2014 Diesel Cruze / Dexos2 5W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
^^^The last line is a hoot! Care to re-state that one?

Yes, Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act

Unless, they are ignorant or just going to see if the consumer will challenge there denial.

Not really sure why any CJ-4 rated synthetic would not work just fine in the Cruze diesel. CJ-4 was designed for the soot loading of EGR and the downstream SCR and DPF nonsense. The requirement for CJ-4 is 1% ash or lower. Seems that some folks overthink the issue to extremes. Hundreds of thousands of European designed diesel engines are running around the U.S. using quality CJ-4 rated oils. Volvo, Mercedes, MAN, VM, VW, etc. Many of them with a lot of miles racked up with no oil related problems. They may have issues with other things, but oil is not the cause.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Not really sure why any CJ-4 rated synthetic would not work just fine in the Cruze diesel. CJ-4 was designed for the soot loading of EGR and the downstream SCR and DPF nonsense. The requirement for CJ-4 is 1% ash or lower. Seems that some folks overthink the issue to extremes. Hundreds of thousands of European designed diesel engines are running around the U.S. using quality CJ-4 rated oils. Volvo, Mercedes, MAN, VM, VW, etc. Many of them with a lot of miles racked up with no oil related problems. They may have issues with other things, but oil is not the cause.

Could you find out the difference between CJ-4, ACEA C3 and dexos 2 and report back?

Nope. Have no motivation to look. I have used CJ-4 rated oils in VM diesel engines, old Detroits, recent MAN designed engines, and both old and new Cummins engines. Never have had an oil related problem. Engines all run just fine. Samples all look good. All of these engines, the OEM had no problem with a CJ-4 rated oil. They might have differed on viscosity they recommended, but the CJ-4 spec was just fine. Again, CJ-4 is the latest spec in N. America for all the emissions stuff piled on diesels.

There is example after example of recent emission equipped diesels racking up 750,00 miles on CJ-4 rated oils and nary an issue. Chevron, specifically, has taken their 10w30 blend, 15w40 conventional, and 5w40 full synthetic easily to 70,000 mile OCI's on these newer emission equipped diesels. And many of them are more technically complex than most anything being shoe horned into a car or pickup.

To worry about the differences between CJ-4 ACEA C3, and dexos 2 is not in my game plan. I didn't worry about it with the VM engine in my Jeep, to the New Holland engine in my ag tractor, nor the several semi trucks I have run it in, both emissions equipped and non emissions equipped varieties. Some of which were engines that cost over $30,000 to replace.

Nope. Have no motivation to look. I have used CJ-4 rated oils in VM diesel engines, old Detroits, recent MAN designed engines, and both old and new Cummins engines. Never have had an oil related problem. Engines all run just fine. Samples all look good. All of these engines, the OEM had no problem with a CJ-4 rated oil. They might have differed on viscosity they recommended, but the CJ-4 spec was just fine. Again, CJ-4 is the latest spec in N. America for all the emissions stuff piled on diesels.

There is example after example of recent emission equipped diesels racking up 750,00 miles on CJ-4 rated oils and nary an issue. Chevron, specifically, has taken their 10w30 blend, 15w40 conventional, and 5w40 full synthetic easily to 70,000 mile OCI's on these newer emission equipped diesels. And many of them are more technically complex than most anything being shoe horned into a car or pickup.

To worry about the differences between CJ-4 ACEA C3, and dexos 2 is not in my game plan. I didn't worry about it with the VM engine in my Jeep, to the New Holland engine in my ag tractor, nor the several semi trucks I have run it in, both emissions equipped and non emissions equipped varieties. Some of which were engines that cost over $30,000 to replace.

Thats ok. I am doubting you saying that it would work. Trying to get big, giant GM to include CJ-4 as a substitute would be a tall order anyways. The unfortunate part is that they would deny a warranty claim for using a CJ-4 oil.

