Has anyone changed the fluid on a Ford 6R80 tranny

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtd

I want to change the transmission fluid on my 2014 Mustang GT in the near future to get out all of the break in material out. This transmission does not have a conventional dipstick but has a short one mounted underneath on the top right corner of the transmission next to the exhaust. I don't have a lift or anyway to keep the vehicle level while still being able to get underneath it to pull the dipstick.

Has anyone here changed the fluid on one of these or even on any transmission with no conventional dipstick.

I really don't want to take it to the dealer to get it done but that may be my only option.

Wayne

They are enough of a pain to do on a lift. I imagine they would be a nightmare on the ground. I have had the pan off of several F150's due to the fluid leak around the hardshell connector on the back of the trans.

I have changed it twice on my 2010 FX4, but always at the dealer. There is no dipstick on the transmission and coupled with all of the complexities, I simply allowed the dealer to do it so there was no guesswork.

Yup, these Ford 6spd autos are supposed to be lubed for life (or 150,000miles, I guess that's considered the life of the vehicle now?). That said I'll be planning on a trans flush and fill before I get to 100k in my truck.

I don't trust any filled for life fluid and is why I plan on changing mine out way before 150,000 miles.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: buck91
Yup, these Ford 6spd autos are supposed to be lubed for life (or 150,000miles, I guess that's considered the life of the vehicle now?). That said I'll be planning on a trans flush and fill before I get to 100k in my truck.

Interestingly, my 09, F150 owners manual calls for a trans fluid change at 60,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: 87sammy
ever install that dipstick?

No, I was going to do it about a month ago but I didn't have much time and when I looked up from underneath it, there didn't seem to be a lot of room to put the dipstick past the exhaust and wires. I know it can be done because one of the Mustang magazines installed one a few years ago. I will probably do it when it warms up since I've put the car up for the winter.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: AITG
Here is the whole process, step by step: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQe11789HsQ&list=UUN467fmgLLlk98JddJLL51w
FordTechMakuloco. This guy is excellent. You can subscribe to his YouTube videos.

Thanks. I actually watched his videos on this procedure not long ago. The only problem I foresee doing this job myself is getting the car high enough off the ground to drop the pan but also have the car level. I guess I could put the front of the car up on ramps and the rear of the car up on jack stands.

I'm also leery about being able to get the correct level of fluid even with his video on that.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back