Making an offer on Buds

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking at a pistol on Buds Gun Shop that lists for $783 from the manufacturer, and Buds price is $670/make offer. How does their make offer process work? I was thinking of offering $650. Is that a fair offer? Will they counter offer, or is it just an accept/decline thing?

If a gun is not one that is a fast mover, they may take it. Depends on the model and the demand. If it collects dust, a shop is more than often willing to take less.

You can probably assume that the list price is 100% over... That's why retail is often willing to give 20%.

id offer $625 and let them counter.

You're in the business of getting the best deal. Maximizing their profit is not your objective or care.

You can offer as many times you want in blocks of 5, logging out and in to find out their minimum price they will accept. A pistol they 'sell' for $429, they accepted $340.

The offer process is instant and automatic, not human interaction.

I still can't believe the price of guns today.

But... Offer a price you'd be happy to pay that is reasonable and most likely it will be more than fair and the shop owner will probably congratulate you on your purchase.

The price of guns is actually good for some. I mean you can get a steal on a Colt AR these days versus a couple years ago in the pre Sandy Hook.

The AR market is flooded. Now the cheap AK's I do miss.

It is the ammo I wish would go back down. I miss buying a 1,000 round case of ammo for 100 bucks. Or being able to even find 22lr

I want to thank everyone for their responses. The following one is particularly helpful. It sounds like they have a "reserve" price set in the system and anything over that will "win" the item (I know it's not an auction format, but...).

And actually, the "make offer" offer isn't available on all items; so perhaps the fact that it's there at all indicates that it's a slower moving item.

Originally Posted By: kozanoglu
You can offer as many times you want in blocks of 5, logging out and in to find out their minimum price they will accept. A pistol they 'sell' for $429, they accepted $340.

The offer process is instant and automatic, not human interaction.

Originally Posted By: abycat
I'd make an offer of at least 200$ less than the asking price. worse they could do is decline it.

No human interaction in offer process. They set the minimum they will accept, the rest is computer response, automatic reply. If buds set the min. Price as 300, the computer won't accept $299.999. It is not really an offer, counter offer or negotiation process.

They have their min. Price which is not advertised, they sell at their regular price to customers willing to pay more without thinking.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
You can probably assume that the list price is 100% over... That's why retail is often willing to give 20%.

You're in the business of getting the best deal. Maximizing their profit is not your objective or care.

That's a general retail rule.

I thought the margin on guns was a lot less....

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

That's a general retail rule.

I thought the margin on guns was a lot less....

Could be, but again, OP is in no position to guarantee the vendor's profit, and while the vendor has to sell to eat, they have every opportunity to decline the offer. So the market finds a nice center point.

I tried a few offers up to and including $525 and it didn't accept them. So I moved on and bought something from Damascus Gun Shop. I decided I wanted a slightly different model anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back