Dish Network viewers lose Fox News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
We do not have cable, no dish, no TV antenna. Yep, the TVs we do own , they only show what we hook to the laptops/HDMI cable.

We watch Hulu/YouTube stuff and no we have not gone through any withdrawal issues. There are no remote TV arguments now, mostly silence in the house---try it sometime. No TV news, it will lower your anxiety and blood pressure and increase your bank balance.

Can you stream the NASCAR races?

As far a blood pressure I take pills for that.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Originally Posted By: jcwit
It's my understanding A'la Cart is only a few years away.

I WISH! There have been bills put before Congress numerous times over the last two decades to force TV providers to do just that. They pretty much always die in committee. Old (big dish) satellite providers used to offer that option. I wonder, though, if you would really save any money once you got done picking just the channels that you wanted. I'd still like to see it, but apparently there are too many big players with vested interests in keeping it the way it is.

If the providers have their way (and they always do), even if ala cart is made available, they'll make the individual channels so expensive that it'll be less expensive to go with the same ol plans we've been going with all along...

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Originally Posted By: jcwit
It's my understanding A'la Cart is only a few years away.

I WISH! There have been bills put before Congress numerous times over the last two decades to force TV providers to do just that. They pretty much always die in committee. Old (big dish) satellite providers used to offer that option. I wonder, though, if you would really save any money once you got done picking just the channels that you wanted. I'd still like to see it, but apparently there are too many big players with vested interests in keeping it the way it is.

If the providers have their way (and they always do), even if ala cart is made available, they'll make the individual channels so expensive that it'll be less expensive to go with the same ol plans we've been going with all along...

None of this is known for a fact, we'll see.

We don't know what the future brings.

Note to self: reading through this thread has reaffirmed my decision not to waste my time parked in front of the idiot box, and paying exorbitant monthly fees to do so.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Note to self: reading through this thread has reaffirmed my decision not to waste my time parked in front of the idiot box, and paying exorbitant monthly fees to do so.

Your choice.

I happen to enjoy FOX News, ESPN "NASCAR", History Channel, AMC, & the Western channel, these are my wife's and I favorites, other fit in here and there.

When you're old "71" and disabled "unable to walk", TV & reading are pure entertainment.

All this is just business and their business is just numbers. Customers beyond paying their monthly bill just get in the way. They know customers will not band together and stop paying so these contract negotiations are just business as usual. If enough customers really dropped off these negotiations would be done in one day and Fox News would be back on line. Until then you're just in the way. Oh, and remember to pay your bill this month.

I have had Dish and CableVision....I have now had Direct TV for 3 years. Absolutely the best of the three that i've had. At least for my area. I live on top of a small mountain and we get some very nasty winds and storms. EX: Often rain at bottom of road, light snow at my house. True to science, adiabatic cooling rate (2.8F per 1k ft elev gain) is in effect.

I have lost my cable signal about 3xs in 3 years and max outage was a few hours.

WSJ had an article about Dish a few days ago.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/dish-networks-pugnacious-boss-racks-up-tv-brawls-1419295569

It's Charlie Ergen vs. the media companies; he's done this to other networks too.

Tim Carry, the Fox News executive in charge of distribution, said the deal rejected by Dish is the same one that other distributors have accepted.

One reason Dish is making more noise than other distributors is that five of its biggest rivals—Comcast Corp., Time Warner Cable Inc., Charter Communications Inc., DirecTV and AT&T Inc.—are tied up in regulatory reviews of pending mergers, and likely don’t want to attract unwanted attention with major programming disputes, analysts say.

Dish declined to comment.

Mr. Ergen has made clear how he believes these battles will play out: Some channels will simply get cut out of pay-TV packages for good.

As far as streaming Fox News, when I use Roku some of the content is there, but not enough. For example, Bill O'Reilly seems to own his own business (similar to David Letterman or Oprah Winfrey) so you get "Talking Points", the first 7 minutes of his show, but no more.

Also, you have to add two "channels", FOX News and Roku Newscaster, in order to get to the content you can get to.

I can't watch all of Special Report, just parts (I can get the roundtable segments). I think I can watch all of Greta Van Susteren's show.

Anyway, although you're missing their Christmas shows, all the regular staff are on vacation now so you're only missing whomever is filling in for the regulars now, if that's any consolation.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
We do not have cable, no dish, no TV antenna. Yep, the TVs we do own , they only show what we hook to the laptops/HDMI cable.

We watch Hulu/YouTube stuff and no we have not gone through any withdrawal issues. There are no remote TV arguments now, mostly silence in the house---try it sometime. No TV news, it will lower your anxiety and blood pressure and increase your bank balance.
This is how it is here. No cable, no TV service at all. We only have the TV for watching movies on the Blu-Ray player. No need to waste hours sitting in front of an idiot box here.

Dish is dying. I switched to Direct TV many years ago when Dish lost the Baseball package and I have no regrets. Direct TV is expensive, but they have everything I want. I also watch Fox News a lot, as well as Fox Business. I haven't watched MSNBC or CNN in many years.

I often cringe at much of what you post, but in this case, you're spot on.
Why waste time reading, applying a little critical thinking and arriving at a coherent opinion on anything when you can just have the word delivered to you on the idiot tube?
Does anyone wonder why everything from poitical discourse to individual public behavoir has reached the gutter?
The reliance people place on the idiot box and the credence they grant the news reader's every utterance offers a good part of the answer.

So your internet provider gives you service for free?
OR, if you post your messages on this site from your phone, your phone provider gives you your service for free?
Don't throw rocks inside your glass house, Pops.

Originally Posted By: jimbrewer
..The average viewer is 68 years old so its not a prized demographic..

Ha some of the seniors hanging at our yacht club and country club have earned plenty of money
yet seemingly harbor no qualms about spending at least some of it, "demographic" notwithstanding.

Upside is I ditched my TVs years ago and don't even miss it.

Originally Posted By: splinter

Upside is I ditched my TVs years ago and don't even miss it.

Well good for you!

So just where do you get all your news from, the yacht club?

It is California after all.

Maybe just read Fox News online along with other viable news sources to form your own opinion? Watching cable news is one single minded point of view while reading actually stimulates you to maybe explore further. You can read Fox News(for free), I do along with liberal, foreign and paid ones(thru library pass).

Good luck.

I think we're slowly moving toward an era when the "cord cutters" are becoming a significant segment of the population. It's $74/mo where I live for extended cable service that has about 50 channels. The Dish/DirecTV equivalent will get you about 120 channels for ~$49/mo. I use a good quality HDTV indoor antenna and get about 35-40 free channels over the air with better, uncompressed picture which include the channels I want and some that I don't want. Thankfully, I get my news from local sources and the internet. The "argue and advertising" media model of CNBC, Fox etc. doesn't give me much in the way of substance and I personally can't see making a decision on keeping or dumping satellite/cable based on losing one of these outlets. I don't miss cable / satellite at all and invest the savings into something that'll actually matter to my future...like my IRA.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv

Who's to say Direct TV won't have a contract fight with Fox News in the future?

Well they're both owned by NewsCorp.
wink.gif

What's scary is having content providers and distributors under common ownership.
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back