028 at a third of the price.

It would be a good choice.

But you still do get a lot of filter for your money with the expensive venturi-combo Fleetguard.

Yeah the ML Mann's are purolator classics.

Nothing wrong with that and will work fine.

But if it were me I would probably reach for a Baldwin, fleetguard, or Wix

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Originally Posted By: rrounds
Baldwin also makes a very good filter for the Cummins.

ROD

You're right.

While not officially approved for some Cummins applications, Baldwin's BD7317 offers a high level of filtration similar to the Fleetguard LF9028 at a third of the price.

It would be a good choice.

But you still do get a lot of filter for your money with the expensive venturi-combo Fleetguard.
I've tried both of them-the Baldwin BD7317 is a decent filter-but it is no match for the LF9028. The Baldwin has a venturi cone, but it has a bypass section that is only a finer media, but looks like a standard filter. The Fleetguard has the stacked disc bypass media that can hold much finer soot particles. I have the LF9028 on the Cummins right now, the oil looks visually cleaner than it did with the Baldwin (can actually see the dipstick metal through the oil film)-I'll post a UOA eventually, it'll probably be in a year or so.

Filterbarn has the LF9028 for $24.80 each, Zoro is the cheapest place I've found for the Baldwin BD7317, at $11.93. To me, the LF9028 is worth it on a 2nd or 3rd gen 5.9, or a 6.7 Cummins-the multiple injection events soot the oil pretty quickly compared to the older IDI diesels & 1st gen Cummins engines I've seen. To the OP-if you have a Pep Boys around, check out their ProLine oil filters, they used to be Purolator made & cheaper than Classics, I've run them on the F-450 7.3 with good results.

I stocked up on the BD7317 (and 7772 fuel filters) on the last Zoro sale ($10.75 free shipping). The LF9028 seems like a nice filter but it's over 3x the cost of the 7317 - not sure my 30 year old beater pickup deserves the 9028.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
That filter is most likely a reboxed Purolator Classic.

The part numbers that start with ML are reboxed Clasics.

The part numbers that start with W or HU are the real European Manns (Menn?)

Very interesting. It seems like the Purolator brand name is being phased out for automotive filters in favor of Mann and/or Bosch. Could this be because the German sounding names might have a higher perceived value? Consumers rarely actually know what they are getting .... unless they spend too much time on BITOG
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: wgtoys
Very interesting. It seems like the Purolator brand name is being phased out for automotive filters in favor of Mann and/or Bosch.

Not quite. It's just that Mann wants to have a complete lineup to cover all cars, so rather than make their own filters, why not just rebox from their subsidiary? Mann isn't and probably won't be nearly as widely available as Purolator brand. Only *some* AAP stores carry Mann at all. Walmart, Kmart, AAP, and other mass retailers don't carry European filters at all, so no Mann.

Also, Bosch pulled out of Purolator a couple years ago, so Puro is now 100% Mann-owned.

Originally Posted By: BBDartCA
That'd be a smart move. I confuse Purolator filters with parcel delivery still.
15247383632_a950b07a7c.jpg

That's because the courier used to own the filter company, until they sold it to Mann and Bosch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back