Zeibart RustProofing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Good point about brake lines Paul. Is there anything else they can be made of?

Frank i only use Nicopp for all brake and fuel hard lines now. Great material that resist corrosion for decades and longer
Volvo, RR, Porsche, Aston Martin, etc all use it OE. Its not uncommon to find 30 yr old Volvo's with perfect brake lines. I looked at a late 70's in the junk yard with clean original lines in it.

Quote:
Volvo has been using galvanized brake plumbing since '71, and the Kunifer alloy C70600 alloy since '76)!

Kunifer C70600 is copper nickel, same 90-10 mix as NiCopp.

The stuff they sprayed under my wife's car was similar to p/u bed lining.

I see there is a Corrosion Free dealer within 22 miles of my front door.

Anyone have any feedback concerning Corrosion Free?

Originally Posted By: jcwit
The stuff they sprayed under my wife's car was similar to p/u bed lining.

I see there is a Corrosion Free dealer within 22 miles of my front door.

Anyone have any feedback concerning Corrosion Free?

Corrosion Free is also very good but make sure they take their time and get into all the cavities and seams. The product is thicker and will not drip. I've touched up around my door seams and even underneath but only after sprayed with Krown.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
There was a well known European company in the rust proofing business in the US for a few years after which they beat a hasty retreat. Can't remember the name right now. Does it ring any bells? Waxoyl maybe?

Not sure about a hasty retreat, but waxoyl is a product that is available in the NE and common with the Land Rover crowd, especially in VT/NH/NY.

That stuff is waxy and creeping,min sure it dries out if not reconstituted with something else at some point,... But it is a thick, waxy product, not something that dries harder or porous like schutz or undercoating.

I'm a proponent of the Krown type products vs. something that solidifies.

Here's a good You Tube video of the Waxoyl process followed by a video of someone with a poor experience with the Corrosion Free product. These are excellent examples of the basic principle of how important the applicator technician is to the success of the process. Corrosion Free did a disservice to themselves allowing Canadian Tire to be their major applicator.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
Well, the brake lines are fixed, and the cause of them going bad was a lack of rustproofing in the area where they rusted thru.

Thanks a bunch Ziebart!

Hope you used copper/nickel brake line. Or you will be replacing them again.

Ziebart is a waxy/oily product for rustproofing. It creeps a little. Where as CarWell (and FF and Krown I assume) really creep into cavities and have the ability to get into and behind rust.

You need annual inspections for Ziebart because it can be chipped or scrapped off (rocks, ice, etc). Where CarWell gets totally reapplied every year (they say to) because it can get slowly washed off. CarWell is also much better for used cars than Ziebart.

With CarWell even if the tech missed a spot, chances are it would get done the next year.

I think I will stick with CarWell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back