Best bang for the buck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys looking to spend roughly 200 dollars on an oil bypass filter setup.

What is the best bang for the buck. When I search for them on google, I only find Amsoil and Kleen. I've never heard of Kleen. But I always hear good things about Amsoil.
I just want to make sure I'm getting the best thing possible for the amount of money. I know that the Amsoil kit comes with a filter, but is there a better filter I can buy for the next time round?

What should I be purchasing?

I have a 1999 Isuzu Trooper with a 3.5 v6.

Amsoil's is in general top notch. There's a guy on here running their bypass on his Honda and going 40k OCIs.

Wow!
I read that there's is down to 2microns.
But there are other brands on there that are down to 1 micron.
Are the other brands filters compatible with amsoils setup?

If I'm paying the money I might as well get the best possible!

> Are the other brands filters compatible with amsoils setup?

Eh, no. They use some relatively non-standard thread, and the only filters that even fit on it from other companies, are like 20 micron filters, not 2 micron.

Then again, every filter that does 1-3 micron filtration has some kind of unique thread pitch it seems..
smile.gif
Basically, you get stuck with whatever company you pick for your setup.

Some people (including me) have toyed with the idea of using CAT 2 micron fuel filters as bypass oil filter, but nobody ever posted results, as far as I know. For actual diesel fuel filtering, they do seem to be really good.

Personally, I descided not to run bypass filtering at all, its just not economically viable to extend the life on cheap oil on a cheap and easily replaced* engine.

*In my case, the engine had been sold in many more cars, so the car is actually much rarer than the engine. For a bypass setup, I'd have to import parts, nobody sells the stuff here, and the completed setup would costs as much as a donor engine, should this one ever die before the car. Replacement canisters too, $10 for a canister, $25 shipping.
frown.gif
Those probably have a similar replacement interval to my current oil change interval, on which I spend $25 for 5 quarts of Synthetic oil and an OEM filter.
I'm sticking to that, even if it means I can't filter out the soot. (Diesel engine)

So yeah, even at best bang for buck, bypass filtering is not for everyone..
smile.gif

Last edited:
I don't think it should be too difficult to install one.

The Amsoil setup looks like by far the easiest one to install.

Is there one as easy to install as Amsoil that is a one micron filter?

We had a member here build his own by-pass set up buying all the parts separately then putting it all together on his own.
Iirc the Amsoil product was of better quality and by the time it was all said and done a few dollars cheaper,not including all his time chasing fittings and whatnot.
If I was going to buy one it would be the Amsoil unit. I'd relocate the full flow and have a by-pass filter on the same mount to make filter changes easier and help a bit with oil cooling.
The thing about by-pass filtration is return on investment. You gotta run much longer intervals which is entirely possible because of the oil being so much cleaner but then you've gotta run used oil analysis which is an added cost to determine just how long the oil can be safely run.
On something like my forklift I certainly can see a benefit however to maintain my warranty I've gotta change the oil at 250 hours no matter what,so for me there really isn't any point.
If you can chase down the franz brand toilet paper set up I've seen fir myself how good they are,and no need to commit to a single brand of filter based on thread.

I realize the FS2500 is a little more expensive to buy, but it sure is a heck of a lot easier to install and deal with. They come with complete kits of all required fittings, proper length hoses, etc based on the vehicle it is going on. I have installed 3 of them, and had each one installed in about an hour. No need to track down anything at the parts store. Relatively speaking, one real easy install.

They recommend changing the filters they use at 10,000 miles, but I normally let them go to my normal oil change interval of around 25,000 and still have soot levels below 1%.

Hey Guys: I bought a FRANTZ Oil Cleaner Kit and its a great investment to clean your oil. The selling point for me was the cost of replacing the element.

The Amsoil kit may be cheaper and have a quick spin on type filter, but the replacement element is also quite expensive to maintain.

The Frantz is a little messy to change the toilet paper. Keep in mind, the TP is around $1 for a replacement roll and needs about a quart of make up oil.

