MOBIL 1 EP FILTERS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there anything approaching a concensus on these filters for extended (15,000 mile+) OCI's? Are they truly first rate filters in terms of construction and performance? I may start using them and replace them every third or fourth oil change as they're advertised for "extended performance" and they're pricey ($10.99 @ Autozone) so I want to get my money's worth by going the full 15,000 miles or more. (and I also really like the way they look) Comments?

Mad Mike,
At the local AZ's in my area, they are offering 5qts of M1 and a M1 filter for $29, and M1EP with a M1 filter for $34. This brings the price of M1 filters to a reasonable price, if you use M1 oil in any of your vehicles. I use it to buy M1 5w20 for my 2 Fords, and get the filter that fits my BMW motorcycle.

I don't think that we've seen any particle counts with a newer M1 filter. That would be my test of choice. I'm sure they're very fine filtering ..and should make 15k without breaking too much of a sweat where the 15k isn't accumulated over 2 years or something odd like that.

I believe that they are built very solidly as far as has been discussed here numerous times. Champ Labs builds these to Mobil's spec and I believe them to be tested to go the distance, sort of matching the rec. change interval for Mobil 1 EP synthetic oils. "Filter guy" or others will probably have more detailed info on actually how good these newer filters are and if they are worth the extra dough you'll have to pay over a Wix, for example. I used the previous Mobil 1 filters and ran them anywhere from 10k-20k miles with no perceivable problems. That's not to say we ever checked our insolubles with a UOA. That would have been the best way to know how well it did at those intervals. I myself have begun using the EaO filters from Amsoil. These are looking like a very good quality filter for efficiency and flow capabilites, but do not come cheap. I really don't have a lot of time to shop around for stuff from retail stores anymore, so I have resorted to ordering most of what I need over the internet, and with an Amsoil account, it's not too bad. I also heard from a dealer that he was at a filter class on these new filters and the expert guy there said these EaO series had been actually tested to go 40 or 60k miles and were still effective at those intervals, but they chose to limit the rec. interval to 1 year or 15k/25k to coincide with their main oil's rec. interval (15k being the severe service interval). Also he said that they wanted their dealers to actually sell some oil filters, so another reason to keep the service interval lower than its tested limits. That's word-of-mouth info, but still interesting to me. If you're not going the full distance on your oil, why not use a Wix from fleetfilter.com (good price) and change every other oil change- just an idea.

Filter Guy--can you shed any light on the quality of these filters? Are they the absolute best Champion makes? Are they suitable for 15,000 mile OCI's? Are they worth the super-premium price or are there comparable alternatives that are cheaper? Thanks for any "inside" info you can provide!

Absolute best?....at what..
wink.gif

OK..

Probably.

Hows that for an answer?

Imho..the only thing that would make these better is a straight synthetic media. Champ builds those, too.

But for extended drains..then yes they are the top of the line. With all the field testing Mobil did on these with a fleet of taxi cabs along with other field testing sources..they've been tested pretty extensively.

They do have the high burst and high collapse ratings beside the top media for extended drains.

I put in a M1 EP oil filter for the 1st time with my first time Amsoil fill.

I have 4.5k on them and so far, so good!! The oil does not look dark at all - and that's in a heavily used 4x4.

Might it be interesting to do a UOA on this combo...(?) Ya think it would come out quite well...

I have been absent recently, but has anyone run particle counts on these filters to determine comparative filter efficiencies to simple cellulose?
Likewise with the new Amsoil Ea filters, no particle count/oil analysis results???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back