What to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So... I assume I know what many of you are going to respond with (Then again assumption is the mother of all f*&^ ups.), but what I'm looking for is strictly an informed opinion on what I should do in the case below.

I recently (847 miles ago) changed my oil in my 2000 Avensis. I used 5W30 Castrol GTX HM with a Fram HM filter. After reading the thread on "Is Royal Purple really worth the extra $$" I decided to give it a try. The problem I have is; I really want to drain the Castrol HM and go with the RP for the rest of the OCI with the HM filter. I know I can do whatever I want with my car, but it just seems wasteful. I figure I could use the GTX HM in a spray bottle to coat all the underside of the trans/engine and anything else that moves or has rust under there. Then again patience is a virtue. Ideas are always welcome.

You can still use it to coat your car after you put 5000 miles on it too.

The only thing I'm wondering is why you went with the high mileage filter, it's basically an orange can with the time release additive for neutralizing acids.

The tough guard and Ultra are both higher efficiency more desirable filters.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
You can still use it to coat your car after you put 5000 miles on it too.

The only thing I'm wondering is why you went with the high mileage filter, it's basically an orange can with the time release additive for neutralizing acids.

The tough guard and Ultra are both higher efficiency more desirable filters.

Cause it said High Milage on it...
sick.gif
eek.gif

I would save my money and use the Castrol until the end of the OCI then use the RP. You can do whatever you want but draining new oil to try RP is senseless.

Coating your car with motor oil? That doesn't sound like an environmental hazard. Because commercial rust-proofing is too [censored] expensive!

Opinion:

Keep the 5w30 and Fram in there until next regular oil change, nothing wrong with those.

Try Royal Purple next change if you want. RP is pretty expensive, never used it myself.

Our 2014 E350 Mercedes gets Mobil 1 0w40 by the dealer.

Our 2001 Honda Accord 3.5 Gets Motorcraft (Ford) 5w-20

Our 1992 Pontiac Firebird 5.7 Get Chevron 10w30 or Castrol.

Coating the car in motor oil sounds like a terrible idea. You should just dump it down a storm drain instead.
36.gif

In all honesty, please do not do either of these. If you do feel like draining the oil for whatever reason, please dispose of it properly. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
I would save my money and use the Castrol until the end of the OCI then use the RP. You can do whatever you want but draining new oil to try RP is senseless.

Coating your car with motor oil? That doesn't sound like an environmental hazard. Because commercial rust-proofing is too [censored] expensive!

If you want an environmental hazard take a look at any WM parking lot... too many oil stained parking spots to shake a stick at. Or the next time the roadworks crew is laying new asphalt road, take a whiff of the petroleum based chemicals they're using to lay (Pound into oblivion) new road top layer on the bare stone base layer. I'm not saying I'm going to soak my undercarriage in the [censored] stuff till it drips off, all I'm doing is providing a light coat to inhibit the formation of further rust. [censored], every time it rains, the rain water run off carries leaked oil from to road to the ditch, I suppose that doesn't sound like an environmental hazard at all, or are we all okay with that one too? Basically, of the... billions of cars on the planet? Who knows? Some of those cars are maintained by BITOG members, many are just maintained, and most are, well...not. (See what I did there?) I guess we might as well all drive a hybrid/electric vehicle. Or maybe, whatever type of battery they have in them now, will be the next environmental meltdown of the twenty-whatever century? Just spit balling here, sorry.

Originally Posted By: Toyoguy
So... I assume I know what many of you are going to respond with (Then again assumption is the mother of all f*&^ ups.), but what I'm looking for is strictly an informed opinion on what I should do in the case below.

I recently (847 miles ago) changed my oil in my 2000 Avensis. I used 5W30 Castrol GTX HM with a Fram HM filter. After reading the thread on "Is Royal Purple really worth the extra $$" I decided to give it a try. The problem I have is; I really want to drain the Castrol HM and go with the RP for the rest of the OCI with the HM filter. I know I can do whatever I want with my car, but it just seems wasteful. I figure I could use the GTX HM in a spray bottle to coat all the underside of the trans/engine and anything else that moves or has rust under there. Then again patience is a virtue. Ideas are always welcome.

Imagine what a mess (or more of a mess) the world would be if JiffyLube after draining 5 Qts of oil, sprayed it all over the undercarriage of every car that came in.

Use the proper product like FluidFilm or CarWell for the undercarriage.

Camrydriver111 - I apologize. I realize you were giving your honest opinion and I went off the environmental deep end. Thanks. Undercoating is a good idea, but it actually is too expensive when you have a 1.6% exchange rate to deal with on a pro job. I all-ready looked into it.

There's nothing wrong with the high mileage filter, but it's a 95% efficient filter the tough guard an Ultra are at least 99% efficient.

Keep what you got for a regular oci then switch to Royal Purple and a Tg or Ultra.

IMHO, I would:

1. Leave the Castrol in and the Fram HM filter on for the remainder of the OC.

2. Get a filter that is worthy of the RP (not an HM filter that has additives which **may** interfere with the RP additive pack). Look to an RP, M1, or Fram Ultra filter.

Patience is a virtue and by being patient, you will be reaping the full value of all components involved.

So what is the product called "fluid Film"?

I always thought to be a petroleum product sprayed on the undercarriage to prevent rust and usually refreshed annually.

^^ This

You already know the answer.
Run the GTX HM for a normal interval and then move from this ghetto to the nirvana of RP.
I doubt that you'll find RP to be everything you think it will, but it seems to be an itch that you had to scratch.

Originally Posted By: spk2000
So what is the product called "fluid Film"?

I always thought to be a petroleum product sprayed on the undercarriage to prevent rust and usually refreshed annually.

It is a lanolin based product to be used as you indicated.

Originally Posted By: Doog

^^ This

^^This x2

Originally Posted By: Toyoguy

I would be more anxious to take that filter off and put a good one on than replace the oil.

Run the oil the full OC and just use the RP at your next change. And get a better filter.

As others have said please do not spray the used oil on your vehicle's frame. Dispose of it properly. Not sure what they do in England but here in the States we can take used oil to parts stores for free recycling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back