New Diesel oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gasoilne standards established by the EPA only allow a 30 ppm of sulfur in gasoline. Diesel standards are 15 ppm. Both of which are dramatically low in the broad scheme of things. Gasoline sulfur allowances of a decade ago were 300 ppm for large refiners, and 800 ppm for small refiners. Diesel during the same time frame was 500 ppm. Gasoline sulfur levels are low enough that a low TBN oil would perform well. If a 10 TBN oil low SAPS can go for 25,000 miles in my diesel, not sure why an 8-10 TBN oil for a gas engine would not do equally as well.

Originally Posted By: gyrfalcon
Originally Posted By: loneryder
What does your manual say about biodiesel?

If you're asking me:

Originally Posted By: Diesel Cruze Manual
Biodiesel blends: It is acceptable to use diesel fuel containing up to 20% biodiesel (B20). The diesel fuel portion of the blend must meet the same specification, ASTM D975 (Grades number 2-D or number 1-D S15 commonly known as Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel), as other fuels used in your vehicle, and the biodiesel used for making this fuel must meet the latest version of ASTM specification D6751.

Your car does not have a long OCI does it? Isn't yours 5 or 6k?

Originally Posted By: fpracha
This is the same guy who reported sludging in gas engines using the ESP oils. Mobil sent 3 guys to visit him as he was reporting it on a mechanics forum that he moderates. They denied there was a problem but notified all MB dealers not to use ESP oils in gas engines. Mechanic thinks the acids in the alcohol react with something in the ESP oil to cause them to sludge within a normal oci.

hello loneryder,
Thank you for the information here !
WHICH ingredients of the ESP oils are said to be reacting with the alcohols/acids in the fuel ?
any input will be greatly appreciated as we use the Extended Drain Oils extensively and would like to avoid any unknown sludge issues in future!

I don't know any more than what Kory said.

I think my Mobil 1 ESP has around 6-7 TBN which seems low but it will go 10k miles and put out a good analysis.
I didn't know US gas was that low? I've heard Euro gas is very low and they don't use ethanol. No big corn industry to pay off.

Your car does not have a long OCI does it? Isn't yours 5 or 6k?

The US/Canadian Cruze Diesel has an alternating maintenance schedule of 7000 to 7500 miles where different things need to be checked. You are supposed to check the oil level each fuel up. After the "Change Engine Oil Soon" message appears you have 600 miles to change the oil. The oil life system determines the OCI.

I've been having my oil changed at around 7,000 mile intervals before the warning appears. Chevrolet recommends only using Dexos2 branded oil. They say 5W-30 (or 0W-30 in cold climates) can be used as long as it meets ACEA C3 and is the appropriate viscosity grade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back