Changing my opinion on CVTs - I kind of like them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a whim, I decided to rent a car, borrow a few friends and head to Manhattan. "Turduckin" the renta-Sentra ('12) was equipped with a CVT.

I hate the awkwardness of the things and, especially the Nissan CVTs that just act odd. Lugging the engine, or randomly spiking the RPMS.

Other than fuel economy, never could figure out why someone would want one.

The CVT seriously EXCELLED at city driving. I didn't have to worry about wearing out the transmission (if it were mine), or wasting gas by driving around in 1st gear all day in the city. I was able to drive up and down Manhattan - don't ask - and through times square Saturday night without the engine going above 1500RPM. For that tank the car averaged 30MPG ... not bad considering I spent 3 hours driving around Manhattan.

I was really, really impressed with how well they work in city conditions. It just worked really well.

My other complaint with them was how they won't accelerate when you want them to, then they suddenly bounce off the rev limiter. Apparently I wasn't driving it right.

The "rubber band" effect goes away if you aren't nice with the throttle. If I'm cruising along at 1/8 throttle and need to increase to 1/2 to pass someone, I always do it gradually. That seems to "confuse" the computer. If I'd increase throttle pressure quickly, it would kick down and take off quickly.

After spending 15 hours in a CVT-equipped car over the weekend, I think I could live with one as far as behaviors.

Now, if someone could figure out how to make them last 200K miles reliably, I'd be on board!

Grosssss. I hate CVT's. My mom has one of them in her Caliber. I feel like I'm driving a wind up toy every time. I personally would never purchase a vehicle with one. I like feeling those gears shift!

If you keep a car with a CVT beyond the warranty I wonder how expensive it is to maintain one and what does a rebuild cost and soon does that happen in normal use?

I had a rental 2014 Corolla and I wasn't a big fan. I'm sure it's fine for slow and relaxed driving but when you need to accelerate it's horrible.

It's super loud and very slow to accelerate. Merging into traffic wasn't fun.

Sport mode fixes that somewhat. Sport mode makes the car run at higher revs and makes it a bit more responsive to acceleration. I was constantly switching back and forth. Whenever I needed to merge - sport mode!

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
If you keep a car with a CVT beyond the warranty I wonder how expensive it is to maintain one and what does a rebuild cost and soon does that happen in normal use?

Very expensive. No rebuild. Just head over to the Nissan dealer and cut them a $6K check when it fails.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
I had a rental 2014 Corolla and I wasn't a big fan. I'm sure it's fine for slow and relaxed driving but when you need to accelerate it's horrible.

Sport mode fixes that somewhat. Sport mode makes the car run at higher revs and makes it a bit more responsive to acceleration. I was constantly switching back and forth. Whenever I needed to merge - sport mode!

Yeah ... there is the drone. This one had an OD off button. That helped with merging.

As. Far as rebuild cost goes.. when more cars are using then more rebuilders will have to work on them and eventually cost will come down. I'm guessing CVTs are here to stay.

I wonder if a Cvt rebuild is easier or harder than a auto?

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111

Had a rental 2014 Corolla a few months back. Surprised it had LED headlights. Some other nice touches too, like one touch lane change on the turn signals. The CVT was a bit slow, I just kept it floored on on ramps, it does that fake shift, just drops a few hundred rpms and seems like it's shifting up. Gas mileage was decent though, I think I averaged around 35 mpg even when I was flogging it all the time. Reminds me a bit of Shakespeare, full of sound and fury signifying nothing.

The V6 I normally drive only gets 18-22 mpg so I'm usually a bit more conservative. Yep, V6 is a lot more fun, but you do pay for it at the pump.

I drove a Subaru Outback with the 4 banger and the CVT. It was one of the most sluggish vehicles I have ever driven in my experience. I would never pay over 30 grand for something like that.

Give me a proper manual gearbox, or a proven automatic. Save the CVT's for snowmobiles and outboards.

Last edited:
I have a 2013 Maxima, with the 3.5V6 and lots of torque, the CVT is a really nice match. No rubber band analogy at all, just press and go.

I think the negative comments are mostly from low powered cars that would also generate hostile comments if equipped with a multi-speed automatic.

If these CVT's were not so reliable, would Honda have risked doing their high volume sedans with one? especially after the sting of their past Accord / Minivan auto trans meld downs?

Time will tell.

I had a rental Versa when my Accord was having the driver Takata air bag inflator replaced. Around town when driving conservatively it was fine. It did act fluky sometimes for no reason though. When accelerating from a stop at any moderate pace it would shoot the revs up and drone, and it was loud! Not something I want to hear every day really. My biggest issue I suppose would be the engine droning on and the fact that you dont feel gears shifting, I like the gear change feeling a traditional automatic has.

I haven't driven a CVT (4spd auto luddite here) but the concept sounds interesting since Nissan made it mainstream. But is the hate stemming from the inability to feel the power when you stomp the gas pedal to feel it downshift or when passing someone? If I were to get a car I would like a CVT where I'm not romping it around and take a break from hard shifting truck 4spd automatics (where the gear changes feel awesome when romping it around!)

Originally Posted By: KGMtech
I have a 2013 Maxima, with the 3.5V6 and lots of torque, the CVT is a really nice match. No rubber band analogy at all, just press and go.

This. I've rented a number of Maximas and Muranos. The 3.5L plus CVT is a perfect pairing.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

Now, if someone could figure out how to make them last 200K miles reliably, I'd be on board!

Subaru. Plenty of online forums have guys with over 200k on theirs.

I agree with Kuato.

Subaru leads the pack when it comes to CVT's and their longevity. Their latest CVT units are a nice improvement and are much more responsive than those a few years ago.

I'm starting to like CVTs too.

Of course, mine is a lot simpler than the Nissan's.
crackmeup2.gif

I am still trying to find the perfect roller weights. Still "upshifts" too early. (goes to the outside of the pulley completely at about 35mph)

The only CVT I've driven is my grandma's 2012 Jeep Patriot. It has the 2.0L too and I hate it. I mean HATE it. It's so slow, it can't even get out of its own way. I just can't get over the no power, why would Jeep design a car like that?

I've only driven a couple of Mitsubishi's with CVT, and I didn't mind them. They're just a bit different, that's all.

OP, out of curiosity why did you need to rent a car for that trip?

The CVTs have matured quite a bit. We had an Audi CVT that worked well, and I frequently rent Maximas that work very well - much better than the earlier Nissan CVT's.

I would be more inclined to buy a car with a CVT than a FWD car, although I ave not yet seen a RWD CVT.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
CVT's are nice where they belong on ATV's and sleds.

only vehicle we've had with a CVT is My Sister's 2005 Ford Freestyle(Five Hundred Wagon) used to be Dad's, but he replaced it with a '12 exploder in the fall of '13.

anyway, her Hubby and friends refer to it as "the snowmobile", not b/c of it's AWD system, but B/C of the sound the CVT makes while driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back