Hardly. In over 43 years of vehicle ownership from autos, to pickups, to heavy commercial semi trucks (over 5 million miles actual time behind the wheel with them), I have yet to see a dealer or authorized service shop ever even ask a question about what oil was used, let alone deny a warranty over such minutia. And I have had several warranty claims on my commercial engines over the years. Even on $30,000+ engines. Anyone with a minimum understanding of modern oil specifications could easily challenge any OEM contention. Each engine OEM has a specific coding spec for diesel engine oil. GM uses dexos2, Detroit uses 93K218, Cummins uses CES 20081, Volvo VDS-4, Cat ECF-3, and the list goes on and on, ad nauseam. CJ-4 API rated oils in the U.S. are the standard for modern diesels that have the latest emissions junk on them and meet these specs and more across the board. it is an industry standard low ash HDEO rating in the U.S.

Only consumers are swayed by getting all wound up in details and losing sleep over this. Paranoia can be a terrible thing to live with.

Sorry, my failure to properly edit, and this time it had the opposite meaning. I didn't put in the "not". What I wanted to say is, "I am NOT doubting what you were saying". I regret that I didn't catch it before someone else saw it and respond after me. I am sorry.

Hardly. In over 43 years of vehicle ownership from autos, to pickups, to heavy commercial semi trucks (over 5 million miles actual time behind the wheel with them), I have yet to see a dealer or authorized service shop ever even ask a question about what oil was used, let alone deny a warranty over such minutia. And I have had several warranty claims on my commercial engines over the years. Even on $30,000+ engines. Anyone with a minimum understanding of modern oil specifications could easily challenge any OEM contention. Each engine OEM has a specific coding spec for diesel engine oil. GM uses dexos2, Detroit uses 93K218, Cummins uses CES 20081, Volvo VDS-4, Cat ECF-3, and the list goes on and on, ad nauseam. CJ-4 API rated oils in the U.S. are the standard for modern diesels that have the latest emissions junk on them and meet these specs and more across the board. it is an industry standard low ash HDEO rating in the U.S.

Only consumers are swayed by getting all wound up in details and losing sleep over this. Paranoia can be a terrible thing to live with.

What upsets me the most about GM is that they spec. CJ-4 oil for there Duramax Diesel in there 2500 and above trucks, but don't do it in the Cruze. Probably the result of 2 engineering department at it. It would be worthless to ask a dealer to sign off on using CJ-4 oil, since they didn't make the vehicle, and trying to get the giant GM to sign off would probably be impossible, let along even talking to the right person. The only thing to do is just use a CJ-4 synthetic and lie that you used right oil, believing its ok to do so, due to there oppressive specs. I don't encourage lying. Of course they like to see receipts to verify you used the right oil. By not using the right spec. could void warranty. After warranty expires, it would really matter anymore.

Last edited:

You weren't dealing with a the DPF/EGR and the emissions systems used in the Chevy Cruze either.

CJ-4 rated Mobil Delvac 1™ LE 5W-30 vs Mobil 1™ ESP Formula 5W-30.

Code:
Test

SAE Grade 5W-30 ESP 5W-30 Delvac

Viscosity@ 40ºC 72.8 69

Viscosity@ 100ºC 12.1 11.8

Viscosity Index 164 168

Sulphated Ash, wt% 0.6 1.0

HTHS Viscosity @ 150 ºC 3.58 NR 3.5 for SPEC

Pour Point, ºC -45 -51

Flash Point, ºC 254 234

Density @ 15.6 ºC 0.850 0.855

Originally Posted By: gyrfalcon

You weren't dealing with a the DPF/EGR and the emissions systems used in the Chevy Cruze either.

CJ-4 rated Mobil Delvac 1™ LE 5W-30 vs Mobil 1™ ESP Formula 5W-30.

