My Honda 750 project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Down to the empty cases. Head and cylinder are packaged up ready to ship out for machine work. Engine will be mostly stock and used in a café racer style bike. A little more cleaning and I'll be ready to plastigauge the mains / rods.

IMG_0596_zps20d922e8.jpg

IMG_0602_zps1cee1eb7.jpg

I'll post up as I progress.

Amazing!
thumbsup2.gif

Looks like a SOHC 750 from the 2 bolt ignition cover.

Sounds like a good project. I'm a little envious. The CB750K is one of the rare bikes from that era that really didn't have any significant problems.

My only question is, are you going to polish up those cases or black them out?

Sorry guys, Brain [censored].
It's a '78 SOHC CB750K8, last year for the SOHC. I have heard there was a limited production tenth anniversary edition for '79, I have never seen one though.
The cases were black (IIRC this was '78 only), will be painted with silver two part high temp, covers will be polished.

Originally Posted By: JetStar
It's a '78 SOHC CB750K8, last year for the SOHC. I have heard there was a limited production tenth anniversary edition for '79, I have never seen one though.
The cases were black (IIRC this was '78 only), will be painted with silver two part high temp, covers will be polished.

My dad has a 10 year anniversary edition and its the DOHC engine.

I had a '76, in traditional red with gold stripes. I always wanted one, it's the only 4 cyl bike I've owned...and wasn't very impressed with it. Until then I'd had only British and Italian bikes, and I guess I'd come to prefer handling over power.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein

My dad has a 10 year anniversary edition and its the DOHC engine.

Well I guess that explains why I have never seen one. Seems kinda weird to offer a ten year anniversary bike, the year after what you are celebrating has been discontinued. apparently they were celebrating the 750-Four part of it.

Sounds like a fun project.

I've got an 83 yamaha venture I'm slowly getting into shape. I love my harley however in 1983 yamaha had more features,air suspentiin with on board compressor,engine management.
Heck the bike has over 100hp from a 4 cylinder in a v configuration,in 1983.
Does harley have anything there yet other than the v-rod.
Anyway keep us updated,with pics if course.

Honda did switch to DOHC configuration on the CB750 for the 79 model year. As I recall, the DOHC engine wasn't nearly as flawless and reliable as the SOHC. But, at that point the other three Japanese makes had DOHC engines and Honda felt the need no doubt to keep up.

From a maintenance perspective, I always thought that SOHC was much easier, especially valve adjustments. A simple screw and locknut arrangement versus the typical shim and bucket of the DOHC engines.

Until I have some more pictures to share on the Honda, here is my last classic bike project. 1978 Suzuki GS1000, 1085 kit, minor head work, Mikuni Flatslide carbs, welded crankshaft, Dyna electronic ignition.

PICT0033.jpg

PICT0002.jpg

PICT0029.jpg

DSC01617.jpg

Jetstar, what a beautiful bike, great job! May I suggest a 900 Z1 Kawi as your next project?

Originally Posted By: gman2304
Jetstar, what a beautiful bike, great job! May I suggest a 900 Z1 Kawi as your next project?

I would imagine that has crossed his mind
smile.gif

His GS would be a good match for my 81 Kawasaki. I built my motor with GS encounters taken into account
eek.gif

Looking forward to the finished CB.

IMG_0785_zpsbfab39c0.jpg

If I could restore any UJM the Z1 would be at the top of my list. If you find one today, you'll pay top dollar for it. Great aftermarket parts support, not so much from Kawasaki. I can't believe all of the parts I can still get from Suzuki for the GS.
The GS was given to me by my Uncle that bought it new in 1978. It had set in a dirt floor lawn shed for 16 years. While not worn out, around 12,000 miles on a working odometer, corrosion had taken it's toll. So did street racing, the crank was twisted bad enough that I could visually see that 1 and 4 were not at TDC together. That was a common problem if ridden aggressively. That has been taken care of. The GS crank is pressed together since it is 100% ball and roller bearings. The Honda uses plain insert bearings like what you would find in your car. I was thinking Kawasaki's of the same era used ball and roller bearings, but I have never been inside one. Yamaha XS1100, I don't know what crank bearings they use.
Nice Kawasakis Fastgame, I rode an FJR1300 for 5 years and read that the Connie was a rocket. I'd like to ride one someday. This past summer, I traded the FJR for a Victory Cross Country.

If I could have one Japanese bike of the 60's to have and restore, it would be the black bomber cb450. That bike looked cool and put out power comparable to the 650 Brit twins of its day. Plus...torsion bar valve actuation is kind of cool.

If I could have one Japanese bike of the 60's to have and restore, it would be the black bomber cb450. That bike looked cool and put out power comparable to the 650 Brit twins of its day. Plus...torsion bar valve actuation is kind of cool.

I know where there's a big pile of them
shocked.gif
I can send you one if you want to get started...haha

We got to keep busy while the CB 750 is cooking, so....

Here's my brothers pet.

DSC01082_zps6eb20a9a.jpg

Originally Posted By: FastGame

I know where there's a big pile of them
shocked.gif
I can send you one if you want to get started...haha

We got to keep busy while the CB 750 is cooking, so....

Here's my brothers pet.

DSC01082_zps6eb20a9a.jpg

I would totally ask where to get them if I had the scratch to get one going. A new roof and carpet at Chateau Robenstein gives me no such fun money for new two wheeled toys sadly.

Last edited:

Yes Indeed. You ride an FZ1? I have a blue 2007, love that bike.

Yup. Blue 2009. Just bought it in August. Recently bought an R1 shock and adapter for it.

14803825106_d6d9b5b03c_c.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back