TGMO 0w-20 or PYB 5w-20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting ready to change the oil in my 2011 Tundra with the 5.7 liter engine. Seriously considering going back to PYB 5w-20, as this is what the dealer used for the first four oil changes Toyota provides with the 2 year maintenance plan. I have to change the oil every 6 months or 5,000 miles(whichever comes first) to keep the powertrain warranty intact. I only run 3 to 4 thousand miles in a 6 month period and the winters are rather mild. I feel like I'm wasting the TGMO changing at such short intervals. Any opinions?

I figure once the powertrain warranty has expired I can go back to a full synthetic and change it once a year.

Last edited:
I thought that you could go 1 yr or 10000 on TGMO or maybe any 0 W 20 to still keep the warranty unless you fit some extreme use condition. I think the 5 weights reduce the interval.

Originally Posted By: Lex94
Pennzoil High Mileage 5w20 might be more shear stable.

The PYB data sheets and High mileage data sheets that I've found today (old, like 2010/11) show them the same in every respect...but stuff's changed since then.

Using A Harman's technique posted here gives the PYB a score of 0.928, versus TGMO 0.844, so the PYB displays less temporary shear (and possibly better shear stability through the OCI)

Originally Posted By: oilstudent24
I thought that you could go 1 yr or 10000 on TGMO or maybe any 0 W 20 to still keep the warranty unless you fit some extreme use condition. I think the 5 weights reduce the interval.

OP probably has the flex fuel motor, which is 5k interval when running on gas. For some unknown reason.

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: oilstudent24

OP probably has the flex fuel motor, which is 5k interval when running on gas. For some unknown reason.

No, I don't have flex fuel engine. The 2011 5.7L Tundra's came from the factory with 5w-20. You can run 0w-20 per the manual but you still must follow the 6 month/5,000 mile interval.

Last edited:
It is not Resource Conserving ILSAC garbage (It seems to be the only high mileage oil is non-RC) so it should be excellent.

http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_GTDS_Pennzoil_High_Mileage_Vehicle_5W-20_Motor_Oil_%28SN%29_%28en%29_TDS.pdf

Here is the 5w30 version:

http://www.pqiamerica.com/June 2014/PZHM.htm

Last edited:
PYB would be a great choice.

My dealer used 5W-20 Mobil Super 5000 dino through the factory two year maintenance period on my 5.7 liter Toyota Land Cruiser.

Don't overlook Havoline 5W-20 either.

There are very few "bad" 5W-20's out there.

use a 10w30, less viscosity index improvers + a stronger oil overall. generally 6 mo is recommended change for mineral oils including group III legally labeled synthetic. mobil I extended performance uses some PAO real synthetic + is recommended for longer drains. group III fake synthetics are cleaner + flow better with very little wax etc left after refining.you can go to the top of the oil chain, Amsoil signature series group IV + V real synthetic, with no wax etc as its formulated not refined!! its high TBN + quality base oils are made for yearly drains as i do. i change the filter @ 6 mo's, thats just me

Originally Posted By: benjy
use a 10w30, less viscosity index improvers + a stronger oil overall. generally 6 mo is recommended change for mineral oils including group III legally labeled synthetic. mobil I extended performance uses some PAO real synthetic + is recommended for longer drains. group III fake synthetics are cleaner + flow better with very little wax etc left after refining.you can go to the top of the oil chain, Amsoil signature series group IV + V real synthetic, with no wax etc as its formulated not refined!! its high TBN + quality base oils are made for yearly drains as i do. i change the filter @ 6 mo's, thats just me

What a load of garbage.

Originally Posted By: benjy

You'd think our members would be above this.

More perpetuation of nonsense,wrapped up with a bow of toilet paper.

In your application, PYB without a second thought. No reason to pay for a synthetic oil and dump it at 5k in your application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back