Highway, 1 Hellcat owner, 0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Knew I'd get a rise out of a comment like that.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Originally Posted By: supton
How does the saying go? More fun to drive a slow car fast than to drive a fast car slow.

Said everyone who has never had a fast car. Ever.
smile.gif

Having driven modern fast cars and older fast cars I have to say the older ones simply felt faster since they were more connected to road, road noise and engine noise.

The fast cars(old/new) I have driven are Audi R8 and 91 Acura NSX(no power steering). Others include modern 2014 GTI vs my 1988 GTI 16v in college. I think the brash noise/road feel etc just made it feel faster.

I like my S2000 on twisty mountain roads, with good tires it can carve though mountain roads at much higher speed than recommended, as long as I keep the rev above 4000-5000 RPM.

It doesn't much power but it has good chassis, steering and fairly light weight so it can keep up with much more powerful cars on twisty roads.

I agree with engine/road noise do make the car feel fast too.

Still think it was a combination of a moron driver with a side helping of cold EHP summer rubber. I was driving my Direzza Star Spec shod ti in 45 degree weather today and with only 150 hp I could easily drift around the slower corners without half trying.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Still think it was a combination of a moron driver with a side helping of cold EHP summer rubber. I was driving my Direzza Star Spec shod ti in 45 degree weather today and with only 150 hp I could easily drift around the slower corners without half trying.

Yes, sometimes I wish some tire company would make something with a soft/sticky in the COLD compound, in a MAX performance tread pattern/profile (NOT a winter snow/ice tire).
Kind of like the Michelins they use on the Monte Carlo Rally stages, which are usually run at sub-freezing temps on mostly dry pavement.

But of course, this will NEVER happen, since there is not much call/market for it beyond that rally.
frown.gif

That is a terrific color on that car, is that sublime?

Chrysler has some nice colors - almost right up there with Holden.

I've owned plenty of high performance cars. I race them on the track and drive responsibly on the street. Never a problem in either location. Current car is a turbo s2000 that can spin both rear tires in the first three gears. Sine I know it can do that, I avoid doing that.

I know my car can spin its tire but usually it catches me by surprise anyhow.

Originally Posted By: meep
statistic is a few years old: but the average amount of time a sportbike is driven off the lot before hitting the ground for the first time?

18 seconds.

I have no doubt that's true. People that have never ridden see the performance specs that would leave the Hellcat in the dust, and think since they had a bicycle as a kid, they're competent to ride a sportbike. Often it ends badly for them.

The hellcat is set to be one of the 'bucket list' muscle cars all you domestic guys crave so bad, up there with things like a model A hot rod, an early corvette with the split rear window, anything built by mr shelby, but the thing is the car will only attain its mythical status throu guys who crashed them telling stories of how fast they were.
Plus it won't be collectible tilll there's a lot less of them running around..

IMO, the guy did a favour to the real car enthusiasts

Originally Posted By: MCompact

It was a complete moron. These cars have a great "nanny" system built in, you have to be an idiot to turn it off and play in cold weather on UHP tires...

Originally Posted By: meep
statistic is a few years old: but the average amount of time a sportbike is driven off the lot before hitting the ground for the first time?

18 seconds.

That seemes a little off to me but i get your point and agree most folks can't handle a sportbike "driven in anger" as i call it..lol

I've been blessed and lucky to cover 83,000 miles on my TL1000 without a scab....yet

t

http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com/201...partner=ya5nbcs

Colorado State Patrol statement: “The 2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat driver, 34-year-old Lance Utley of Winter Park, CO, was traveling northbound on Riverdale Rd.

“The driver lost control to the right, then overcorrected and lost control to the left, and struck a tree head on. There were two additional occupants in the vehicle.

“The driver was charged with careless driving. Drugs or alcohol were not involved. There was no mention of excessive speeding. All three occupants were unhurt.”

The owner ran out of talent.

I don't expect the average moron to understand why their R spec rear tires are blocks of wood on a sub 40 degree day, and why this would make it a bad idea to try to pump 700hp threw two of them.

On a side note this is why a lot of the European cars putting out north of 500 are now AWD, its more user friendly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Win
That is a terrific color on that car, is that sublime?

Chrysler has some nice colors - almost right up there with Holden.

Hands down Chrysler/Fiat have the best paint catalog, the only other company that comes close but makes you pay dearly is Porsche.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back