when to change, what to do

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in a similar situation this past summer. Except mine is a mini-van. PP 5w-20 that was in, was around 4500-5000 miles into it. Drive to FL is 2000+ miles round trip. I could have just changed the oil when I got back from Florida...

But I factored in the weight. We were 6 people in the van.. along with the whatever stuff in the cargo, plus a roof bag. So I knew the engine will work harder due to added weight. Plus speeds of up to 80-90 mph. I opted to change the oil before the trip. Gave me peace of mind. Oil is cheap. $22 of PP, is worth my peace of mind.

More important is the condition of the tires. If tires are good, just put manufacturer recommended tire pressure. I never subscribe to the idea of over-inflating a bit for the fuel economy. IMO, any fuel savings is negligible, compared to cost of the whole trip, especially that gas prices is lower now. Proper tire pressure if safer.

If you really want better mpg, there are other ways of doing it... Like driving 65mph or lower. Gain speed before a hill, do not accelerate uphill, and go easy & let it pickup speed downhill. Drive steady, and anticipate other cars movement, and avoid them. that will allow you to avoid slowing down. Go easy on the airconditioning. etc. etc. etc.

You were responsible for the lives of 5 people and drove 80-90 mph?

Originally Posted By: filb14
But I factored in the weight. We were 6 people in the van.. along with the whatever stuff in the cargo, plus a roof bag. So I knew the engine will work harder due to added weight. Plus speeds of up to 80-90 mph.

Originally Posted By: GumbyJarvis
Originally Posted By: mulehead
7500 sounds great and put on a oem filter

do tell where there's a store where I can find the MOPAR filter and pick it up today. lol
I now normally pop a tough guard, Bosch d+, or MANN oil filter on it

Mopar filters are available at most large auto parts chains like Advanced Auto. Mann filters are a good quality filter as well.

I would not put an oiled K&N element on anything I own, I've actually walked away from a used vehicle that the previous owner had installed. They are a performance oriented filter and in most cases don't meet OEM specifications. Cummins will void your warranty if a K&N is used.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer

But I factored in the weight. We were 6 people in the van.. along with the whatever stuff in the cargo, plus a roof bag. So I knew the engine will work harder due to added weight. Plus speeds of up to 80-90 mph.

Troll. Don't tell everyone you have not speed in your life. Remember, you're sharing the road with others. Their lives is in your hands too. Don't cast stones in a glass house.

Now go away and GFY, self righteous troll.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oil Changer

There's nothing wrong with driving 80-90 mph. 80 mph is the speed limit in much of Utah and somewhere in Texas it's 85 mph.

put on a oem filter

Originally Posted By: toneydoc
Skip the seafoam.

Originally Posted By: Bud_One
Skip the seafoam.

Originally Posted By: Kira
If I was 1,200 miles from home the last thing I'd do would be having my engine suck up a load of solvent (Sea-Foam) in a parking lot.

Best advice in the thread !!!

(and check your tires too)

Again. My car, engine, and year, mopar filters are hard to come by.
all across Oklahoma, Texas, Florida, and Georgia I have never seen the mopar filter for my car in any auto parts store or in any normal store (WalMart, Kmart, target, etc)
I've been to NAPA, CARQUEST, OREILLYS, AAP, AZ, PEPBOYS, etc and never seen them. I have found them online and at dealerships. Rockauto ranges from 12-15$, Stealerships range from 15-20$

if the mopar oil filters now are anything like the air filter, cabin air filter, or every other filter, they're repackaged Mann brand. I just replaced the cabin air filter from factory to a microguard, it was a Mann, when I installed the cold air intake, the box filter was a mopar made by Mann.

I'll stick to aftermarket filters that have higher efficiency than the mopar oil filters, that are a fraction of the price.

if I am going to spend 12-20$ on an oil filter it will be a fram ultra, amsoil, or any other long lasting higher rated filter.

put on a oem filter

Originally Posted By: GumbyJarvis
Again. My car, engine, and year, mopar filters are hard to come by.

I think he was referring to the air filter. Get rid of that K&N garbage

You basically have a brand new car... you should still be on the factory air filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back