Goodbye Red light cams... Hello to...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Worry not. If cameras make money they will persist. Money or more correctly revenue is the issue, not safety. On top of that there is so much money to be made with so little effort that private companies install the camera on their dime and collect a percentage they split with the government. Safety is the buzz word. Our government is good at selling us on their schemes. We are to blame for accepting their actions.

I'm not worried
smile.gif

No worry; don't speed. It is real simple. We have several nearby.

Whatever happened to just safe and prudent as the speed limit?

Trying to pass a car or merge into a lane faster than traffic will get you a ticket. I wonder how much faster than the speed limit will get you a ticket. 1 or 2 mph over?

If they want to say this for safety they should clearly have signs miles ahead with warnings that there are speed cams. But then they won't make any money.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Worry not. If cameras make money they will persist. Money or more correctly revenue is the issue, not safety. On top of that there is so much money to be made with so little effort that private companies install the camera on their dime and collect a percentage they split with the government. Safety is the buzz word. Our government is good at selling us on their schemes. We are to blame for accepting their actions.

We don't have red light cameras. In fact the county lost the right to even have radar guns. They where sued many years back and lost (went to Mississippi State Supreme Court). They used it like you stated "revenue".

They still have to prove it was YOU driving the car.

So they will need to get a photo of the driver if possible.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL

No they don't. They got the plate. All they need.

Nope, since it is all about revenue, they just make it a non-moving violation and they can issue it to the owner of the vehicle... at least in some states they do.

Originally Posted By: shinyWheels
Whatever happened to just safe and prudent as the speed limit?

Trying to pass a car or merge into a lane faster than traffic will get you a ticket. I wonder how much faster than the speed limit will get you a ticket. 1 or 2 mph over?

If they want to say this for safety they should clearly have signs miles ahead with warnings that there are speed cams. But then they won't make any money.

I'm perfectly fine with the use of red light cameras to catch the iditiots that straight up plow through redlights as the other direction gets the Green light (I see it ALL THE TIME) and to fine them heavily with fees and points on their license. Multiple pictures showing the car, tag and DRIVER behind the wheel will suffice in court. The idiots will soon learn to brake and stop for redlights.

I'm 100% against sending thousands of tickets per day to law abiding citizens for running late yellows. This is when it's clear that the camera is there for revenue and nothing more.

I'm also perfectly fine with the use of speed cameras to catch the iditiots that exceed the speed limit by a substantial amount, especially in school zones, residential areas and highway (ticket the guy doing 90mph while weaving between cars with traffic flowing at 77mph in a 70mph zone. These idiots will soon learn to set the cruise control on at a safe and reasonable speed and flow with traffic.

I'm 100% against sending thousands of tickets per day to law abiding citizens going over the speed limit within reason ( still under 8-9mph)

I say we focus on catching the BAD drivers, making it safer for the rest of us. THAT should be the goal. A little extra revenue for the cities / states would be acceptable.

If you have citizens rioting and taking the officials to court over the issue, obviously the people feel the use of these devices isn't fair and things need to change.

If the people in power were FAIR and incorporated the use of these devices in the proper manner, we wouldn't have this thread. It's because we all KNOW the devices are used for all the wrong reasons that we are standing up against the same people we elected to work for US.

I'm so glad we got rid of the speed cameras on the freeways here in Phoenix. These idiots would already be doing 65 (the speed limit) and then slam on the brakes to slow down to 10 UNDER the speed limit. The cameras would only flash if you were going 10 or 11 mph over the speed limit. I'd go zipping past all those idiots at 70-72 while they're slowing way down. Never got a ticket.

No they don't. That has already went to court and YOU lost. I got a Christmas card from the District of Columbia a few weeks ago. 61 in a 50. If I were going 60, I wouldn't have received the greeting. $100. Guilty. The only thing in your favor is it does not count against your driving record. It is simple revenue collection.

They blow it up, and you can see the driver. I've requested one where anyone in the family could've been driving...and it was me! My brother in law has a fleet of trucks, and a wall covered in photos - he has to identify the driver, and charges them the fine.

Motorcycles aren't safe either, the random vans have someone inside - last year I was speeding (140kph) and saw a van well ahead, at least a km, and slowed down, I was doing under the speed limit as I went past, looked inside and saw no one. There is only a narrow area where the camera clocks and takes the photo. A couple of weeks later I got a ticket for exceeding the limit, no actual speed given - so whoever had been inside the van had seen the radar pickup my earlier speed, then got my plate as I went past. I didn't contest the ticket, as I had no rego either, I didn't need a fine for speeded and no rego...just the speeding ticket was fine by me.

Originally Posted By: Trajan

No they don't. They got the plate. All they need.

Been lost in Oz...the owner of the car gets a ticket. Unless they nominate who was driving the vehicle at the time, they are liable for it. (A judge spent a couple of years using a deceased overseas friend as a proxy, and got away with it for ages).

As to photographing your face, that stopped when prominent people started getting photographed with their affair in the passenger seat...now it's plates and vehicle only.

I don't want the same people who talk on cellphones in movie theaters determining "what is safe and prudent".

Think about it..............

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back