What is wrong with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
The car you're looking for may be a truck.

My friends recent brand new Ram has knob for automatic transmission along with a million other overcomplex do dads. Nice truck but I don't trust dodge for longevity on this stuff.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Quality has improved markedly over the last 20 years.

It's true that we as a society have the ability to build cars with better quality. However, I'm not sure most cars are actually built that way for the reasons of planned obsolescence.

We are living in a very much disposable society. Majority of people don't want to hold onto things for too long because something newer/cooler/nicer comes out all the time. So the companies purposely don't design things to last a long time because it would cost more money.

And just because you pay a lot for a car does not guarantee quality.

Originally Posted By: jimbrewer
Don't like the poor visibility in today's cars. I know a lot of it is safety mandated by roll over standards, but a lot of it is self inflicted, too. There's a toddler-sized blind spot behind my standard cab f-150 that's about 30 feet long. It scares the excrement out of me. A high price to pay to raise the side of the box six or eight inches, if you ask me.

The silly frou frou doesn't bother me. Perfectly happy to unlock my own doors for $800.

This. Such narrow side glass so many modern cars have, as if there's a glass shortage somewhere; and the headrests are usually in the way as well.

I've very glad of the solidity and reliability of modern cars, though.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

It's true that we as a society have the ability to build cars with better quality. However, I'm not sure most cars are actually built that way for the reasons of planned obsolescence.

We are living in a very much disposable society. Majority of people don't want to hold onto things for too long because something newer/cooler/nicer comes out all the time. So the companies purposely don't design things to last a long time because it would cost more money.

I'm still using computers from 2008 with core 2 duo. I upgraded with a SSD drive and maxed out the ram. it's fast enough for me. but it's junk compared to today's tech.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Agree.

And while a lot of cars will do 200K easily on the mechanicals, or at least the engine, you end up needing lock actuators, window regulators, body control modules, etc. along the way. And those things add up quick. Worse than driving a car that never came loaded up with features, is driving one with a bunch of broken features.

At work we have replaced a couple new Camaro radio headunit displays. Why? A knob falls off, and GM doesn't sell just the knob. You must get the whole face. Can't remember how much the thing costs off the top of my head, but it's a lot ($400+ IIRC, some are around $700+).

And all these fancy freaking key fobs are the worst. People flip out when they find out it will be $200+ to replace the key/fob they lost instead of $5. That's the kind of stuff most people don't think about when buying the car. When it comes to signing on the dotted line, they are all giddy about the stupid push to start button or flip out fob. Then they lose the thing and throw a fit. Here's an idea...stop acting like a wild out of control animal in my parts department and go buy a car with a $5 key next time (like a G body Cutlass or something). Or don't lose your keys/fob/electronic trinket. I'm convinced these fobs are not about security as much as "lookit...trinket for car, shiny light up things."

Today our sales dept sold a new Sonic to someone. Turns out, a CD player is not available in the 2014 Sonic. GM expects you to screen it up and sync things and connect things, not to insert some kind of disc object. Customer wants CD, sales idiots say "NO PROBLEM, JUST SIGN!" Then they come parts after the fact. At the least, we are looking at ordering a radio and bezel for a '13, and hopefully it will work with the existing wiring harness. It will run $500+ at least in parts alone, not to mention install, and the car will lose whatever screen functions it had that are not supported on the CD headunit from last year. I told them they are better off buying the customer a portable Walkman type CD player (do they still make those?) and an aux cable. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

It's the extra features that are making cars cost prohibitive to keep around for the really long haul. Engines can do 300K+ easily with basic maintenance, but everything around them falls apart. Consumers demand it, then get mad about it when it breaks.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Nissan Versa!

No power locks, windows. Manual transmission. Manual (not even vacuum) HVAC.
I don't like Nissans for some reason . Subaru don't impress me for some reason . all the leaks blown motors and head gasket replacements.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

And all these fancy freaking key fobs are the worst. People flip out when they find out it will be $200+ to replace the key/fob they lost instead of $5. That's the kind of stuff most people don't think about when buying the car. When it comes to signing on the dotted line, they are all giddy about the stupid push to start button or flip out fob. Then they lose the thing and throw a fit. Here's an idea...stop acting like a wild out of control animal in my parts department and go buy a car with a $5 key next time (like a G body Cutlass or something). Or don't lose your keys/fob/electronic trinket. I'm convinced these fobs are not about security as much as "lookit...trinket for car, shiny light up things."

I think most of the reason people freak out is that its an obvious rip off. They don't mind paying $200 to replace a $200 part, but $200 for a $20 part gets people going...

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

I think most of the reason people freak out is that its an obvious rip off. They don't mind paying $200 to replace a $200 part, but $200 for a $20 part gets people going...

