E60 BMW 528i Oil Pan Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you inspected the oil filter housing gasket yet? That often leaks, and when it does, it makes the whole bottom of the engine look messy, making one think it's the oil pan gasket.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Oh than spend money and pull it all apart.
Well, from reading everything so far, that is exactly he plans to do.

If it were my old BMW I just wanted another couple of years out of, I'd fix the leaking oil pan drain plug for starters with probably a $.60 cent crush washer.

Than I would try to tighten the pan bolts.

After that I would just put cardboard down than trade it on, it looks to be a fairly minor leak. How much make up oil is added? If its less than a quart per 3k ignore it.

Last edited:
Trust me guys, I'm not that excited about this job. I'd rather go do a few suspension overhauls than an oil pan reseal on this beast. I already explained to the owner that he should just leave it alone, but he wants it fixed.

With that said, it does appear that the oil drain plug is part of the problem, but there's also oil coming from each of the oil pan bolt holes. He recently had the oil filter housing and valve cover resealed, but I will re-check those areas.

You also did not mention that the car does have high mileage for its age. It is just common sense to rule out simple causes and simple fixes before jumping on a huge task.

Knowing how methodical you normally are, why was the underside and the engine not thoroughly cleaned to find the actual source of the oil leak before doing anything else? How come you started asking the question about the oil pan replacement right off the bat? Yes, I did give you hard time on it but it was not completely unwarranted.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
You also did not mention that the car does have high mileage for its age. It is just common sense to rule out simple causes and simple fixes before jumping on a huge task.

Knowing how methodical you normally are, why was the underside and the engine not thoroughly cleaned to find the actual source of the oil leak before doing anything else? How come you started asking the question about the oil pan replacement right off the bat? Yes, I did give you hard time on it but it was not completely unwarranted.

I've posted plenty of threads about this car, and the mileage was listed in the other threads.

I have already looked at this car twice and I am very certain that the leak is from the oil pan.

What is leading you to believe that my diagnosis is wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back