Oil Filter Inflow Holes => Flow Rate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 3311
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I'm glad you realize that the oil pump bypass and filter bypass(approx 12 psi as well) are different.

LOL ... I've said that all along. Again, how can I see 75 psi of oil pressure if the pressure relief valve is open all the way at 62 psi as you claim?

Cold oil, high rpms, pump outputting more than can be bypassed etc... The gearator pump does not by pass back to the pan, it bypasses within the pump which may be a reason.

It has been in the 40's here in Fl the last two mornings and both days I was well over 60 psi hile pulling into traffic with my 04 below.

Artic temps down here, brrrrrrr. Thank goodness we are warming up today.
smile.gif

I see oil pressure on the gauge of 70~75 psi when near red line with hot oil (200+ F) - Mobil 1 full synthetic 5W-30. Stock LS6.

I'm glad you realize that the oil pump bypass and filter bypass(approx 12 psi as well) are different.

LOL ... I've said that all along. Again, how can I see 75 psi of oil pressure if the pressure relief valve is open all the way at 62 psi as you claim?

Cold oil, high rpms, pump outputting more than can be bypassed etc... The gearator pump does not by pass back to the pan, it bypasses within the pump which may be a reason.

It has been in the 40's here in Fl the last two mornings and both days I was well over 60 psi hile pulling into traffic with my 04 below.

Artic temps down here, brrrrrrr. Thank goodness we are warming up today.
smile.gif

I see oil pressure on the gauge of 70~75 psi when near red line with hot oil (200+ F) - Mobil 1 full synthetic 5W-30. Stock LS6.

Your pump is exceeding engine demand and what can be bypassed. Normal.

Your pump is exceeding engine demand and what can be bypassed. Normal.

The oil pressure sensor is after the oil filter. Every stock LS1 and LS6 has that kind of oil pressure at high RPM. The engine doesn't "demand" oil. The engine gets "force fed" by the oil pump until the pump starts going into pressure relief to control the max pressure, and hence the max oil flow that can be force fed to the engine.

If the pressure regulator is "fully open at 62 psi" as you said, and if oil pressures are seen higher than that, then apparently the bypass valve is under sized, or it's really fully open at a higher setting like around 80~85 psi.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
I measured my new denso filters which have 8 holes but 5mm diameter, which makes them close to the center hole in flow. But then what about the oil passages after the center oil tube in the engine? It may get smaller down the line, pretty sure the companies know what they are doing after all these decades making holes in baseplates. But then why does the other one have such large holes if not needed? Maybe they recycle the steel plugs stamped out into new baseplates, cost saving?

Not surprisingly you are correct. I re-measured inflow area which is in the form of a hexagon (previously I had to estimate the area from the image because I had already installed the filter) and it is 105mm^2. Inflow areas for Purolator and Bosch are 127mm^2. For Fram it is 369mm^2.

brXJPCW.jpg

TT7wy42.jpg

Here is the Fram TG6607 opened. Very sturdy construction if you ask me. The cardboard to cardboard bond is stronger than cardboard itself, as it's the cardboard that breaks not the bonded area when you try to break it.

FRisYmg.jpg

XiwypeN.jpg

c2O3Wn9.jpg

bhVAE6O.jpg

davison, I'm sure you realise this by now, but even though the TG has a far greater inlet area than the other filters you were comparing it to, that's misleading as none of the potentially additional flow is usable by your engine.

I'm not knocking the TG as a filter, just pointing out that using inlet hole area as a selection criterion in not realistic.

Originally Posted By: davison0976
Not surprisingly you are correct. I re-measured inflow area which is in the form of a hexagon ...

If there is a smaller hole down inside the hexagon, then the inflow area is even smaller than you found using the area of the hexagon.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
davison, I'm sure you realise this by now, but even though the TG has a far greater inlet area than the other filters you were comparing it to, that's misleading as none of the potentially additional flow is usable by your engine.

I'm not knocking the TG as a filter, just pointing out that using inlet hole area as a selection criterion in not realistic.

+1 ... having twice as much inlet hole area vs. outlet hole area isn't gonna buy you anything you'll ever notice (maybe save about 0.01 psi of delta-p across the filter).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back