Bought a brand new 2015 Accord coupe v6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a black 2010 Accord coupe 4 cyl and traded that in on a new 2015 Accord Coupe EX-L v6 navi. Love this new car and hope it treats me as well as the 2010 did. The interior and technology is a major improvement vs the older Accord. The v6 seems to average around 28 to 30 mpg and although no race car it gets out of its own way.

Any advice with the Honda 3.5 VCM engine? I know the older ones had some oil consumption issues but maybe Honda fixed that by now.

Sorry for the lack of pics bit the weather has been nothing but rain or no sun. Hopefully I can get the car washed and snap a few pics over the weekend.

And this is my old Accord.... I returned the car back to mostly stock at trade in so the new one will be getting tinted, lowered and 20's just like the 2010

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Please tell me you didn't get an automatic....

Go easy on him, maybe it has paddle shifters.

Looks nice, I know the vcm issues were mainly at steady highway Speed/or when in eco mode. So either do a lot of city driving or change rpm a lot on the highway.

What oil are you planning to run in this car? Might be a nice candidate for Castrol's new Magnatec 0W20 if you are willing to do UOA's and experiment.

That first pic, I thought your car in in your bedroom for a while! Crazy color scheme for a garage.

Nice car! I have a sedan but with the four. With all of the driving I do, I needed max economy. Next one will be a six. Enjoy!

Thanks!
Every one thought I was crazy for painting my garage those colors and putting in nice cabinets. It [censored] near looks like another room on my house!

When spring gets here the 20's will go on the new car, lowering springs next month and most of the tint is done. I have to do the windshield still.

I have no idea what oil to run...... I think the Honda dealer uses bulk Valvoline. There is a good chance I will be on a steady diet of Mobil 1 AFE 0W20

Last edited:
Good looking car!

Is that Grand Prix under the cover?
I know this about the Accord but what are the details on that?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Please tell me you didn't get an automatic....

What a waste. I miss my 2004 Accord Sedan 4 cylinder manual.

Congrats on your new Honda. Unfortunately, I became an expert on VCM as our 2011 was part of the class action settlement. I too hope that Honda has engineered their way out of their predicament but many Honda loyalists got burned and swore off the brand as a result of Honda's heavy-handed treatment of their customers while they tried to figure out the problems. This issue also resulted in Honda's unbelievable market position that burning up to 1 quart per thousand miles in their brand new engines was "normal". Honda's lawyers and marketeers ultimately did a great job hiding this issue from the public.

For the 2011 MY, Honda changed the oil control rings and added a moly-impregnation to the piston skirts that gradually dissolved into the factory fill. This was the origin of dealer's insistence that the factory fill not be changed early. I lab tested every oil change on our Accord and can attest to the accuracy of the MM, so I have no hesitation telling people to follow the factory recommendations and do the first and subsequent oil changes at 10% which will be about 6,000 miles. Since Honda believes high moly helps avoid problems, I'd look for a high moly oil then follow all factory service recommendations and make sure to document them.

At 35,000 miles now with our 2011, we have avoided problems and burn only 1/2 qt between oil changes at 0% on the MM (about 8,000 miles) using full syn 0W-20. Other than this concern, the V6 Accord has been a wonderful car. So, enjoy yours and start by simply checking your oil levels regularly. As stated warier, the problems occurred in those car's used for steady state highway driving. Long intervals in Eco mode where one side of the engine gets no fire, resulted in uneven block cooling which allowed crankcase oil to get past the piston rings, foul plugs and disappear out the tail pipe. So, vary speed during long highway trips so that Eco cycles on and off frequently.

Last edited:
Nice ride, and yes an automatic as I get older is the way to go,but that statement is not true on my Harley,,,I do not know why. whoops, they do not make an automatic Sportster,,not yet anyway.

Wow, Happy Holidays! Nice car. I didn't know the VCM was an issue until reading this. I'm sure Honda worked it out by now?

Enjoy the car, looks really sharp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back