Dental amalgam or resin composite fillings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I (supposedly) need a filling replaced or say says the dentist. I don't have dental insurance merely dental benefits. Is there anyone who actually has dental insurance? Anyway, should I go with amalgam or resin composite fillings? The composite is $30 more ($60.75 vs. $89.75).

It appears that composite is now strong enough for the back teeth (location of concern). It seems that the mercury content (~50%) is not really harmful.

I guess another question (for the dentist) is his experience with composite fillings.

Thanks.

All amalgams that contain mercury can leach toxic substances, depending last but not least on your personal body chemistry. Amalgams are prettty much cheap and don't last long. Composites also leak toxins. Fillings, inlays, crowns, adhesives all wear down resulkting in the ingestion of toxins. Gold wears the least and has pretty much the best biocompatibility. There are mercury-free amalgams and of course ceramics and glass ionomers. The adhesives are also more or less toxic and wash out.

Your dentist should be able to choose what's right for you. If he dismisses your concerns, dismiss him and move on.

hotwheels

I would go with the Composite. But just like vaccines that used Mercury there is no credible study that says the Mercury is/was a problem. Its not elemental Mercury.

I can't get a tooth filled for less than $200

I've got a mouth full of amalgam that's been there 30 years (haven't had a filling since a teenager, and am not a fan of amalgam at all.

Be careful if he's drilling an old one out, you will get many many years wort of leaching into your system in one hit if he doesn't use a dental dam and the like for the removal process.

Originally Posted By: hotwheels
All amalgams that contain mercury can leach toxic substances, depending last but not least on your personal body chemistry. Amalgams are prettty much cheap and don't last long. Composites also leak toxins. Fillings, inlays, crowns, adhesives all wear down resulkting in the ingestion of toxins. Gold wears the least and has pretty much the best biocompatibility. There are mercury-free amalgams and of course ceramics and glass ionomers. The adhesives are also more or less toxic and wash out.

Your dentist should be able to choose what's right for you. If he dismisses your concerns, dismiss him and move on.

hotwheels

Lot of misinformation here with no scientific documentation to support this position.

Amalgam restorations have been around for many decades with a long history of success. They have a high degree of compressive strength and can last a very long time. They work very well in posterior (back) teeth. Esthetics are minimal. The material does not bond to tooth structure. They are not "cheap", just less expensive.

Composite materials have come a long way. They have sufficient strength to be used in posterior teeth. The material can be bonded to tooth structure. Have a much more natural appearance.

These, and many other materials, have been used for many decades with no epidemiological data to support inherent toxicity.

Use the one that best fits the location, the requirements of the tooth, and your budget. Talk to your dentist. Your dentist should be using his or her diagnostic skills to determine which material best suits the situation and alternatives.

Originally Posted By: MajorCavalry
These, and many other materials, have been used for many decades with no epidemiological data to support inherent toxicity.

Cut to the chase...

does it make sense to put mercury in the mouth ?

but it's not elemental mercury as Al pointed out...
it's been used for 150 years or so...
in any case, I may opt for high copper single composition alloy but just concerned about seal...

Many dentists simply use amalgam for back teeth as a matter of course...

hotwheels

Lot of misinformation here with no scientific documentation to support this position.

I don't see you supply any scientific documentation. Not that I think it's necessary, considering the venue.

hotwheels

hotwheels

I don't see you supply any scientific documentation. Not that I think it's necessary. considering the venue.

hotwheels

Here's one that I've been reading.
Is it the end of the road for dental amalgam? A critical review

I have several of both types, the Composite are nearly invisible, and are fully cured when you leave the office.

I can remember as a kid, getting the amalgam type, you had to chew on the opposite side, or eat soft foods(or both) for a day or so before they were fully cured.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Cut to the chase...

does it make sense to put mercury in the mouth ?

Dental amalgam is a mixture of silver, tin, copper and mercury. The mixture is mixed (triturated) and once set the mercury is no longer elemental. Ag3Sn + Hg → Ag2Hg3 + Sn7Hg. The rate of mercury dissolution is extremely low but does exist. Once again, there is no data to support the position that amalgams are inherently toxic or have long term negative consequences. I suggest making an informed decision.

Yes, I would use amalgam in my mouth, if appropriate.

hotwheels

I don't see you supply any scientific documentation. Not that I think it's necessary, considering the venue.

hotwheels

Link to documentation. Good read.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3388771/

I suggest making an informed decision.

A decision is when you decide between two options.

Informed is when you research a subject, and process that information.

Informed decision is when you have read, and absorbed, then decided on the rewards/risks of the options, and then choose a path based on the risk profile that you choose to adopt.

Condescending is....

If I was to come up with mercury amalgam today, as a new product, it would never, ever get legs. It wouldn't even be allowed in the workplace without strict controls.

Gold. My parents have all gold and to this day get complements on their dental work. I've never had a cavity, knock on wood, but if I did, I'd look into how to utilize gold, despite he cost. When I did PM buying back in college, we dealt with a lot of gold fillings... I wonder if they could be recycled.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
I suggest making an informed decision.

A decision is when you decide between two options.

Informed is when you research a subject, and process that information.

Informed decision is when you have read, and absorbed, then decided on the rewards/risks of the options, and then choose a path based on the risk profile that you choose to adopt.

Condescending is....

If I was to come up with mercury amalgam today, as a new product, it would never, ever get legs. It wouldn't even be allowed in the workplace without strict controls.

If I came across as condescending, I apologize. Not my intent. My link to the NIH (National Institute of Health) document presents a balanced discussion of amalgam and its risks. I tried to present the case that a healthy discussion is useful. Arguing with poorly supported statements serves no one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back