Code:
Test

SAE Grade 5W-30 ESP 5W-30 Delvac

Viscosity@ 40ºC 72.8 69

Viscosity@ 100ºC 12.1 11.8

Viscosity Index 164 168

Sulphated Ash, wt% 0.6 1.0

HTHS Viscosity @ 150 ºC 3.58 NR 3.5 for SPEC

Pour Point, ºC -45 -51

Flash Point, ºC 254 234

Density @ 15.6 ºC 0.850 0.855

Your answer is right in that chart. Use Mobil 1 esp and go by the oil change monitor. You are driving a new engine in it's first year and don't want to give GM any excuse to deny warranty work. Trucker is right, those oils would not hurt your engine but if a dpf gets clogged or a converter fails, those things are expensive. I've seen lots of storys about MB diesel owners not following recommendations to a T and MB won't fix their engines. We all know that that oil will last 10k miles for sure so just follow the monitor even if it goes against your thinking about oil changes. I had to do this with my MB diesel...get used to longer intervals or just throw away money.

But, we in trucking have been dealing with SCR and DPF longer and far more in depth. You folks are just now coming to the party, gyrfalcon. We in trucking have billions of miles and hours under our belts regarding SCR and DPF on commercial trucks. We know what works. And CJ-4 spec has met the demand more than amply. Oil is not the problem with these SCR/DPF systems. Virtually 100% of any problems arise from poor maintenance practices on the emissions systems and operators not adhering to OEM guidelines on operating the engines.

Sometimes it is a good thing to take a look at what has been tried by others. There is not one heavy commercial fleet truck in America that is only running some OEM only specific oil in these modern SCR / DPF diesels. They are all running a industry standard CJ-4 spec oil. Only the brand names are different. And, of course, there is some variance among trucking operations on what viscosity they are using. But all are CJ-4 rated oils.

The surprising thing that diesel owners have to get used to, running a diesel is a far more owner attention demanding thing if one wants good performance and longevity. The idea that you can just stick a nozzle in a tank, start and drive it, only check the oil, and generally do things like with a gas engine leads to all kinds of problems. New to diesel owners have a lot they need to learn. And oil barely rates in the top 10.

But, we in trucking have been dealing with SCR and DPF longer and far more in depth. You folks are just now coming to the party, gyrfalcon. We in trucking have billions of miles and hours under our belts regarding SCR and DPF on commercial trucks. We know what works. And CJ-4 spec has met the demand more than amply. Oil is not the problem with these SCR/DPF systems. Virtually 100% of any problems arise from poor maintenance practices on the emissions systems and operators not adhering to OEM guidelines on operating the engines.

As for myself, I am not doubting what you are saying. I don't really know how oil would clog an emissions system, other than engine leaks that would burn off oil, even thou I don't own a diesel, I know your fuel and poor maintance

Sometimes it is a good thing to take a look at what has been tried by others. There is not one heavy commercial fleet truck in America that is only running some OEM only specific oil in these modern SCR / DPF diesels. They are all running a industry standard CJ-4 spec oil. Only the brand names are different. And, of course, there is some variance among trucking operations on what viscosity they are using. But all are CJ-4 rated oils.

The surprising thing that diesel owners have to get used to, running a diesel is a far more owner attention demanding thing if one wants good performance and longevity. The idea that you can just stick a nozzle in a tank, start and drive it, only check the oil, and generally do things like with a gas engine leads to all kinds of problems. New to diesel owners have a lot they need to learn. And oil barely rates in the top 10.

As for myself, I am not doubting you. Fuel and poor maintenance would be the failure of those emission systems and oil would likely have little impact. Where you need to send your message is to GM. Otherwise, Cruze owners need to concern themselves about warranty.

I think the point is that based on the available info that is listed in the above chart, the "correct" oil actually looks to be as good or superior to the CJ-4 one. It's thicker at operating temps, has a higher flash point (which some would say means better basestocks), and has a lower ash content. How would a CJ-4 rated diesel oil be better than the ESP version?

New to diesel owners have a lot they need to learn. And oil barely rates in the top 10.

Share your top 10 list with us! :p I'll comment on the rest as soon as I get a chance.

Question for TiredTrucker: When it's time for a truck engine to be rebuilt, what is actually done during the rebuild? I've never heard of an auto diesel being rebuilt due to high miles and wearing out. It's always a repair due to defects or bad maintenance.

