Purolator L14476 cut-open 12K miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: filb14
Originally Posted By: sprite1741
Not here. They get deliveries on Thursdays for hard and soft lines. never seen a cheap filter like purolator have straight pleats unless they were unused or went really low miles. I wasn't there but a lot of strange things in your story that don't add up. The purolator fan boys will love your post though, I think it needs proper vetting and your wal-mart comment adds more mystery.

Whether you believe or not, is your problem. I have no plans on convincing you.
Also, I'm not a Purolator fan boy. On my van & car, I have run OEM, Wix(I didn't like this because of price), PureOne, and now on Fram Ultra.

Since you suspect Walmart process, maybe it's you need to prove they're really inefficient.

There are those who hate Walmart because their union boss string pullers told them to. Of course they're all "experts" on the Walmart logistics system.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sayjac
Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
I wager 12k in that sort of time did the filter/oil good.

I'd be more concerned with a classic going those miles in more severe service or perhaps even less miles with short trips.......

+1 Said it before, highway miles at operating temperature with less moisture/condensation and fuel dilution cycles is easier on filter media (and oil), especially cellulose type. This anecdote would appear to correlate with that conclusion. 12k miles done in this time frame means a much higher ratio of highway miles at operating temp to short trips as well as a summer oci/fci which also reduces the moisture/condensation.

In any case this one looks great, and even more so considering the miles. Also thinking that engine is fairly clean.

I'll add it's unfortunate imo that a member would question the integrity of the OP and his well explained posts here. I've also said that 'imo' I believe 'some' may actually be disappointed when Puros exhibit no issues such as the OP's. My advice would be to ignore the comment, as the vast majority are positive.

Thanks for taking the time to cut and post pics and explain the oci/fci including time frame.
I agree.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Not here. They get deliveries on Thursdays for hard and soft lines. never seen a cheap filter like purolator have straight pleats unless they were unused or went really low miles. I wasn't there but a lot of strange things in your story that don't add up. The purolator fan boys will love your post though, I think it needs proper vetting and your wal-mart comment adds more mystery.

Also, I'm not a Purolator fan boy. On my van & car, I have run OEM, Wix(I didn't like this because of price), PureOne, and now on Fram Ultra.

Since you suspect Walmart process, maybe it's you need to prove they're really inefficient.

There are those who hate Walmart because their union boss string pullers told them to. Of course they're all "experts" on the Walmart logistics system.
OT-People hate on WM because they've run a lot of smaller retailers out of business (& are a major factor in Sears/K-Mart's problems) & they don't pay nor treat their lower level employees very well-but I would like to know how much they've SAVED ordinary consumers by forcing other retailers to be more efficient & lower their prices-I bet it's in the TRILLIONS!

filb-if you get a chance, post a straight-on picture of the metal seam crimp on that filter-it still looks like they've changed something on those. I may have to try to exchange some of my older Classic stash at WM if they really have fixed them. Wish there was a way to determine the date of the change...

Saw topic'd filter in WM with the same 11/7/14 build date. Classic's seem to move fairly quickly and have recent build dates at local WM's in this area.

Good looking filter.

Thanks for posting.

No tears and 12,000 + miles is a good test for a $3.27 oil filter.

Funny that some folks are reacting like you told them there was no Santa Claus.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Good looking filter.

Thanks for posting.

No tears and 12,000 + miles is a good test for a $3.27 oil filter.

Funny that some folks are reacting like you told them there was no Santa Claus.

WHAT?!
crazy2.gif

grin2.gif

Maybe the elves at Purolator finally figured out how to make oil filters ... again. Maybe they fired Santa who only knew how to make toys.

HoHoHo ... Merry Christmas!
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Maybe the elves at Purolator finally figured out how to make oil filters ... again. Maybe they fired Santa who only knew how to make toys.

HoHoHo ... Merry Christmas!
grin2.gif

+1

Now I know the sky is falling! They fired Santa Claus?!!! Say it isn't so. LOL!

..'Or something else.' Like the reality of the OP's 12k mile anecdote. It's somewhat comical to read the reaction of some when a paradigm they desire to view as unbreakable is fractured.

As for the off topic mention of Sears/KMart, one need look no further than Sears Holdings CEO hedge fund manager Eddie Lampert for their failure. There is a recent Bitog thread on the topic.

It's somewhat comical to read the reaction of some when a paradigm they desire to view as unbreakable is fractured.

Yeah, I got a kick out of those guys telling people to keep using the Purolators even though they were tearing, too.

Originally Posted By: SlipperyPete
It's somewhat comical to read the reaction of some when a paradigm they desire to view as unbreakable is fractured.

Yeah, I got a kick out of those guys telling people to keep using the Purolators even though they were tearing, too.

LOL ... yeah, that was kind of comical. One troll even claimed he kept using torn coffee filters because it didn't pass much coffee grounds and his coffee still tasted OK.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: SlipperyPete

Didn't see any of those in this thread, nor have I have done such. However, I did see what I referenced so I attempted to keep it on topic. Questioning/doubting the OP's integrity in this thread, I have seen. And based on some of the follow up posts I'm not alone.

im sorry but this does not look like a purolator i have ever seen after 12,000 miles they usually don't look this good after 3000 miles either they improved dramatically or there is something i am missing. Time will tell when we keep cutting open the filters. It would be nice to see them look like that even after 3000 miles but i don't see that happening anytime soon.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
im sorry but this does not look like a purolator i have ever seen after 12,000 miles they usually don't look this good after 3000 miles either they improved dramatically or there is something i am missing. Time will tell when we keep cutting open the filters. It would be nice to see them look like that even after 3000 miles but i don't see that happening anytime soon.

Are you suggesting:
1. Walmart is selling counterfeit Purolator Classic filters, and that somehow I got lucky and bought one of those?
Or
2. Purolator "recently" improved their products.

which do you think is more plausible?

How can you say with certainty that it's not a Purolator?? Do you have inside knowledge of Purolator's current manufacturing process and materials used? Please do share.
Or are you just saying stuff, because of your personal dislike of Purolator?

LOL ... If it's a counterfeit then maybe the Purolator engineers should talk to the counterfeiting engineers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back