Best Transmission Filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just use whatever the factory uses.
fruit.gif
128.gif

A friend bought a FRAM transmission filter for his van (I know, I know...) and it was identical to the factory filter we took out, right down to the word "FILTECH" molded into it. My WAG is that since transmission filters don't sell in as high a volume as oil and air filters, there are only a few companies that actually make them.

Makes you wonder how many transmission filter manufactures are out there.

Just purchased a new AC Delco filter #TF304 for my 96 Regal.
The filter has this molded in the plastic:
Made in USA
SAE PA66+GF331
FILTRON
MicroFelt Tm.

Stamped in the steel on the other side:
4T60-E
4T65-E

Oval emblem with “FILTRAN” over “SPX”

quote:

Originally posted by KC Strip:
Sorry if this is the wrong place to put this post - I wasn't for sure.

I will be changing the transmission filters in both vehicles in the next month or so and was wondering which transmission filter is considered the best. I know that's a subjective question, but aren't many of the questions we ask around here?
smile.gif
I have a 1999 Chevy Suburban (5.7L with 116,000) and a 1994 Olds Cutlass Supreme (3.1L with 184,000).

Thanks in advance for the help!

I added a permacool remote tranny filter kit with moble one extended performance filter along with a filter magnet, easy to change.

quote:

Originally posted by ron350:
Just purchased a new AC Delco filter #TF304 for my 96 Regal.
Oval emblem with “FILTRAN” over “SPX”

I know I said FILTECH in my post but it may have been FILTRAN...I just remember that it was exactly the same as the OEM.

I agree that you can't go wrong with OEM filters from the dealer, but the problem is they cost 2 to 3 times as much when buying a Motorcraft tranny filter from the dealer as the parts store charges for a Wix or Napa or whatever. Now that I have the correct Motorcraft part number for the filter in the wife's car, next time I'm going to buy aftermarket that directly crosses to that part number. $40 for a tranny filter is absurd.

Well, you can buy the OEM filters from Bulkpart for MUCH less. The SPX/Filtran branded filters are great as well and Bulkpart should have them. Try Transtar as well, as they distribute to transmission shops and will sell to you at low prices.

Regarding the comments about OEM and you can't go wrong using what the factory uses I have this to say--Just because they sell it at the Ford/Chevy/Dodge/etc. parts counter doesn't mean thats what the factory used! Often, you cannot buy what the factory uses. For example, about 15 years ago I went to the Ford dealer to buy a new thermostat because it was a design I was not familiar with (may have been a ballance sleeve type), anyhow the parts guy hands me a ford box with a reverse poppet thermostat in it, for $18, and it said Stant stamped into the metal. It was not even the same style, but was the "factory thermostat" according to parts dude. I gave it back and bought the same Stant at the parts store for about 4 bucks. Auto manufacturers are not generally in the business of making parts. They just assemble them. Most of the parts you find at at reputable parts house IMO are as good as dealer parts. The federal government agrees, thats why auto manufacturers cannot void your warrantee for using aftermarket parts or maintenance products---unless the manufacturer provides those products for free.

quote:

Originally posted by AstroVic:

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:
where does one buy wix atf filters????

O'Reilly's Auto Parts has them.

Does yours have them???? I went to O'reilley last night for some other stuff, and asked them about filters. They stock wix oil filters, but the only ATF filters they stock are a 'pioneer' brand (or a name very similar to that).

Carquest has the SPX filtech filters.

Ill post pics of both later if I remember. The differences? Filtech = made in USA and $20.38... Pioneer brand = made in ??? and $13.xx.

Filtech came with a paper type gasket, and the 'pioneer' brand had a (seemingly nicer but what do I know?) rubber type gasket.

JMH

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by AstroVic:

quote:

where does one buy wix atf filters????

O'Reilly's Auto Parts has them.

Does yours have them???? I went to O'reilley last night for some other stuff, and asked them about filters. They stock wix oil filters, but the only ATF filters they stock are a 'pioneer' brand (or a name very similar to that).
JMH

My O'Reilly's carries some. I've picked up a couple of Wix branded, SPX Filtran made tranny filters there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back