I did an experiment to see how tight to pack the TP roll into the Frantz canister and determined to use Scott 1000 in the individually wrapped rolls. The center core is smaller (1-1/2) and remove around 20-24 wraps of paper, it fits very tight even after run in oil.

Installation is not all that difficult depending upon what has to be done. My vehicle is European and that presented some challenges due to available fittings but still doable. Its mostly time consuming for a clean installation.

Amsoil kits are seriously competitive when it comes to life cycle cost, next to Frantz (however in a different league) they are the most cost effective solution (efficiency no object). When you look at efficiency, they are also top notch (2 micron ABSOLUTE is pretty well as good as it gets these days, (Amsoil, FS2500, Kleenoil, Luber-Finer, etc.) however, Amsoil's synthetic nano-fiber filters simply last longer, guaranteed 30,000 miles, or every other full flow filter change, which can be up to 50,000 miles.

Using Amsoil Signature Series oils in conjunction with their bypass setup, makes for a seriously high grade lubrication system.

Ive been looking at many bypass setups. I actually like the Frantz setup until i saw the price.
The amsoil bypass filter could be left on for one or two years.Maybe the lack of having to deal with it much could be a selling point.
I also see some farm tractor oil filter cartridge canisters.I wonder if a decent low micron filter could be found to fit one.
I guess ill just stick with my bigger oil filter and synthetic oil for now.

I'm running an Amsoil bypass setup on my car and a Kleenoil filter on my wife's car. Setup for both is typical; you need to tap into the oil pressure somewhere, I installed a Tee onto the engine threads where the oil pressure sensor mounts.

You have to run a supply and a return hose and (build) a mounting bracket. I ordered AN fittings (JIC) and a SS braid supply hose from Ebay.

Thus far, the Kleenoil filter is doing a better job of producing clean oil. My wife's car oil cleanliness is 16/15/13 and mine is 17/16/13. The Kleenoil distributor I had to buy from told me I'm the ONLY car in the St. Louis area with one on it.

Currently the oil in my car has 15K on it and my wife's only has 8K on it. Both cars have Amsoil synthetic and Filtermags. http://www.filtermag.com/

Originally Posted By: Dufus2
Hey Guys: I bought a FRANTZ Oil Cleaner Kit and its a great investment to clean your oil. The selling point for me was the cost of replacing the element.

The Amsoil kit may be cheaper and have a quick spin on type filter, but the replacement element is also quite expensive to maintain.

The Frantz is a little messy to change the toilet paper. Keep in mind, the TP is around $1 for a replacement roll and needs about a quart of make up oil.

I did an experiment to see how tight to pack the TP roll into the Frantz canister and determined to use Scott 1000 in the individually wrapped rolls. The center core is smaller (1-1/2) and remove around 20-24 wraps of paper, it fits very tight even after run in oil.

Installation is not all that difficult depending upon what has to be done. My vehicle is European and that presented some challenges due to available fittings but still doable. Its mostly time consuming for a clean installation.
How often do you change the tp?

We put an AMSOIL Bypass filter on a friend's farm tractor. He tested the oil every year.
After 4 years, he called me and said that he had changed oil, even though the lab said it was still good. He said he just had to change it!

This year I am running a Donaldson P550881 fuel filter as an oil bypass filter. Here are the results from my first oil change. I usually have to add .25 qt every 500 miles. This was a WIX oil analysis. Next oil change interval will be at least 15K. Oil was SuperTech 5w30.

2000 Camry I4
total miles 216762
oci (miles) 8571
Metals (ppm)
Iron (Fe) 7
Chromium (Cr) Lead (Pb) Copper (Cu) 1
Tin (Sn) Aluminium (Al) 2
Nickel (Ni) Silver (Ag) Titanium (Ti) Vanadium (V) Contaminants (ppm)
Silicon (Si) 6
Sodium (Na) 11
Potassium (K) Additives (ppm)
Magnesium (Mg) Calcium (Ca) 2284
Barium (Ba) Phosphorus (P) 742
Zinc (Zn) 841
Molybdenum (Mo) 2
Boron (B) 66
Contaminants
Water (%) Coolant No
Physical Tests
Viscosity (cSt 100C) 9.8