brake issues 02 durango

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey folks my brakes are acting up on my 02 Dodge durango 4.7 2wd. When we bought the truck used 4 years ago I changed the front pads, calipers, and rotors. We have had good stopping power since but in the morning when you first touch the brakes they would lock up. After the first lock up stop they worked fine. Now 4 years later the cold lock up is getting worse. Also when i apply the brakes heavily I hear a clunk, clunk, clunk coming from the drivers front wheel, the clunk can also be felt in the pedal. Do you guys think that a regular front pad/rear shoe replacement will fix these issues? Or do I have other problems? Thanks for any info.

Sounds like some caliper problems. Service stations don't repair calipers, they just replace them, due to labor rates.

You could check if calipers slide freely and lube the caliper pins.

My back brakes were locking up on my Murano, and I was away from home. $900 total bill for new calipers and brake pads.

Last edited:
Have you done any maintenance or cleaning on the calipers in the last 4 years? Might just need new pads, but a good cleaning and lubing of the slide pins always helps.

I would pull the wheels and do a quick inspection. Brakes aren't the kind of thing you want to fail.

Originally Posted By: FLORIDA
Also when i apply the brakes heavily I hear a clunk, clunk, clunk coming from the drivers front wheel, the clunk can also be felt in the pedal. Do you guys think that a regular front pad/rear shoe replacement will fix these issues? Or do I have other problems? Thanks for any info.

Sounds like you got some serious issues with that clunk. Need to get it checked out ASAP!

Will white lithium grease work on the calipers?

NO

Sil-glide or similar from NAPA. It must be high temp caliper grease. Also has to not deteriorate rubber.

Last edited:
Have you bled the brakes? I would also want to do that to get new fluid in the lines in addition to the mentioned other points.

Regards, JC.

One caution, the caliper guide pins are known to strip easily where they thread into the spindle. There is a chance they are damaged already and that's causing the clunk.

There are oversized pins available or you can helicoil it.

Changed calipers and pads. Brakes are a lot better but the click, click, click is still there. I think I'm only hearing it when the brakes are locked up.

Changed calipers and pads. Brakes are a lot better but the click, click, click is still there. I think I'm only hearing it when the brakes are locked up.

Maybe bad wheel bearings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back