Lug Nut Socket Set

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
I currently have a set of Blue Point flip socket type lug nut sockets. They work pretty well, but Id like to get a set of sockets with the plastic protectors on them (I could also shrinkwrap or plasti-dip the flip sockets I guess).

I dont want a big set, I really only want 17mm and 19mm (Ive seen a number of sets of three, like 17, 19 and 21mm). Preferably self contained.

US-made, good quality, you know my drill.

Recommendations?

I bought the HF set and they look decent but still unused. For the most part I needed a 17.5mm / 19.5mm socket as I have chrome plated acorn lug nuts. Rusted between chrome and steel.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Warstud
The Snap-On guys will be here shortly to recommend a $500 dollar set for you.

Rather see those options than the recommendation to buy Chinesium.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Can't find usa made ones.

Summit has this, i don't know coo

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/APT-7835/

Found these blue points on ebay. taiwan.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-Point-7-Pie...=item4ae214f1f9

You will cringe, but harbor freight has these. They say they have nylon inserts to protect the lugs. they are cro-mo.

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-drive-sae-metric-lug-nut-impact-sockets-7-pc-69781-9166.html

Sorry i did not find usa made ones.

90 day warranty for the HF sockets? Is this just because they are pneumatic?

I used my HF set on a daily basis for over a year while I did tires at Firestone. They held up. Got them at home now not working on cars anymore. I have to admit that Blue Point set would have looked nice in my cart. But at General Service Tech pay it was HF all the way.

The little chrome ball that holds the flip sockets on the 3" extension failed on my HF lug socket set. I'll get that exchanged one of these days. They are handy to pocket when called out into the parking lot to check torque on an unknown lug size.

I broke my ankle and ended my tire busting career on a dodge acorn lug nut with swollen chrome. I then read (with my foot up in traction) that Blue Point markets a .5mm oversize, as well as a 20mm socket, for this very purpose.

For some asinine reason, on the inch-long lug nuts, techs prior to myself only put the socket halfway on, twisting the chrome cover and wrecking the nuts. An ordinary shallow steel 18mm lugnut lies under that chrome.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
The little chrome ball that holds the flip sockets on the 3" extension failed on my HF lug socket set. I'll get that exchanged one of these days. They are handy to pocket when called out into the parking lot to check torque on an unknown lug size.

I only have 17 and 19mm lugs, and while my flip set hasnt failed, getting the extension in and out is near impossible without hammering it out with a drift.

A direct connecting deep socket is fine by me.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I have to throw these in there just to get a rise out of the HF gang. lol
The best has a price but its not bad at all.
http://www.tools-giant.com/item.php5?id=98849789&lang=en&curr=USD&ref=froogleus

Amazon has them just look for 2309K-17, 2309K-19, 2309K-21 or whatever you need.

Shipping fees alone are insane. I am sure they are exceptionally nice, but spending that kind of money on something that I would potentially use a few times a month (if that) just doesn't make sense to me.

Its okay to search the bargains on oil, but heaven forbid one does that with tools. Tool brands seem more emotional than oil and filter preferences sometimes.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Its okay to search the bargains on oil, but heaven forbid one does that with tools. Tool brands seem more emotional than oil and filter preferences sometimes.

Im certainly searching for bargains, just trying to void Chinesium while at it. Chinese tools are no bargain in lots of ways. Sometimes theres no choice, and while Ill never use the fancy ones mentioned, certainly there is some other option - even if it is just to buy some onesie twosie sockets and some good heat shrink wrap and make my own...

If youve got an issue with my buying strategy, then make your own thread.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Im certainly searching for bargains, just trying to void Chinesium while at it. Chinese tools are no bargain in lots of ways.

If youve got an issue with my buying strategy, then stay out of my thread.

21.gif

I wasn't quoting you therefor I wasn't responding to anything you said. What makes you think I have a problem with your (or anyone else's) buying strategy?

You work for your money. Buy whatever you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back