2014 Diesel Cruze / Dexos2 5W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I planned on using Valvoline Synpower 5W-30 in my diesel Cruze that has an ash content of 0.93. The Dexos2 approved Synpower MST has an ash content of 0.78 but it's only available in 55 gallon drums or in Europe from what i can tell.

Does anyone have advice on what oil to use in the US diesel cruze? From what I can tell a ACEA C3 or Dexos2 approval is needed to comply with the warranty.

I'd prefer an oil that fully synthetic and available in gallon+ containers.

Last edited:
Doesn't the dealer carry the required oil? Or buy Castrol VW 507 oil.

Also, check on line for quarts and gallons of the Dexos oil.

Originally Posted By: Boomer

The dealer uses Mobil Super™ 3000 XE 5W-30 from what I understand. I'm basically looking for alternatives in the USA.

I'm paying around $5-7 a quart for Synpower (non-mst). I'd prefer not to get ripped off on buying low ash 5W-30 oil in the USA.

I emailed Ashland long ago about making Synpower MST 5W30 available in quart or liter bottles in the U.S.. I suggested they could even limit the sale of it through Amazon as it would be a low volume seller.

You might look at the Pennzoil Ultra Euro L 5W-30. It's currently $7.39 a quart at Amazon. It's not Dexos 2, but it is C3 and does meet all of the most stringent European specifications.

Ed

If you don't use what is required and have an issue with the engine, you will find NO warranty coverage. The DPFs are sensitive and that is something you don't want to screw up.

AMSOIL's AFL 5w-40 meets dexos 2 specifications. It isn't on the approved dexos 2 list but it meets it. Just and FYI

Mobile 1 ESP 5W-30 or 5W-40
Pennzoil Ultra Euro L 5w-30
AMSoil European Car formula 5W-30 or 5W-40
Total Quartz Low Saps 5w-30
Motul 8100 x-clean 5w-40

Avoid the GM syn-blend dexos2 5w-30.

I'm running the AMSoil european car low-saps 5w-30 in mine right now. I've run the motul and mobile esp 5w-40 in the past.

Last edited:
Napa has MST 5w30 by the quart. Part number 787301.

Amazon has Pennzoil Ultra Euro L. Perhaps that might work? Search for item B006A49J02 on Amazon.

Pep Boys carries M1 ESP.

Mag 1 Euro is available on Amazon at a good price and meets C3 standards.

If you don't use what is required and have an issue with the engine, you will find NO warranty coverage. The DPFs are sensitive and that is something you don't want to screw up.

I'm not sure if you've searched for 5W-30 Dexos2 / ACEA C3 oil in the USA, but it's not very common and not especially affordable.

I don't want to screw up or shorten the life of the DPF, or void the warranty. I also don't want to pay a ton for oil if I don't have to.

Originally Posted By: Kory
Mobile 1 ESP 5W-30 or 5W-40
Pennzoil Ultra Euro L 5w-30
AMSoil European Car formula 5W-30 or 5W-40
Total Quartz Low Saps 5w-30
Motul 8100 x-clean 5w-40

Avoid the GM syn-blend dexos2 5w-30.

Originally Posted By: Rat407
AMSOIL's AFL 5w-40 meets dexos 2 specifications. It isn't on the approved dexos 2 list but it meets it. Just and FYI

Thanks for the recommendations.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn

Amazon has Pennzoil Ultra Euro L. Perhaps that might work? Search for item B006A49J02 on Amazon.

Pep Boys carries M1 ESP.

Thanks for the tip on Mag 1. I think that's the product I'll be looking at.

Here is a weird question... If I got a 55 gallon drum of Valvoline Synpower MST, would it be usable in normal non-diesel 5W-30 vehicles? ILSAC Grade vs non-ILSAC

www.valvoline.com/pdf/synpower.pdf

Code:
Test 5W-30 ILSAC 5W-30 MST

Vis @ 100°C (cSt) 10.7 12.0

Vis @ 40°C (cSt) 59.5 72.0

Viscosity Index 172 163

Spec Gravity @ 60°F 0.847 0.852

Density(lbs/gal) 7.06 7.1

Total Base No. 8.7 7

Flash COC (°C) 223 227

Pour Point (°C) -42 -42

CCS cP (°C) 4300 @ -30 6020@-30

MRV TP-1 cP (°C) 18,000@-35 20,000@-35

NOACK, wt. % loss 10.0 9.3

Sulfated Ash 0.93 0.78

Zinc/Phosphorus, wt.% 0.083/0.076 0.084/0.077

Sodium, wt% 0.049 N/A

Calcium, wt% 0.211 0.193

MST for some gasoline engines?

No reason why it wouldnt (be superb/usable) - if that engines need ACEA A3/B4, API SM or BMW LL-04 recommended oil.

Last edited:
Valvoline MST is ACEA C3 compliant so it won't work in petrol cars in US due to high sulphur content in your fuel. It will work in a modern diesels with DPFs though.
Cheers.

I thought the Cruze came with free oil changes for the first 2 years.
If not, I found a list of Dexos 2 engine oils on the GM Authority site.

Then of course there is the GM brand which is likely the factory fill too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Went to my GM dealer to look at the DC when they first came out.
Asked the service desk what cost the oil change would be after a test drive they responded they had no idea what oil to use and when they would get any.
I didnt buy the car.
I wanted to but the service desk hadn't a clue, it didn't inspire confidence.

Originally Posted By: DS9
Originally Posted By: chrisri
Valvoline MST is ACEA C3 compliant so it won't work in petrol cars in US due to high sulphur content in your fuel. It will work in a modern diesels with DPFs though.
Cheers.

???

Of course MST will work for some gasoline engines (in USA) since this oil is (also) API SN,SM compliant

http://www.valvolineeurope.com/uploadedFiles/3566.pdf

Yeah, what I wanted to say it's not suitable for EUROPEAN petrol cars in NA. Non ILSAC, SN cars will be fine with it, lower TBN wouldn't be an issue as they have shorter OCI.

Originally Posted By: chrisri
Yeah, what I wanted to say it's not suitable for EUROPEAN petrol cars in NA. Non ILSAC, SN cars will be fine with it, lower TBN wouldn't be an issue as they have shorter OCI.

I live in an area where the sulfur in the gas meets, or is less than European standard limits.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn

Pep Boys carries M1 ESP.

Here is a good source for the ESP oils with as good a price as I have been able to find. He also has the 5w-30ESP and told me that he is going to soon list a 5w-30 MB oil made for them by Mobil that meets the new 229.52 specs.

Last edited:
Man, I pitty you guys/girls with Chevy Cruze diesel. I didn't know that GM made there oil hard to come by. Make you really not want to buy the car. I am surprised that one commenter's dealer couldn't give them a cost of an oil change, that is just incompetent. The best they could of done for you is to at least look into it, and get back to you, which should of been like 15 minutes. They should have all that info. at there disposal and GM should have a product for all there needs.

Otherwise, if you like a cruze diesel, I would take advantage of all free oil changes first. Make sure the dealer uses the right oil. Once that runs out, then just go find the cheapest Dexos 2, or ACEA C3 oil and do the oil changes yourself to save cost. As of now, any independent garages or oil change places probably don't have in stock. Although they tell you to use 5w30, they also say you may use 0w30(2014), or 0w40(2015) below -20 F. Either oil would be fine to use at any temperature, but for warranty, would they try to tell you it didn't drop below -20 F? Plus they got to prove it was the oil that caused the failure to deny a warranty claim.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back