Believe me, they mind paying $200 to replace a $200 part. They mind paying $20 to replace a $20 part. Every part on every car is supposed to be $5.

And none of the $200 keys are $20 for me either.

If people demanded $20 keys, they would get them. They demand fancy keys though. Be careful what you wish for. The manufacturer really doesn't care after the sale what it costs someone to replace a lost key.

In the end though, how much can a key really cost to make? And it doesn't matter to the customer if its Ford or the dealership doing the gouging.
$200 gets you a mediocre tablet computer these days, and there's probably software available for it to open every ford on the lot...

"Re: What is wrong with me."

Resistant to change, among other things you should probably discuss with your pysch.
wink.gif

It sounds like you will gripe about any new car you buy. Keep the truck and wait a few more years until Google and Uber merge into autonomous car service. Then they'll be no "driving" experience to be distracted from.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
In the end though, how much can a key really cost to make? And it doesn't matter to the customer if its Ford or the dealership doing the gouging.
$200 gets you a mediocre tablet computer these days, and there's probably software available for it to open every ford on the lot...

Ultimately, it's a few bucks in raw materials at the most. But then there is manufacturing, packaging, transport from China or Mexico, warehousing/repackaging in the US, etc. Plain blanks for say a 1990s C/K truck come 50 to a bag from GM and list for like $4 a piece. The flip out keys with built in remote entry are individually packaged, no bulk bags. Those $200 tablets are all the same...there may be many part numbers for keys within the same model year depending on what features the car came with...that means smaller production runs of each part number, which means higher cost per unit.

Actually cutting the keys ends up being very expensive. Equipment to do center cut keys and such can run $20K easily, and it doesn't last forever. The software has to be updated, the actual cutting part of the machine wears out, etc. GM's ignition switch recall destroyed one of our machines.

Then there is programming. Sure, it's just hooking up the scan tool, but it still takes time a tech could spend on something else, and the equipment costs money, so it has to be charged for. Duplicates are easy to program on GMs with "+" transponder keys (which are $30), and we do not charge to program a duplicate of those. Not happening with the remote transmitter built in keys though.

Mitsubishi keys are the worst and make Ford and GM seem like the good 'ol days. The blanks are expensive, even if it's just a transponder key with no keyless entry buttons. I cannot BUY a plain Mitsubishi transponder blank for what I SELL a GM transponder blank for. The ones with buttons are astronomically expensive. On top of that, Mitsubishi keys bend and break like nothing I have ever seen. It's so common they offer a repair kit for the ones with keyless entry. And there is no quick, easy way to program a Mitsubishi duplicate...it MUST be done with a scan tool. I hate Mitsubishi keys.

So, the raw materials are cheap, turning it into a usable key is not. $5 or less worth of materials sitting in China won't unlock and start your car right here, right now. The customers can pitch a fit all they want, but it's not economically feasible for anyone to sell them a cut, programmed, transponder key with keyless entry remote for the $5 or $20 they think it should cost.

Yes new cars are more dependable. But. I loved installing Accel hi-rev points (Yes, Points!), cap & rotor and hi-po wires doing a tune up. Adjusting the valves on a small block chevy while engine was running, after installing new cam, lifters and rocker arms. Using a dial back timing light. Remember that? Reading the plugs after a wide open "test" on the back roads checking the "jet" carb mixture. Remember? I do. These new Detroit Hot Rods are cool. But boring in a way too. I'm Old School, but love the new H.P. cars. A person could probably get by with a old time Sears start up tool kit now a days for no more than most us use tools any more. That's me.........
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Saab make great, basic economical cars?
This must be a maker in another dimension from the one I'm in.
Old-school Saabs had their appeal, but there was nothing basic about doing any serious work with a car that had the engine mounted backwards.
I owned an '84 900S auto and an '82 900 Turbo manual. On of the best quirks of that design is that the clutch disk and pressure plate can be removed in about 30 minutes with just basic tools and no lift.
These cars had minimal electronics - the fuel injection was fully mechanical with electronics only to fine-tune the AF ratio. Same idea with the turbo controller - all mechanical controls with electronics supplement. Unplug the turbo electronics and everything still works.

I have no problem with the new technologies. What I don't like are changes to the standard layout of controls such as the shifter, starter and handbrake.

I am still looking . Can't get past the TV screen though . If I want a glass cockpit I would be looking at a Boeing 787 or the like.

Originally Posted By: oldhp
I loved installing Accel hi-rev points (Yes, Points!), cap & rotor and hi-po wires doing a tune up. Adjusting the valves on a small block chevy while engine was running, after installing new cam, lifters and rocker arms. Using a dial back timing light. Remember that? Reading the plugs after a wide open "test" on the back roads checking the "jet" carb mixture. Remember? I do.

YES! Me too!!
banana2.gif

Oh the memories..............

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back