Harley Davidson HD360 20W/50 Virgin Oil Sample

Status
Not open for further replies.
VirginHD360Edited.jpg

Doesn't do much for me.

MC M1 20W-50 a much better choice.

For that matter, dino 20W-50 from Valvoline or 3 or 4 other manufacturers looks better.

I've got Redline planned for my HD when I get a few more miles.

i cant tell ya how many people brought in their own oil in for changes.

i remember a guy with an 80s evo bagger type bike. the ticker has 180k on it. removed the saddle bag and supertech 2050 was in the bag. the guy said its the only oil he uses when he changes tge oil. he has it serviced when hes on a run.

and no, it was the original engine.

When compared to other oils on the market, Harley's oil doesn't make anyone weak in the knees. But, when you think about it Harley's sells and recommends this oil. If it caused excessive wear or motor failures they would go broke fixing their mistake. But that's not the case. So, if you look at their additive package and it lasts for the 5k recommended oci, then what does using an oil that contains 2 or 3 times Harley's oil do for your bike? Very few here run extended oci's ,so needing more additive isn't required. But by reading the posts here it seems most opt for more expensive oils with higher levels in the additive package dept.So I guess my question is, do people really believe what UOA'S state or are they just brainwashed into using expensive oil? If it cost the same as Valvoline's MC oil, I would use Harley's oil without concern for protection failure.,,

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Is Harley oil still Quaker State or did that change years back?

It is still being made by Citgo. Has been for a decade or more now.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
When compared to other oils on the market, Harley's oil doesn't make anyone weak in the knees. But, when you think about it Harley's sells and recommends this oil. If it caused excessive wear or motor failures they would go broke fixing their mistake. But that's not the case. So, if you look at their additive package and it lasts for the 5k recommended oci, then what does using an oil that contains 2 or 3 times Harley's oil do for your bike? Very few here run extended oci's ,so needing more additive isn't required. But by reading the posts here it seems most opt for more expensive oils with higher levels in the additive package dept.So I guess my question is, do people really believe what UOA'S state or are they just brainwashed into using expensive oil? If it cost the same as Valvoline's MC oil, I would use Harley's oil without concern for protection failure.,,

I don't disagree with you.
Heck I've been using Rotella conventional for 2 years now based on talking with sunruh. Conventional 15w-40.
3000 mile intervals. Cost effective. I use it in the primary too.
I do spend a bit more though on the tranny fluid. Redline shockproof heavy.

The local dealer has those "Nostalgic" CANS of Harley 20W-50 on display. Pretty cool, except that they're $11.95 each.

Walked in there this morning and they were 2 for 1 (BOGO) - which makes that $6/quart.

At $6/quart, The Genuine Harley oil is much more attractive.
Picked up a case of 12 quarts..... as we have a new 2015 Softail and running the Genuine HD360 oil during the warranty period is not the worst idea I've ever come up with.

Valvoline VR-1 Conventional oil is $6.39 a quart here.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the VOA duck rider. I have been searching high and low for a recent VOA on this oil.

I am using he conventional HD 360, assuming the VOA is the conventional not synthetic 360, new bike 14 RK and only on its first oil change.

Chances are I will stick with the conventional 360 for now, not sure why other then why not, seems to have some good UOAs, even if an unexciting additive package.

Other thoughts were the Valvoline conventional motorcycle oil I used on a past bike with good UOA or the VR1 which also does well.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
HD360 seems to have disappeared from the HD website...
confused.gif

You are correct, I just looked and also noticed no Primary+ on their website either.
smirk.gif

I don't know, I may go to VR1 if this is the case, bike still under warranty though and HD only recommends 15/40 diesel oil if not HD oil.
Now what to do, was using Primary+ and conventional 360. Not a fan of going to their HD 360 synthetic for all three.

Last edited:
alarmguy,

My HD owners manual says to use a diesel oil if HD oil is not avaiable but the prefered viscosity is 20w-50-

If necessary and H-D 360 is not available, add oil certified for diesel engines. Acceptable designations include: CH-4, CI-4 and CJ-4. The preferred viscosities, in descending order are: 20W50, 15W40 and 10W40.

The bottle code on this appears to be:

2298C23914 XXXX

I cannot read the last 4 digits (XXXX) that are separated by a space. The rest is hard to read, but that should decode to the 239th day of 2014 = August 27th.

Originally Posted By: shanneba
alarmguy,

My HD owners manual says to use a diesel oil if HD oil is not avaiable but the prefered viscosity is 20w-50-

If necessary and H-D 360 is not available, add oil certified for diesel engines. Acceptable designations include: CH-4, CI-4 and CJ-4. The preferred viscosities, in descending order are: 20W50, 15W40 and 10W40.

Yes,my manual says the same, thing is, I did post in another thread or two or three that its a challenge to buy 20/50 c rated oil. There are some, as others have pointed out, Amsoil 20/50 diesel oil, Mystic 15/50semi syn (made by Citgo) and someone just pointed Brad Penn.
I think for now Ill stick with the HD360 conventional as you can still buy it locally but can change my mind in the next month or so when ready for a change.

I put this in my 2015 Road Glide at the 1000 mile service. I have not decided what to use beyond that. I've run Rotella 15W-40 in my other bikes for years. I have read of some using that in their HD engines.

the problem with harley oil is same as their bikes both are OVERPRICED IMO, theres better choices for less $$$$

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back