E-85 Now costs more then gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
E-85 in our town is now $2.69 Gal. Regular is now $2.59 Gal. When they first started sell E-85 it was about a $1.00 less a Gal.

Who would pay extra for a fuel that cuts your mileage by %30? Ethanol has never performed well and would have never found a customer without a huge lobbying effort from the corn growers and ADM.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What he said. Signed in to law by President Bush to help the corn growers. It actually costs more to produce and distribute than gasoline. And you get less millage....such a deal!

Last edited:
The pigs are gaining ground. Taking corn from people and pigs when there is oil sitting there ready to be drilled is something only a politicians would promote.

It's cheaper here. It takes a while for it to go down as the turn over is not as fast as regular unleaded, is what I was told.

Please don't press my ethanol buttons... I don't care for the stuff as a retail motor fuel. I do however have a bottle of Buffalo Trace in the cabinet where ethanol shines in one of its best roles ....

Originally Posted By: fsskier
Who would pay extra for a fuel that cuts your mileage by %30? Ethanol has never performed well and would have never found a customer without a huge lobbying effort from the corn growers and ADM.

It's 100-and-something octane, some modded turbo types love the stuff. As in, fancy standalone FI hot rod level.

I always thought it was for rental cars, the ones that take it of course.
whistle.gif

Something wrong there. I just did a lot of driving in tc last week, and bought e-85 for $1.85/gal. RUG was between $2.29 and $2.59 depending upon where you were.

If you like your E-85 you can keep your E-85. And if you have a pre-existing condition you can have E-85 for the same price as everyone else. It will be cheaper and more people will finally have access to E-85. You have the government's word on that.

I run E85 every now and then on my Sierra. I gain 25 HP but lose about 2 MPG. Just filled up with E85 tonight for $1.69 a gallon!

Way to go! Can't seem to find E85 for less than $2.15 in my area. E15 is a dime higher, and E10 a dime higher than E15. Using the E15 right now. No real mpg change from regular or E10 in my pickup, so best bang for the buck right now. Unlike last year, where the spreads were much more, this year in my area the spread in pricing on E85 is not large enough to compensate for the mpg loss.

Well, now fellas, to be fair, ethanol use does reduce the amount of gasoline used, be it from foreign oil or home drilled. Very few vehicles lose mpg at the level to the ethanol, i.e. 10% mpg loss on E10 or 85% mpg loss with E85. Bush may have had a hand in things, but ethanol blended fuels have been readily available since the late 70's. My first use was in 1978. Long before Daddy Bush or Baby Bush were in office. Even with the mpg loss of ethanol blends, there is a net reduction and offset to refined gasoline usage.

If my Jeep could run anything more than E10 (and if E15-E30 was available here) Id sure do some experimenting. I don't care what I use as long as my price per mile is the smallest possible.

Originally Posted By: splinter

Nonsense. It’s (E-85) “reducing our dependence on foreign oil” so that the U.S. can, of course, export more crude!

That's great! The dollar gets stronger and everything we import, including oil at times, gets cheaper!

(The crude we export, logistically, is better off leaving anyway.)

Until the export ban on US crude oil is lifted, it's never going to amount to much at all beyond the limited exceptions currently in place.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: splinter
Nonsense. It’s (E-85) “reducing our dependence on foreign oil” so that the U.S. can, of course, export more crude!

That's great! The dollar gets stronger and everything we import, including oil at times, gets cheaper!

(The crude we export, logistically, is better off leaving anyway.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back