Jack stand backup

Status
Not open for further replies.
While waiting for my mailorder tires to come, I am removing wheels from my camper and dropping onto jack stands. Once I let it down onto the stand, I decided to set the stabilizer jack. Because it was there. Then a thought hit. Why not use stabilizer jacks as a backup to jack stands?

Due to skittishness on my part, I've been tossing a second set of stands under the car when I have to be under it. But the second set is never set very well--winds up being one click down. Cheapo stabilizers can be spun up though--I always wonder what might happen if the car moved and dropped that fraction of an inch, would the second stand take the shock?

I don't know how much I trust them, I suspect the 6k rating is for a set of four; and they look like they would shatter under shock load. But it was the thought of the morning.

I've generally just left the floor jack under the vehicle after setting on jack stands. Give the vehicle a shake to confirm it's solid before crawling underneath. Done this a million times, still here to type about it.

I do pretty much what stevejones does - I lower the car until it's resting on the jack stands, then pump the jack back up until it's barely touching the car. Then I give it a good hard shove and if it doesn't wiggle too much, it's good.

If you don't trust your stands, sell them on Craigslist and get a set you do trust. I had a jack I didn't trust but I kept using it due to cheapness - I kept saying "It's rated to two tons! I'm sure the engineers that designed it know what they're talking about." Then it folded in half and set my car down on the ground as I was headed to the garage to grab my jack stands.

Now, if I can't afford safety equipment I trust I don't do the job.

You need to purchase quality jack stands if you are going to work under a vehicle. I purchased a set from NAPA about thirty some years ago and they are well built. I also leave the floor jack in place if possible.

Originally Posted By: Smcatub
I do pretty much what stevejones does - I lower the car until it's resting on the jack stands, then pump the jack back up until it's barely touching the car. Then I give it a good hard shove and if it doesn't wiggle too much, it's good.

If you don't trust your stands, sell them on Craigslist and get a set you do trust. I had a jack I didn't trust but I kept using it due to cheapness - I kept saying "It's rated to two tons! I'm sure the engineers that designed it know what they're talking about." Then it folded in half and set my car down on the ground as I was headed to the garage to grab my jack stands.

Now, if I can't afford safety equipment I trust I don't do the job.

Once I get the stand and jack in place, I usually toss wheels under the car as well to act as a 3rd line.

You can't have too much backup protection when working under a car. Jack stands, jack pumped up a backup and a couple of wheels wheels under the frame rails is minimum.

Last edited:
I buy skinny tires--and I'm not skinny. I do leave the jack in place in conjunction with the stands. My jack does like to bleed down if I don't crank on the screw.

Just had a set of Torins given to me, have not used yet. A set of Pittsburgs, another cheap set of HF and then some real beefy USA ones, but those only work on my truck.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Has anyone ever heard of jack stands failing? That's the more important question.

There was a thread on some (Ferrari?) site a while ago, but I think it was user error. Either the jack wasn't set right, or he somehow was able to lift up the release. Maybe he kicked it. He other day I saw a pic of a failed stand but for the life of me I can't remember now.

It's pretty rare I think. More likely to have the car shift and fall if anything.

I probably am a touch claustraphobic but being crushed by one of our vehicles is just not how I'm gonna leave this world. Certainty is the word when talking about something that's holding 2+ tons inches from my face. If it's backup, it has to hold the same weight as whatever you're using for primary (jackstands, ramps,etc). This is one of those instances where overkill will keep you alive. Just my 2 cents

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: tig1
Has anyone ever heard of jack stands failing? That's the more important question.

There was a thread on some (Ferrari?) site a while ago, but I think it was user error. Either the jack wasn't set right, or he somehow was able to lift up the release. Maybe he kicked it. He other day I saw a pic of a failed stand but for the life of me I can't remember now.

It's pretty rare I think. More likely to have the car shift and fall if anything.

So I did a search on 'jack stand failure' and it was a Porschae if you're thinking of the thread I found.

And this thread has me wanting to replace my Harbor Freight jack stands now. I might start a thread in the Tool section looking for recommendations...

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Also, you can throw a tire/rim under the car.
I got into this habit 30 years ago. If the wheels are off they go under the car. A little extra protection (and room) if anything fails.

Depending on the job, two or four stands- nothing more. Those who say you can't have too much in the way of support/redundancy haven't need to work under the whole car at one time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back