Quality of Bando Drive Belts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Installed an a/m Bando EPDM serpentine belt on the boss's Accord. Went back 1k later to install a new auto-tensioner, and noticed that the tensioner arrow had already moved quite a bit to the right. Although it's still in range, with the original Honda belt, the tensioner arrow stayed in the center for the entire 115k+.

Not sure what to think of this, but obviously the Bando belt stretched a bit during break-in...

The Bando could have just been a little longer to start with. As you know, aftermarket belts are often made at a length to fit multiple applications, so it may not be the exact same length as the OE belt.

I bet the OE belt stretched a little during break in, too. It's just when it was done stretching it was in the center of the range.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
The Bando could have just been a little longer to start with. As you know, aftermarket belts are often made at a length to fit multiple applications, so it may not be the exact same length as the OE belt.

I bet the OE belt stretched a little during break in, too. It's just when it was done stretching it was in the center of the range.

That is possible. The Bando and Dayco belts were both the same length, while the Gates one was longer.

However, I ordered an OE belt for a Honda Fit and it was a few mm shorter than the Bando part. That may also be true in this case.

Originally Posted By: mv6845
Check your belt tensioner. 7th gen celica are known for it.

Yeah, guys on the Celica boards have been getting the tensioners swapped out at the dealer when under warranty, but the noise keeps coming back. Most report that when a gatorback is used, the problem just simply stops.

I put a Bando belt on my Ranger pickup, it's been on for around 20k, and so far so good. It doesn't look or feel as beefy as a Gates would, but for the price I had to try it out. I have the old Gatorback in the truck just in case.

Also, belts don't squeal, as it was stated before, something is causing squealing, idler, tensioner, misalignment of pully's.

And lastly never spray belt dressing on a serpentine belt. You'll be sorry!

Originally Posted By: EricF

Also, belts don't squeal, as it was stated before, something is causing squealing, idler, tensioner, misalignment of pully's.

Well, what if it never squeals under normal operating temps and all weather conditions except for the first few minutes after sitting in cold and humid weather? That's the problem I (and all the celica guys) have with all smooth ribbed belts.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Installed an a/m Bando EPDM serpentine belt on the boss's Accord. Went back 1k later to install a new auto-tensioner, and noticed that the tensioner arrow had already moved quite a bit to the right. Although it's still in range, with the original Honda belt, the tensioner arrow stayed in the center for the entire 115k+.

Not sure what to think of this, but obviously the Bando belt stretched a bit during break-in...

This is the normal, expected behavior.

From the OEM manual for my car:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"New belt" refers to a brand-new belt, which has never been used.

"Used belt" refers to a belt, which has been used on a running engine for 5 minutes or more.

Used-belt tension: 80 lb (PS), 130 lb (alternator), 80 lb (A/C)
New-belt tension: 125 lb (PS), 160 lb (alternator), 125 lb (A/C)

Run the engine for about 5 minutes and then recheck the tension.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, Mitsuboshi and Bando are both OEM for Toyota.

I use them a lot and have had nothing but positive results with them.
They fit nice, the tensioner is always in the correct place for a new belt, they last as long as OE and are quiet and priced right. What more can one ask for?

I took a Bando off one car that was OE and replaced it with a Bando, it was the same part# and markings, made in Japan.
I have also been using AC Delco professional grade belts and i am a bit surprised at how well they fit and the quietness of them. Longevity i cant say yet but so far i am well satisfied.

From my experience the Dayco's tends to be a bit tight when used with auto tensioners and the Gatorback is way too loud, i don't like noise or having to explain the whine away to a customer.
Bando is a dam good belt, you can use it with confidence.

Edit: As others have posted initial belt stretch is totally normal regardless of brand, with a manual tensioner you may have to readjust the belt after a short time.
Same as a motorcycle chain, the first1-2K it will stretch and needs to be adjusted but after that it can go for many thousands of miles without being touched. When EOL approaches the need to adjust will become more frequent a belt is the same.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Why would I even want a Bando when I can buy a Made in USA Dayco or Gates?

Sorry, I am not understanding your obsession with Made in USA parts. To me, the quality of the part is most important - the COO is of no concern to me.

May the best supplier win...

Many Bando belts are made in Bowling Green, Kentucky. Also Bando's are often a few bucks cheaper than their Dayco or Gates equivalents.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Critic

Sorry, I am not understanding your obsession with Made in USA parts. To me, the quality of the part is most important - the COO is of no concern to me.

I don't understand some people's obsession with Japanese made parts. I think the placebo effect is working there. Some of us actually don't like being unemployed or adding to trade deficit and federal budget deficit when in this case, the best parts are actually made in USA.

The Bando belts that were OEM on my Ohio built Honda were made in USA. I also installed some five years ago as replacements on my daughter's Infiniti. They are just as good and long lasting as Gates so they are a go-to brand for me.

When I did the belt on my Cherokee, I got a Duralast...it was US-made, looked to be a Gates...and was half the price of the Goodyear...which was from Mexico.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
I got a Duralast...it was US-made, looked to be a Gates...
My understanding is that Dayco makes the Duralast belts (and hoses) for VatoZone.

I really can't recall having issues with lifespan or quality of any belts I've bought in the last fifteen years. On occasion, I have even used Goodyear and Dayco - when I don't buy Gates or Bando. Everything I used besides Gates was garbage in the 80's. I think they are just all better than that, across the board. You should be changing them every 80-100K miles, anyway, as maintenance. I haven't had a belt failure in over 25 years.

A lot of mental energy expended over nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back