Something only a "Bitoger" would notice

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it's family day here at the GreeCguy household. As we're waiting for children and grandchildren to arrive, my wife and I were watching "Jingle all the Way" with Arnold Schwarzenegger.

In one of the scenes, he drives his SUV to a warehouse to pick up a black market "Turbo man" doll for his son. As he arrives, I couldn't help but notice his vehicle was sporting some impressive looking "Michelin" brand tires, (the Michelin being clearly obvious because of the white lettering on the tires).

However, in the next scene, his tires are plainly solid black with no name brand showing. It made me wonder if they swapped them out because of limited advertising.

I await your opinions - meanwhile, I'm eating cheese cake.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
I remember that movie. They were Michelin LTX M/S tires.

I knew I had come to the right place
smile.gif

Very true about BITOG people! I don't remember what it was that I was watching, but there was a guy that appeared to be driving an Xterra, yet when the camera got the shifter in the scene a couple of of times it was clearly in park yet there was trees,and such passing by the window.

They probably had a few different identical trucks for different scenes/purposes. One truck had Michelin tires on it, another one didn't.

Ha! I notice stuff like that too! And how a lot of shows and movies take emblems off so you cant read the brand name because obviously Ford or whoever didnt pay up for the advertisement.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
They probably had a few different identical trucks for different scenes/purposes. One truck had Michelin tires on it, another one didn't.

That would be my guess as well. Someone in the transportation department missed the training on "continuity."

Yep this is probably it. I haven't seen the movie...was the vehicle involved in any sort of car chase or high speed driving during the movie?

I hate to listen to all the shifting in movies when they are traveling on the freeway. If you start counting you'd think they were driving a 20 speed manual trans. The other bad thing in that being from Central/Southern CA you notice all the native trees and such in the back ground even though the film take place at some other location. Dukes of Hazard was the worst, how much dead grass and CA coast live oaks have you seen in the South/East!?

Originally Posted By: Kuato

Yep this is probably it. I haven't seen the movie...was the vehicle involved in any sort of car chase or high speed driving during the movie?

Well, one of them gets put on bricks and stripped. (bad neighborhood)

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Originally Posted By: Kuato

Well, one of them gets put on bricks and stripped. (bad neighborhood)

Yeah probably enough to use the other vehicle, or maybe they had to reshoot a scene....

The company I used to work for used to get "placement" style advertising opportunities all the time. From time to time, they would take them up on the offer - sometimes even using the movie as a launching point for a promotion.

My best guess is that the scene where the logo is prominent was shot AFTER an agreement was made - where other scenes were shot BEFORE. I don't know how these things are handled by the movie producers, but I'll bet there is someone who looks for such opportunities and very early on, solicits offers.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

That would be my guess as well. Someone in the transportation department missed the training on "continuity."

Agree.

It's pretty common to use multiple prop vehicles for the same role in a movie. Especially if there is a part of the movie that involves some sort of destruction of the vehicle.

I remember reading somewhere about all the Dodge Chargers destroyed on sets of the Dukes of Hazzard. I can't remember the exact numbers, but literally hundreds of Chargers were crashed over the course of the Dukes of Hazzard series.

Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
Dukes of Hazard was the worst, how much dead grass and CA coast live oaks have you seen in the South/East!?

Hey now... at least they filmed the pilot and part of the first season in Georgia. Its painfully obvious when the red clay and green trees turned into sandy dirt and SoCal desert scrub.

Or as Mike Myers slipped into the dialogue of Austin Powers: "Its amazing how the English countryside looks nothing at all like Southern California..."

From time to time 'casting calls' can go out to local car clubs looking for certain vintage vehicles for a film production. Sometimes they can also include a very exacting call to match up to a vehicle the production company already has and likely come to some grief or a bad end. I've responded a couple times with some of my 'old stuff' but both times were close by and once they used my neighborhood for multiple scenes=pretty easy and benign-I don't care to have my cars damaged/abused so limit my involvement. Some guys do this quite a bit. We haven't had as much film activity lately, but the Twin Cities has been the location for quite a few productions over the years. The Coen brothers grew up a cople of miles from me and like to use 'home turf' some.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
Dukes of Hazard was the worst, how much dead grass and CA coast live oaks have you seen in the South/East!?

Hey now... at least they filmed the pilot and part of the first season in Georgia. Its painfully obvious when the red clay and green trees turned into sandy dirt and SoCal desert scrub.

Or as Mike Myers slipped into the dialogue of Austin Powers: "Its amazing how the English countryside looks nothing at all like Southern California..."

I think all but the last season was filmed in Georgia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back