Got glasses, less headaches

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got glasses recently... well early summer. I never had glasses before and am pretty amazed at the difference. I just could never read anything. Up close I am OK and more than likely I squint a lot at the computer.

I stopped wearing them for a bit but am back now. After wearing them again, I noticed one big thing, I wasn't getting headaches anymore. I guess I just assumed that even though things were blurry, as long as I wasn't squinting or overly stressing the focus, I wasn't straining myself and wouldn't get a headache. I guess I was wrong.

Is that possible?

Quite a change wearing glasses.

glad that worked out for you, i have the same problem as i age!

i am slightly near sighted, so i have a pair of glasses for driving. but now i need to go get new pair with bifocals on them to read the small stuff!

i am 41 and have worn bifocals for years, im a diabetic and that can cause eyesight problems, i wear my glasses every minute that im awake

Originally Posted By: redhat
Is that possible?

Very much so. Same thing happened to me. I used to get headaches after staring at a monitor at work all day. Then I got computer glasses, and headaches went away.

Yep, I went a decade without glasses, squinting at the computer screen... getting wicked headaches.

Since glasses no headaches and I can see dramatically better.

Now if I try to look at my screen without glasses it's intolerable.

I'd imagine if your eyes take different prescriptions there could be some muscle relief from not working so hard.

I'm nearsighted and worn glasses for over 20 years now. It's odd when I don't wear them, but actually have been doing a bit more lately of that. Mostly when they get to be a nuisance, like at the gym or when working outside. I have not ruled out Lasik in the next decade or so--I don't mind wearing glasses most of the time, but it sure would be nice to not at times.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I'm near sighted.I cant wear glasses indoors as everything is blurry. I only use them when driving.

sure you're not far sighted? near sighted, things up close are clear, farther away blurry. far sighted up close blurry, far away clear.

I know, I'm near sighted as is my whole family, have to wear some sort of corrective lens all my waking hours. if i don't, i cant read anything more than a foot in front of my face.

earl and chris you are both correct.

i think chris and i suffer from the same "slight" near sightedness condition, where we wear glasses so that we can see better at far distnaces as near vision is good.

when you try to use these type lenses in doors for closer visions it causes things to blurr.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: redhat
Is that possible?

Very much so. Same thing happened to me. I used to get headaches after staring at a monitor at work all day. Then I got computer glasses, and headaches went away.

QP, thanks for posting this.

can you expand a little on these "computer glasses"...are they issued by optometrist for example..

i think i could use some, i have been experiencing these headaches alot lately after too much computer work.

Originally Posted By: John_Conrad
can you expand a little on these "computer glasses"...are they issued by optometrist for example..

Yes, any optometrist can issue a prescription for them.

They're similar to reading glasses, but they're specifically tweaked for the distance between your eyes and a monitor screen, which in most cases is slightly longer than between your eyes and a book or a newspaper.

But the difference is very slight. In most cases, if you get computer glasses, you can use them as reading glasses, too.

You are welcome, hope a set of specs can help alleviate the headaches for you.

Funny, I just got back from my first eye exam in ~35 years. 20/30L & 20/70R. I get headaches every once and a while and do attribute it to my eyes sometimes.
I'm planning on getting glasses for driving, but after a year, the doc said I could THEN weigh my options as to have surgery or not as I do qualify for it.

Now to find a reputable eyeglass store.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
I'm near sighted.I cant wear glasses indoors as everything is blurry. I only use them when driving.

sure you're not far sighted? near sighted, things up close are clear, farther away blurry. far sighted up close blurry, far away clear.

I know, I'm near sighted as is my whole family, have to wear some sort of corrective lens all my waking hours. if i don't, i cant read anything more than a foot in front of my face.
I'm reading this thread on my smartphone without glasses but I can't see Kmart across the parking lot clearly.

Yup! Same here. I usually don't wear mine at home on my computer; have to watching TV. Driving? If I tried driving down the block without glasses I'd probably bounce off the curbs like a bowling ball. I'm blind at anything further than 10 feet.

I'm reading this thread on my smartphone without glasses but I can't see Kmart across the parking lot clearly.

Textbook nearsightedness. If things are blurry up close with your prescription, you could always get bifocals. Or your prescription is bad. When I have my glasses on, everything becomes crystal clear from 1 inch to the horizon; no blurriness up close. The other thing is, if you truly need corrective lenses, you have to wear them all day for your eyes to get used to them. When I first got glasses, I had the same thing happen where things up close were more blurry with glasses. After wearing them all day for a week, my eyes adjusted and everything became clear.

Age is a bummer--I used to be able to focus on things 3" from my head. I'm slowly losing that ability.
frown.gif

At least I'm so nearsighted that it'll be a while before I need bifocals!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back