Are NJ's Red Light Cameras REALLY off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here, (at Clinton Ave and MLK Blvd, down the street from me,) we see a dizzying array of traffic enforcement red light cameras, AND a half globe.

It is not like the older units. It does not need to be on a pole and have a flash anymore.

7b32b825a6f4d40f810d2dad8e04ba31.jpg

some of those are for controlling the traffic lights.

In other words the light stays green in the other direction until you show up on that camera then it triggers the light to change.

Originally Posted By: Rand
some of those are for controlling the traffic lights.

In other words the light stays green in the other direction until you show up on that camera then it triggers the light to change.

I know they have cameras like that in Ohio because I had a motorist in either Westerville or Worthington have to get out of his car and politely tell me how that worked since I was an out-of-state driver and I was sitting at a particular red light literally forever, so I do know that there are cameras like that, but these do change on the regular. Car or no car. They have another timing source.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
If even one of those camera's could prevent an accident, I'd be the first to support their use. But the real fact of the matter is , they are just money makers for the towns they are in. Towns that just need money, and decided this is a easy way to get it. What about accidents that occurred at intersections that had the camera installed ?. How did they help anything?.,,

Agreed.
They are a cash cow.
We now have photo radar to go with red light cameras. I think it's bull. The vehicle gets the ticket,not the driver,and that's not fair.
The driver should be ticketed for infractions. Anything else is carp and nothing more than a cash grab.

The "red light" cameras are just a revenue device and nothing else. Any statements made about safety are just politicians trying to justify a revenue stream with false claims. The interest of the genera population, safety and the flow of traffic are of no interest to those in charge. Outside operations pay for and install and maintain the cameras for a cut of the action. What's not to like about a deal like that? On top of that a few more fender benders help to keep the local economy moving and the insurance companies raise their rates. Politicians can do all this without spending a dime of their own money while claiming to continue their policy of taking care of our every need and that gets them elected and re-elected. Nothing else matters.

O.P. -- how is anyone on the 'net supposed to know the answer to that question? try calling the traffic control people. whether they tell the truth or not is another matter. but, no one here will know.or, will they ? hehehehehe.
looking at your post count -- each post is not counted immediately, so you're easily over 400 posts in 1 month! lord, help us.you sure do like to "talk" a lot.to each his own, I guess.
are you really technolog? if so, did you ever buy those magic beans?
have a good night.

Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne
Originally Posted By: hypervish
aae439020229cfc784c25576ca04e1c7.jpg

This isn't a redlight camera.

But, yes they are turned off. No decision has been made yet regarding whether they will come back live or not.

They are supposed to remove all of the redlight camera signs soon.

It actually is.. that is why they are aimed at a "stopping line" for cars.

Half-globes catch the area. And they also do a bunch of nothing..

No, I am telling you that is not a redlight camera. LOL, i can't be any more clear.

aae439020229cfc784c25576ca04e1c7.jpg

This isn't a redlight camera.

But, yes they are turned off. No decision has been made yet regarding whether they will come back live or not.

They are supposed to remove all of the redlight camera signs soon.

It actually is.. that is why they are aimed at a "stopping line" for cars.

Half-globes catch the area. And they also do a bunch of nothing..

No, I am telling you that is not a redlight camera. LOL, i can't be any more clear.

It couldn't possibly be a red light camera. Red light cameras can't be mounted on the stoplight. They have to be placed back from the intersection, facing the stoplight so they can get a picture of your vehicle and the red light. A camera mounted on the stoplight can't get a picture of the red light because it's facing away from it.

What you have there is simply a traffic camera.

Quote:

It couldn't possibly be a red light camera. Red light cameras can't be mounted on the stoplight. They have to be placed back from the intersection, facing the stoplight so they can get a picture of your vehicle and the red light. A camera mounted on the stoplight can't get a picture of the red light because it's facing away from it.

I am very surprised at how many think a RLC looks different than what it is. They get revenue from these cameras. This is how they get hundreds of thousands of RLC tickets... there is one as you describe a few blocks away (Broad st and Murray St,) but it is old school.

The camera knows the light is red. You stop over the line, you get your plate snapped. Sane as if you go through it.

Tell you what... I can scan a pic of a RLC ticket I got, personal information blurred. Then you can see how this camera that "can't be a RLC" issues. *in Jersey City, NJ, it takes at least two pics, as well. From this "traffic camera." One is your plate, and one is you through the light. The camera takes multiple pics, and captures the whole intersection.. and if you are even a few INCHES past, you get issued. The zoom handles it.

They seem to vary a lot across the country, the way they work. But the new ones are much more streamlined.

Look for them on separate poles usually a little off access. I've seen them painted brown, green and grey depending on the surroundings. Also, although the majority that I've seen look quite similar to the graphic, they do exist that are sleeker.

See:

http://www.gatso-usa.com/gatso-solutions/red-light-enforcement

http://www.atsol.com/solutions/red-light-safety/

And I agree that the whole thing is more about revenue than safety, I believe most of them are actually contracted out to companies like ATS who install and operate the system.

See:

http://www.motorists.org/red-light-cameras/

In the picture of

Quote:
(at Clinton Ave and MLK Blvd, down the street from me,)

What is that right off the back bumper of the red car at the light?

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
In the picture of

Quote:
(at Clinton Ave and MLK Blvd, down the street from me,)

What is that right off the back bumper of the red car at the light?

Apparently, some kind of solar panel. And it looks disconnected..

92cf4f617a27df00e14f9f5bd573fb77.jpg

6def5e3236a3eb4c23f65102547066da.jpg

54e7f8ee2365c68237dd9365d1c8de47.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back