Subaru 2.5 head gaskets and others repairs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife has a 2008 Impreza with the 2.5 engine. We bought it new and it currently has around 50k on it. After reading all these oil threads I see many people have to replace the head gaskets around 100k. I was curious to get some background on this and other things I can expect. Typically what is the cost for head gasket service? So far the car has been great. I do most all the maint myself including the 30k spark plugs. I started the car on m1 for the first couple years and since has been pp. I am about to drop in some castrol edge gold that I got on sale soon though.

The head gasket while it happens in greater then normal frequency with 2.5L EJ non turbo Subaru it is
My family between sister in laws, parents and cousin have 10 Subaru's with 2.5L EJ that went into the 10yr+/150k-240k range. Only one at 229k had the issue and basically traded off with stop leak for decent amount.

I asked my local mechanic who does this quite a bit as they hold him up for a full day. He says they run him $1000-$1500 to change out and long hard day. His labor rate is $60/hr and his parts price full retail.

Originally Posted By: webfors
Here's my thread:

All this motivated by a $60 release bearing that failed.

Interesting way of fixing a release bearing in a clutch? Mine did fail in our 2005 Legacy GT (common to that specific drivetrain) and it was $60 for part and $300 labor (5hrs) to change it. The mechanic did not pull the motor but loosened and slide it forward to get at it.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Originally Posted By: webfors
Here's my thread:

All this motivated by a $60 release bearing that failed.

Interesting way of fixing a release bearing in a clutch? Mine did fail in our 2005 Legacy GT (common to that specific drivetrain) and it was $60 for part and $300 labor (5hrs) to change it. The mechanic did not pull the motor but loosened and slide it forward to get at it.

With slight HG seeping on one side and timing belt needing to be changed I pushed all in. Doing all those jobs separately would have cost considerably more $$.

Interesting thread you posted. Ours is a automatic however so hopefully no as many repairs. What oil do u usually use in the Subaru, engine is clean. We do 7500mi OCI which takes us around 9 months to do that.

Any oil will do in the EJ25. However I now use AFE. It has had a lot of different oils over the years (PP, RT5, Rotella T, VWB, Castrol Edge, etc).

I have/had 3 EJ25 foresters with head gasket issues.

1)2001 bought with failed headgaskets overheating and leaking oil. Overheating started at 275000 miles. Head gaskets replaced.. still my daily work vehicle.

2)2001 bought with leaking headgaskets (oil only). Has over 350000 miles hasnt overheated

3)2004 bought with leaking head gaskets (oil only). 174K miles currently.

The first forester i pd $150 for and was quoted over $1500 to repair at my local subaru dealer. I got to talking to the mechanic and he said he would do it at his home on the side. I gave him #2 subaru that i also bought for $150 for the repair bill. His wife still drives #2 today with no repairs

The third subaru i was sort of forced to buy because my wife got rear ended and i needed a replacement pretty fast. I ran the car by my mechanic friend and yes the headgaskets leak oil but may never overheat.. so the verdict was to add .5 quart every 5000 miles and keep an eye out for overheating if ever.

So the small oil leaking may last you forever with no other issues, the overheating may or may never happen.

older ones had a lot of issues with the HG. the newer ones not so much. i did mine in about 13 hours, was my first one so it took a little longer as i had to reference the manual often. Can probably do it faster next time.

the key is to not let it overheat. external leaks are not a big deal unless it gets crazy. internal needs to be fixed asap as it will warp heads which will thus require machining.

i was quoted 2-3k for my 99. this included all new timing stuff and WP. the variable was if it needed hg machined. did it for $200 just for the HG set as mine had the other stuff replaced not long before.if i bought the wP,timing belt it would be another 100 in parts.

If you have a good asst of tools, a cherry picker and engine stand its not too hard to DIY.

From what I have read, for those years of Subaru 2.5 engines that are prone to HG failure, you can significantly reduce the risk of failure by being meticulous in following the maintenance schedule. Particularly oil changes and coolant changes.

As was mentioned by someone else above, the advice is to keep the engine running cool.

Yeah... the old Subaru 2.5. Blows Head Gaskets. That is basically what they do.

Get it fixed right after that and it will last forever!

Now, call me blasphemous, but... doesnt the EJ2.2 do that as well? (Impreza, some Legacys)

Originally Posted By: Donald
Was the head gasket problem in the 2.5 fixed in 2014? 2015? 2016?

IIRC, it is a whole different 2.5 than the Legacy (ha) days of the "Boxer 4." Porsche influenced engine, IIRC.

And 2.5L was always very big for a 4. Same way 4.3L was always very big for a V6. Again, only Porsche has a bigger 4... and the result is monster torque, in both set-ups..

Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne

Now, call me blasphemous, but... doesnt the EJ2.2 do that as well? (Impreza, some Legacys)

the 2.2 is rock solid, head gaskets are a very rare occurrence. I sort of prefer its nature more than the 2.5 around town, but the 2.5 is still a better engine.

EJ22 is bulletproof but is found in older cars 2001 impreza last year. 1999 legacy last year. Single overhead cam.

EJ25D- head gasket failure 96-98 Outback 98 forester. Dual overhead cam. avoid. junk.

EJ251- head gasket failure. 2000-2002 forester single overhead cam.

EJ253- 2003-2010 Foresters- head gaskets leak, but dont fail as often. Piston slap in many of these engines.

2011-2012 Subaru Forester engines. currently have a class action lawsuit pending due to oil consumption.

So if u can do a head gasket repair, live with piston slap, or jump in with the oil consumption foresters..they are pretty much trouble free except for wheel bearing issues.

I currently have 2 and have done the head gasket repair and am living with the piston slap. Wheel bearings and CV axles last a couple of years.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
EJ22 is bulletproof but is found in older cars 2001 impreza last year. 1999 legacy last year. Single overhead cam.

EJ25D- head gasket failure 96-98 Outback 98 forester. Dual overhead cam. avoid. junk.

EJ251- head gasket failure. 2000-2002 forester single overhead cam.

EJ253- 2003-2010 Foresters- head gaskets leak, but dont fail as often. Piston slap in many of these engines.

2011-2012 Subaru Forester engines. currently have a class action lawsuit pending due to oil consumption.

So if u can do a head gasket repair, live with piston slap, or jump in with the oil consumption foresters..they are pretty much trouble free except for wheel bearing issues.

I currently have 2 and have done the head gasket repair and am living with the piston slap. Wheel bearings and CV axles last a couple of years.

You list up to 2012 engines, what about after that?

2012+

http://www.torquenews.com/1084/2nd-new-oil-consumption-lawsuit-suddenly-filed-against-subaru

"In an article in the New Jersey Law Journal, the first lawsuit, filed in July on behalf of a California man, claims the 2011-14 Forester, 2013 Legacy and 2013 Outback, with 2.5-liter engines, and 2012-13 Impreza and 2013 Crosstrek, with 2-liter engines are having this oil consumption issue. The suit claims the vehicles "prematurely burn off and/or consume abnormal and excessive amounts of engine oil."

Seeing as a big part of that job is the timing belt i would personally be tempted to drop the exhaust off the heads and intake and do them over a weekend in the summer when it came time to do the belt.
Just because.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72

hogwash. the engine is amazing, pre HG failure, and post HG failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back