Samsung 840 Pro SSD in...

Status
Not open for further replies.
need a better screenshot with full names and directories

you can widen them out with the mouse. might need to take one screenshot with a wide name column and one screenshot with a wide directory column.

Originally Posted By: Rand
need a better screenshot with full names and directories

you can widen them out with the mouse. might need to take one screenshot with a wide name column and one screenshot with a wide directory column.

(Thanks, Pete)
OK Here are 2 s-shots with names and command column expanded.

power reg, and spotify can go.

not really a whole lot of pork fat in there.

if you actually use spotify might as well let that load.. or you will just be waiting the 2-3 seconds later.

you laptop has many files loading for integrated peripherals

Edit: yes I meant the location/command column as you figured out.

Last edited:
Yeah I don't think the registration thing is needed. I thought it had to do with battery maintenance - lOL - "powereg" - misleading name.

Actually when I click on spotify later, it's instantaneous. So I think i will leave it out of start up.

Rand, QP helped me figure out that you meant COMMAND column.
Thanks guys.

I am getting the itch for a clean install, like QP did...
smile.gif

QP: did you get the windows 7 ISO from digital river?

Originally Posted By: 97tbird

Not sure what digital river is. I think I got mine from Amazon - it was actually a W7 upgrade disc (to upgrade from Vista), but I somehow managed to do a fresh w7 install with it.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Not sure what digital river is. I think I got mine from Amazon - it was actually a W7 upgrade disc (to upgrade from Vista), but I somehow managed to do a fresh w7 install with it.

'Upgrade' discs have a full Windows install on them. If you want to do a clean install with it, you just have to provide a key to the previous version of Windows along with the new key.

I used the lenovo software to make a factory restore usb flash drive.

I then used that on the SSD
(I still had the current os on the former 2.5" hdd)

I have a samsung 830 in my t520 w/FHD display

and a crucial m4 in my tower.

Next good sale I'm swapping the 128GB m4 into my router and putting a samsung 840 evo or pro into the desktop.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
you just have to provide a key to the previous version of Windows along with the new key.

Yeah, this is the issue I was having as it wouldn't take either of my keys, maybe because the original key was for an OEM version and not a full version. Anyway, a registry hack took care of it.

Glad you figured out the digital river.

I used this tool recently to make the bootable USB to reload windows 7 on my T500 with I also added a $60 tiny PNY SSD drive to:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

Another massive tip on Lenovo/IBM T series is you put a normal cheapo HDD in the swappable Ultrabay Tray Ultraby tray($10-$40) where CD/DVD resides typically. I moved my 1 TB drive there still retains all the storage. I love Thinkpads worth every penny. I got the $40 tray version from a more reputable brand but China stuff is $10 and likely works.

The $60 in my T500 makes it boot in about 18 seconds and programs load instantly. My kids now love the computer. I wish video driver was better (cannot achieve HD due to low end video) but for a 6 year computer blows away most modern stuff in response running a HDD.

Yeah I have thought about the Ultrabay to HDD conversion but I use the DVD drive quite a bit, actually. And I can always use my ext HD for storage if the SSD ever gets close to full.

I have read about the MS bootable USB tool, but I think as I am using the DVD drive anyways, I might just burn the ISO to a dvd, and use that, and then I don't have to fiddle with changing the boot order in BIOS, etc... (BIOS scares me in general)

And yes, Thinkpads rock. I am pretty sure if I do a clean Win 7 install, I can cut a lot off the boot time.
Programs, though, like yours, open instantly - it's almost scary
smile.gif

I did migration using Samsung migration tool

Were you able to move your recovery partition that way, too?

I read somewhere that Samsung Migration Tool cannot replicate OEM recovery partitions.

I am just a bit worried that the boot times are not in 20 sec range as a lot of people yell about.

Don't feel bad. After putting in an SSD in my Lenovo X230, my boot time is 1 minute and 45 seconds. It was more than 3 minutes before that.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Were you able to move your recovery partition that way, too?

I read somewhere that Samsung Migration Tool cannot replicate OEM recovery partitions.

Actually, using the latest version of Samsung Migration Tool, I was able to migrate both partitions (OS and Recovery). Although Samsung didn't allow me to make the recovery partition as small as the original. I ended up using Partition Wizard afterwards to size it down and give the reclaimed space to the primary partition.

Well...wait: I thought I wasn't able to do that, but it looked like it DID ?? I also remember having to adjust its size...

Now, is there anything like a test I can do to do CONFIRM that it indeed replicate the OEM rec. partition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back