Consensus on Premium gas for Skyactiv

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does Shell premium use ethanol down there? I know up here in Canada that Shell's 87 octane has 10% ethanol, their 89 octane has 5% ethanol and their premium (which is only 91 octane here) uses no ethanol at all. So there is a nice boost in MPG just from that alone (I see a 10% improvement in MPG in my Corvette running non ethanol premium from Shell or Costco compared to the 10% ethanol enhanced premium from other stations)

Originally Posted By: Patman
Does Shell premium use ethanol down there? I know up here in Canada that Shell's 87 octane has 10% ethanol, their 89 octane has 5% ethanol and their premium (which is only 91 octane here) uses no ethanol at all. So there is a nice boost in MPG just from that alone (I see a 10% improvement in MPG in my Corvette running non ethanol premium from Shell or Costco compared to the 10% ethanol enhanced premium from other stations)

Me too. I consistently get better mileage with premium.
Here only the husky/Mohawk stations have ethanol polluted premium. Every other brand is pure gas.
Mid-grade is mixed at the pump,so in theory it should be 5%.

In this area - DFW - all Shell grades are E10. If I could find an E0 premium I would buy it for that reason alone. 10% just happens to be the lost MPG I experienced in 1995 when the gas here was "reformulated" to reduce pollution. It must burn a lot cleaner to produce fewer emissions with a 10% increase in consumption.

The Shells around me in central Maryland have E10 across all the octane ratings. That plus Winter fuel formulation plus Owe'Malley taxation means you're not getting a lot of fuel value for the money.

My 2010 Challenger gets better gas mileage on 89 octane (92 didn't make a difference). I figure the less gas goes through it the better. The car seems to run a little better on 89 too. I would check your mileage a few times and see which grade gets you the best mpg. You may not need premium.

What about feel of the car? In my BMW I can tell if I am running regular or premium.

Gas mileage is harder to gauge because the traffic conditions, where you drive, temperature, etc. all could be different.

I know the manual says to use regular gas, but a lot of manuals say 87 minimum, for best performance use 91.

I wonder if it's the same for Skyactiv but they just don't say it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back