2004 sentra 1.8 what coolant is to be used?

Status
Not open for further replies.
green, blue, or another brand and type...way to confusing anymore...thanks in advance..also I cannot tell if it's blue or green...almost a blueish-greenish color

colour means nothing in this case, for they are just dyes.

Check/consult other boards or manufacturers to see if they go with Phosphorus-based OAT long-life coolant?

(Honda and Toy are already on H-OAT for this era vehicles)

Q.

Like has been mentioned color means little to nothing. Factory Nissan coolant is blue, why not use that? I helped my neighbor change out his coolant on a Nissan, the dealer wasn't that expensive. IIRC there was both pre-mix and concentrate available.

People usually call it "Asian Red" because, as I understand it, Toyota pioneered it and died theirs red. Eventually the other national makers followed suit and aligned their system metallurgy and coolant chemistry with this for commonality.

Your color, as mentioned, isn't a firm indicator of the chemistry. These are known as P-HOAT (phosphated hybrid organic acid tech), and HOAT (the pink is sans Phosphate, but they are compatible). You can use your manufacturer's stuff, or any substitute for Toyota red or pink (pink is longer service life). Toyota went to factory pink fill in, I think 2003, Nissan probably followed within a few years so yours likely has the P-HOAT in it if it is still factory. All are a bit pricier than normal ole' prestone green we knew long ago; different chemistry for different system metallurgy. Sources I go to for it are:

Carquest, factory Toyota LLC - $28/gallon concentrate
Napa, O'Reillys - $26.xx/gal Pentofrost A1 or
Zerex asian is pre-diluted and the same chemistry, so you are locked into 50/50 and I like a little more freeze protection than that (~-50F for 55/45 vs ~-30F with 50/50), so I use the concentrate along with dH20 from the supermarket.

Eutectic graph for anti-freeze:

http://theamcforum.com/forum/overheating-due-to-100-antifreeze_topic32939_page2.html

Depending upon how far "NE" you are, you may want 55/45, but if not way up there then 50/50 can work.

Yes, I would say that Zerex Asian or Peak Global Lifetime would be your best bet!

Though, in the '04 Altima in my signature, I have been using(3 drain & refills thus far) since new, PEAK AM/AM 50/50 with good success! My owners manual(OM) only requires Ethylene Glycol with no other specifications.

Peak Long Life 50/50 works great in our 2008 Nissan Versa that uses a conventional "green" type coolant. I do a drain and fill every 30K miles, no issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back