Depends on what level of overhaul one is wanting to do. Anywhere from new liners, bearing, head gaskets, etc all the way up to OEM reman. Can't speak to the diesel in the Cruze, but the 2.8L in my Jeep Liberty diesel is wet sleeved and bears a striking resemblance to any class 8 15L engine in many ways. It can be rebuilt to the same various levels that the heavy diesels can. The new 2.8L for the Colorado / Canyon midsize pickup platform is virtually a spitting image of the VM 2.8L in the Jeep Liberty, except for a few minor changes.

Top ten list?

Don't have them categorized in order, but fuel quality issues including water and microbes. Excessive idling which can choke DPF systems more frequently leading to frequent regens and early DPF filter replacements. Fuel filters in cold weather clogging up sooner due to icing, non-winterized treated fuel, higher levels of biodiesel, etc. Closed crankcase oil capture and buildup of oil in charge air cooler. MAP sensor cleaning due to oil vapor and soot from EGR in intake. Both active and passive DPF regens. SCR quality and filter replacements. Dosing injectors for both SCR and DPF, EGR cooler issues. General operation and keeping the engine inside the prime operating band... i.e. keeping engine RPM's too low when working the engine generates excessive EGT's and can take out a VG turbo prematurely, and jackrabbit, hard take offs can lead to excessive soot loading because of the intervals between fuel loading and turbo boost build up by the turbo. Making hose clamp checks on CAC system a regular part of routine checks to ensure no leaks leading to poor power or inefficiency, and many more issues that are as critical if not more so than whether the oil is rated dexos2 or CJ-4. Unlike the typical gas auto owner, the diesel owner needs to glean every bit out of the owners operation manual as they can and be anal about maintenance issues if they want to keep problems to a minimum.

ESP is a CJ-4 rated oil also. Virtually every HDEO oil on the shelf at any Wally or parts store is a CJ-4 rated oil. You will find an occasional variety that isn't. CJ-4 is the de facto standard for HDEO in the U.S. since 2007. It was specifically designed for EPA '07 emissions on up. Any CJ-4 rated oil is a low ash oil designed to keep soot clumping in the oil under control and protect DPF systems among other things, and is backward compatible. CJ-4 has carried on and is the de facto standard still with SCR / DPF combo systems due to EPA 2010 standards. Now, 2016 is looming and the standard will change again. No one has determined the exact spec number yet, but it is being called PC-11 in the interim. It will be primarily targeted at fuel economy standards on top of the emissions stuff.

Thanks Trucker. I didn't know the ESP oils were CJ4 as the bottle says nothing. I use the Mobil 1 esp for Mercedes. This is my first diesel but I understand the importance of air, fuel, and oil filters. I use Power Service in most every fill. No jack rabbit starts but when I do get on it, it seems to run better and get better mileage. It has such a small oil filter that I change it about every 5-6k miles as it's easy and cheap. That may be overkill but I can get Mahle filters for about $5. I think the engine will last a long time but I don't know about all the electronics and emission controls.
That new oil spec you mentioned, if they are going for better fuel economy then I think protection will suffer.

running down the road, a diesel does as fine as a gasser. it is those jack rabbit starts at the light and such that generate the soot loading. Many folks who have only driven gas vehicles, their habits carry over to driving the diesel versions, and they run into problems. Running down the highway, kick a diesel in the rear and it will run admirably.

I am not sure that protection will suffer. For instance, every commercial heavy diesel OEM now factory fills with 10w30 CJ-4. It is not much of a stretch to the new PC-11 spec (or whatever they finally call it). That, thus far, has centered around a 10w30 oil. There are many fleets that have moved their 13-15L engines over to 30w oils exclusively, are racking up some very serious miles with heavy loads from Canada to the Rio Grande year round, and are not having any reliability issues. But they seem to be reporting mpg improvements as a benefit.

But it is really a moot point anyway. There are so many diesels on the road that CJ-4 (and even the older CI-4+) will not go away anytime soon. This new oil spec will NOT be backward compatible according to those that are involved in testing. So CJ-4 oils will be with us for quite a while.

Api CJ4 is low SAPS oil only in term of HDEO, it's actually full SAPS when used in small passenger cars. SAPS limit for CJ4 is 1.0, and for C3 oils is 0.8.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back