Best Transmission Filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if this is the wrong place to put this post - I wasn't for sure.

I will be changing the transmission filters in both vehicles in the next month or so and was wondering which transmission filter is considered the best. I know that's a subjective question, but aren't many of the questions we ask around here?
smile.gif
I have a 1999 Chevy Suburban (5.7L with 116,000) and a 1994 Olds Cutlass Supreme (3.1L with 184,000).

Thanks in advance for the help!

When in doubt, use OEM.
But, I've never had a problem with the filters from the local autoparts stores.

Good advice, unDummy. More than anything else, I was curious if there was one or maybe two brands out there that were head and shoulders above the rest.

OEM or Wix filters as they are based on OEM spec.

That said, I've used Wix exclusively without problem.

I was told that the GM factory pan gasket is made to be re-used. Some aftermarket filters don't come with a new gasket; check before buying.

I've checked into Wix and it seems to be fine for my applications.

As most people know who are on this site/forum with any frequency, there is almost always some debate as to the "best filter" available for a particular application - that's why I'm asking the question. Or there are filters to stay away from, i.e. Fram oil filters (according to some).

quote:

Originally posted by Brett Miller:
My Ford has a reusable pan gasket. Very nice touch.

cheers.gif
Yes it is... And for the topic, the guys over at the Crown Vic site, seem to think OME is the only way to go for the tranny filter.

I do know several folks who swear by Mr. Gasket tranny filters. Any thoughts
confused.gif
dunno.gif

Where do they buy them? Summit doesn't list them ..nor does a google search produce a source (at least for me) ..pans ..dipsticks ...but no filters
dunno.gif

My 02 jeep came with a rigid thick reusable gasket. Apply light silicon at a few points ...viola~

I've used the Carquest brand on my Montana, looks exactly like the OEM, same info embedded in the plastic housing. Yes the gasket is reusable. The filter only was 4.00 less than the filter and gasket kit.

Since I have an external transmission filter and I am very satisfied with my Wix on my engine I use it on my transmission as well. Big fat 0 in the leakage department, UOA's have been favorable too.

Some 99's had shallow pans, some had deep pans. Mine had a deep pan, and I liked the fit of the OEM filter better than the one after market that I tried. Can't remember what brand it was. Be sure to get the correct filter for the pan you have.
GSD

I use Filter King filters from Advance Auto and they look just like the OEM and fit well and haven't had any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back