ATF recommendation for 1978 Corolla?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently acquired a 1978 Corolla. Maintenance history is unknown (was a tow-yard car). There is evidence it was maintained, as some parts under the hood look fairly new. Miles on the vehicle are unknown (5 digit odometer). Transmission (3 speed) shifts are slightly on the firm side, but not alarmingly so.

The transmission fluid is down a bit (reads at the cold level while hot). The fluid is pinkish in color, so, clearly it has been replaced. My research appears to indicate that originally the vehicle called for Type F. (If I am mistaken, do let me know).

I need to add some fluid, I would like to go with original spec. However, I have no idea what's currently in there. Maybe it's Type F, maybe not.

I am hesitant to drain all the fluid and fill, since it is working.

Thanks for any advice.

0fa6d319-e0c8-4685-aa82-d7c2457bd586_zps62b8d67e.jpg

Amsoil applications guide doesn't go back that far but the 1980 Corolla if it uses the same transmission is a DexronIII spec. My gut feeling was a Dexron anyway. Type F is very different from Dexron/Mercon and if your vehicle isn't specified for type F it will cause extra wear.

You have many choices in the Dexron category. You can go with any DexronVI sucha s Supertech from Walmart, it's all basically the same if it's licensed officially under the DexronVI label. No reason to pay more for the same thing if you go this route.

You could use any mineral based dex/merc available just about anywhere, if you do this try to stick with known good brands as quality can vary.

My favorite choice is Maxlife dex merc which is a full synthetic Dexron replacement at a bargain cost if you can find the gallon on sale.

I would not be afraid to do a couple drain and fills with at least DexronVI. If you go this route do a few drain and fills with about 1,000 miles between them.

Also if you don't have a drain plug, you can vacuum pump or mity vac through the dipstick tube.

I would at minimum top off with anything mentioned above if it's low. If it has a serviceable filter I would be changing that asap.

Thanks.

If it is spec'd for Type F and you put Dexron in, will that cause issue?

It does have a drain plug.

Originally Posted By: OceanRuns
I have no idea what's currently in there. Maybe it's Type F, maybe not.

The manual specifies Type F for all 1975-1982.

Nice car! In '70s-tastic brown, yet!

If it specs Type F, I would stick to that. Type-F lacks friction modifiers that most ATFs have. Putting in a friction modified fluid like Dex or Merc could cause issues...I'd be worried about slippage.

Type F is pretty readily available still.

Brown!
grin.gif

Sorry, not "brown". I'm forgetting my own '70s experience. Back then it would have been called "earth tone".

And I think that's a really rare one. Most were either Liftbacks and Sedans or Wagons. Is this an SR5?

8fb4ace6-6b31-418e-86e0-b52c14723b13_zpsbe12b083.jpg

And an 80s mitsu van! You guys have all the cool stuff.

Believe you have an "A40" trans if that helps you search, and various unreliable sources say Dex II.

If it specifies type F until 82 why does Amsoil specify DexronIII for the 1980 model I looked up... This is very interesting.

The original manual may not be the best source if they found out that Dexron was better and back specd it.

I would hunt up an on line group. There are groups for just about every moving object. I even found one for the Camry

Originally Posted By: Tegger
Brown!
grin.gif

Sorry, not "brown". I'm forgetting my own '70s experience. Back then it would have been called "earth tone".

And I think that's a really rare one. Most were either Liftbacks and Sedans or Wagons. Is this an SR5?

This is a 'Corolla Deluxe', 'Sport Coupe'. I don't believe it's an SR5. The missing badge in the near the 'Sport Coupe' is a Toyota emblem which is under the front seat.

2532baa0-bd58-41e9-a81b-0946c8d82a32_zps289615c0.jpg

43770481-4011-49ce-95eb-7a637c9dda1f_zps39f11e85.jpg

7687c621-8824-4e17-808a-b12e82bbf269_zps71fe48b9.jpg

99f10d61-81f9-4381-9731-c9daed0ab889_zpsee0ef95c.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cjcride
Nice! How was it kept so well?

Someone must have loved it along the line. It starts without much fuss and is a solid runner.

Last edited:
This is a 'Corolla Deluxe', 'Sport Coupe'. I don't believe it's an SR5.

Then you probably don't have that red-LED-display "Command Central" panel in the roof near the rear-view mirror?

Originally Posted By: Tegger
This is a 'Corolla Deluxe', 'Sport Coupe'. I don't believe it's an SR5.

Then you probably don't have that red-LED-display "Command Central" panel in the roof near the rear-view mirror?

I haven't seen anything like that, but it sounds pretty cool
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back