Weird Observation with new Spark Plug

Status
Not open for further replies.
The explanation make perfect sense....that the new plug is attempting to burn off all the extra oil and fuel in that cylinder so it takes a minutes for it to "heal" itself.

As far as me addressing the oil burning cylinder....I'm just not going to do it.

I really lack the experience to change the valve seals, and because it's just one cylinder (Cylinder #1, driver's side, closest to the radiator), I kinda doubt it's a valve seal.

My buddy recently replaced the intake gasket and he's successfully done a few hundreds of these, so I doubt he screwed that up.

It could be a worn valve guide, and I'm not pulling the heads off this engine to fix it. Not worth it. It could also be a broken ring, and I'm also not pulling the heads off to fix that either. This is an old engine with 200k miles on it. A new GM crate engine for this truck is about $1600. When the engine dies, I'll probably replace the engine with one of these OEM crate assemblies.

Last edited:
Oh, I forgot to add, and I ran outta time to edit....

But I've run a hotter plug, and it did nothing.

The other 7 plugs looks GREAT after 10k miles...I change them every year regardless. But #1 has a scab over it in 2-3k miles.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher

+1 What kind of plugs are you using as well? Some engines dont play well with certain plugs. Plugs I always stick with whatever the OEM and heat range was for that engine.

Since it's the #1 plug (easy access, in the front), I can literally change it in less than a minute. No big deal.

I run OEM plugs. AC Delco TS43's. I could try the anti-fouler. But since it's no big deal to change the plug, I usually change it out before it ever fouls. I'd rather never have it miss and run like [censored].

Originally Posted By: another Todd
In that case I would use the plugs you take out of the other cylinders and replace #1 with those slightly used plugs as needed.

That's exactly what I do. When I go through all 7 plugs, I clean them on the wire wheel, and start over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back