Cingular phone company sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had cingular cell phone service for nearly two years now.

Yesterday I went in to pay my bill and was told that in the future if I paid cash, there would be an extra charge for doing so.

I promptly told them that any company that wished to charge me extra for paying cash would have to pay a $25 service fee to me for doing so.

If you use cingular its now time to dump them.

Dan

I have had AT&T for over two years now. They have always been very good on billing. We had our mail stolen once, and a bill didn't make it. They simply added the total to our next bill.

Now that AT&T wireless has been bought out by cingular, I hope that they don't change their service.

-T

I just dumped Cingular last week. I paid extra for a GSM phone because I travel to Europe frequently.

First trip to Europe, the phone won't work...a call to Cingular shows they turned off Global Roaming for reasons unknown, can't turn it on immediately. A few days later I finally gave up.

2nd trip to Europe, no service again. Now they've deactivated it because I was late paying a bill a few months back. Can't turn it on now because I'm a delinquent payer.

3rd trip to Europe, I'm within a few days of my 1-year contract expiring anyway, they still can't turn it on because they want 6 months of on-time payment...and the one bill I was late on was 5 months ago. So I told the guy to cancel my service immediately...go thru all the babbling about how they hate to lose me, etc. So turn on Global Roaming. They wouldn't do it.

I'm finally rid of Cingular, my new AT&T Wireless phones were waiting for me when I got home, and if Cingular buys AT&T Wireless I get to fire them again.
grin.gif

I've been a Cingular user for over two years, I've had great service and it works all over the country even in the Rocky Mountians and places where others don't work. As for paying the bill I have it automatically billed to my Discover card. Last month I had a phone screw up and they gave me a new phone and transfered my phonebook no charge. A couple times they billed me for off network roaming but I called them and got it taken off the bill.

[ May 19, 2004, 04:09 PM: Message edited by: Bob Woods ]

Some people beech about Verizon cell. I have had Verizon for 2+ years now and they are the best. Best billing, best coverage, best long distance...YMMV, the wife and I have the dual phone plan. She has the latest sex phone, you know, the kind like those type of girls use, and well I have a nice Audiovox, the kind where the stinking battery charges last months......

Dump'em without hesitation if you don't like them and they won't negotiate.

This irks me beyond patience because of the attitude that we are just cattle to be milked. When one applys the same logic to them they act like you have killed their pet cat.

I just got off the phone after a discussion with a low-level "service representative" that coulnt transfer me to a manager of any kind.

Its now "noted" in my account to not charge me extra for paying cash.

YEAH RIGHT!

Dan

I've had good luck with Verizon. Right now, my cell is paid for by my employer. But, it's been over two years and my phone is starting to fail (Motorola Timeport). So, I need to get a new phone. In order to do that, I have to signa new contract and make it two years to really save on the phone cost.

I want to keep my number, so I have to get my boss to call and request the paperwork to transfer the number to me. I then have to buy a new phone and contract with that number. I already have a Verizon phone I gave to my wife. It is 16 months into a 24 month contract. To merge the two into a family plan requires a renewal of both contracts for two years.
frown.gif

Now the fun part. It costs the same for me to have two separate plans as it does to have the family plan with in-network calling included on both lines. There is no benefit to having a family plan as I get 300 less minutes and still pay the same. At least the service is good.

My first cell was with Cingular. The coverage in SoCal and Nevada was terrible, dropped calls were the norm. Everywhere I went I had roaming charges. One month I got a $600 bill for a 45 minute call I made from Laughlin,Nv.

I dumped them quick after that.

I couldn't get regular service from any other company so I got a prepaid phone from Verizon.

Here Verizon has the best coverage. Period. My phone was stolen and somehow someone ran up a $300.00 bill on it......Even tho it was a prepaid phone. Took almost a year to get that straightened out after they reported me to a collection agency. BTW I reported the phone stolen within an hour of it happening.

Now I have a prepaid AT&T phone. The coverage is fair, not great but ok.

I used to use cingular, and I think they stink, too. I could never check my minutes, when Sprint had such a system up and running already. They were expensive. That was back in the dark ages though.

I used to use cingular, and I think they stink, too. I could never check my minutes,

For two years that I know of I could check my usage online or by calling customer service, now a Cingular user can just dial *646# and receive a free text message with minutes used.

Boy, what timing on this post. I just called AT&T wireless, whom I've been with since '97, and renewed my contract. After buying a cell phone in '97, I haven't bought one since. They have always given me a free phone when I re-new. I too have the monthlies go to my Discover Card, so much more convient. I mean face it, it's just a matter of time before cash will be just about obsolite. Anyway, I asked them about the Cingular thing. I was told that the ATT company will stay intact as it is now it's just that will be using some of cingulars coverage areas where as they didn't have it on their own and vice-versa. Also had "mysterious" phone charges, one call to them and they were taken off.
Oh yeah, learned something. Wife wanted one of those smaller Star Trek decoder type phones, and I was told that they are nice and all, but their signal strength sucks. Works good inside a city, but get out on the road and you'll experience a lot more drop-offs.

[ May 21, 2004, 03:41 PM: Message edited by: Schmoe ]

I used to have Bellsouth wireless which was sucked up by Cingular. Bellsouth was very good when I had them, but soon as it changed to Cingular, service went downhill. Disconnects galore. Cingular disconnected my phone, the instant the bill was 2 days overdue. (Bellsouth would give at least 30days). Cingular would call me to sign up for automatic direct bank payments--no thanks. Cingular was a joke. I don't even use a cellular phone anymore, forget it. Landline only for me thankyou.

quote:

Originally posted by Bob Woods:
it works all over the country even in the Rocky Mountians and places where others don't work.

What I have noticed is that any given carrier may be better in some areas than others. I loved Verizon and the signal was great everywhere except my home. So if I wanted to use long distance instead of using my land line, I needed to go with AT&T.
smile.gif

without naming names, all the phone services suck up here, unless you are on i75. there have been promises of new towers in the thumb, improved service, etc...

if the company didn't pay for my phone i would have whipped into oncoming traffic a long time ago.

I love Verizon. I dropped cingular for verizion and don't regret it. I've been all over the US and their coverage is consistantly better. And I don't pay any more per month and have unlimited night/weekend minutes.

I had Bellsouth Mobility before Cingular bought them. Total time was about 9 years. Moved to a new house and no service. I had just signed contract (2 freakin years). I called them and said I wanted to cancel and they said I had to pay $20/ month for EACH phone (2) for the rest of the contract (20 months). I told them I had no service, and she said "Cingular works everywhere". In my area that isnt true. They sent an Engineer out to confirm and they said mail us the phones and we'll cancel. Two months after I mailed the phones (with delivery confirmation) I got a bill that was noted (LATE). I called them and they said "we never got the phones". I said "Well on such and such date at such and such time Mr. whoever signed for them at such and such address". (You gotta love delivery confirmation)!!! She was silent for a moment and said...ok. We'll clear the bill and cancel. I continued to get bills for four more months and called them each time and they said "disregard". The fifth month I got a notice that they had turned me over to collections. I called them and they said..."You still have two active phones and you have seven months unpaid". I tried to talk to a supervisor and she said they do not talk to customers about problems...that is a customer reps job". I hung up and called my step mom who works for an attorney. About an hour and a half they called me back and said "Mr. ***** we have cancelled your contrat and sending you a confirmation, and we are also sending you a $200 voucher for Cingular service/ merchandise". Like I needed it. When it got here I gave it to some family that still has Cingular.

I WILL NEVER have Cingular/ AT&T again! TERRIBLE customer service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back