Does saving on oil even matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love a deal. I look for savings on everything I buy. With that said, in a relative sense, does it even matter if you save on oil?

To me, shopping gas prices, negotiating a vehicles sales price (new or used), shopping for best insurance rates, and not over maintaining are far bigger factors than oil prices.

If you spend $15 or conventionals and go 5K OR you spend $25 on a syn and go 7.5K or 10K, the only thing you pay is a few dollars over an entire interval. Almost nothing. Easily outweighed by everything listed above, or, not buying a few C-store soft drinks.

Anyone else see it this way?

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
I love a deal. I look for savings on everything I buy.

I am referring to the prioritizing.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
I love a deal. I look for savings on everything I buy. With that said, in a relative sense, does it even matter if you save on oil?

To me, shopping gas prices, negotiating a vehicles sales price (new or used), shopping for best insurance rates, and not over maintaining are far bigger factors than oil prices.

If you spend $15 or conventionals and go 5K OR you spend $25 on a syn and go 7.5K or 10K, the only thing you pay is a few dollars over an entire interval. Almost nothing. Easily outweighed by everything listed above, or, not buying a few C-store soft drinks.

Anyone else see it this way?

It matters to the psyche of the average BITOGer

I don't even look at price when it comes to oil and filters. Not enough to matter to me since I do a 6 month interval. I think focusing on something that minuscule in relation to yearly expenses is a bit overboard.

What are we talking about anyway? The price of a couple of latte's or mocha's in 12 months time?

With minimal effort (Gas Buddy app), I can easily save $2.50-$3.00 a fill up on gas alone. In a month (gas up 4X) my oil is PAID!

Yes, it matters.

My previous car, I owned from 80k to 345k miles. I did approximately 40 oil changes. If I saved $10 per change, that's $400, which happens to be 10% of the purchase price for me. I likely saved more than $10 per change by stocking up with FAR (free after rebate) oil and filters.

I also spent more on gas than the purchase price of that vehicle, so mpg matters. I averaged 34 (the 'old' EPA hwy est) over its lifespan.

For examples with investing and compound interest, see the "latte effect".
Little expenses CAN add up.

i would rather pay full price and get the item or brand i really want
also sythetic oil caused my car to leak badly i will never purchase it again

I remember a story I heard on the radio a few years ago. It was Dave Ramsey, I think. He told about an acquaintance he was riding with that just had bought a Mercedes (or similar) for over $50K. He was trying to park in a downtown area of a major city, and circled around and around looking for "cheap" parking. he wanted to spend $7 or $8, instead of $10 or $12.

Just think about that!

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Yes, it matters.

My previous car, I owned from 80k to 345k miles. I did approximately 40 oil changes. If I saved $10 per change, that's $400, which happens to be 10% of the purchase price for me. I likely saved more than $10 per change by stocking up with FAR (free after rebate) oil and filters.

I also spent more on gas than the purchase price of that vehicle, so mpg matters. I averaged 34 (the 'old' EPA hwy est) over its lifespan.

For examples with investing and compound interest, see the "latte effect".
Little expenses CAN add up.

If you buy oil like some people buy clothes, then you need to factor in the time you are spending and ask yourself if that time is wasted.

But one big benefit in looking out for oil deals is if you make it a one time event per vehicle which saves you time in the future. It is pretty clear that sealed oil, kept in reasonable temperatures, does not have a shelf life.

So my huge stash of Mercon V, purchased with a one off effort while I was out that day near 3 Autozones anyway, has not only saved me $175, but it also means I never have to shop for Mercon V again.

On the Gas question, Costco have made this really easy for me. I want top tier and the lowest price. Costco is both. At certain times, there is very little waiting and we go to Costco all the time anyway.

What I guess I'm getting at is that you don't want to spend your whole life working to save. You should try and make your savings automatic.

Absolutely it matters. Why on earth would I pay 26.00 for conventional oil when I can get it on sale for 15.00 instead....or pay 47.00 for syn when I can get it for 29.00. During specials you stock up until the next special rolls around. To me what is silly is someone that drives out of their way to get cheaper gas and that is only small savings considering the gas and time used to get those few cents cheaper.

It matters. Scoring 5 oil changes for $23 recently is totally worth it to me. Otherwise that oil would cost me about $125 at oil change special price. That's $100 I can put toward other things.

I bought over 200 qts. for $1.00 to $1.50 each, but that was done in only two purchases. I don't mess with MIR's, etc. My time is too valuable.

I won't drive out of my way for gas either. I buy the cheapest top tier gas I can find along my normal route.

I buy the oil and filter I want...never the cheapest or what is on sale. Whatever stores I go to the price difference is negligible and not worth the extra time and effort.

I see no valid reason to try to save a few dollars. Especially when it involves constant searching the ads and driving to various places. At least not for my needs. I know what oil I want and what the price will generally be, anyplace I go.

Of course it matters. Oil is a household expense same as food or any other expense. I try to save some money where I can and that includes vehicle operating expenses. But its really on the low end of the $$ savings but everything adds up in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back