Best External transmission filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had this kit on my Explorer for a while now, and have been using Motorcraft/Purolator, just curious if anyone had an opinion on a specific filter i should maybe use instead.

I've been thinking about using a Supertech Ecore next round.

What do you think?

Have you thought about going with something with better filtring? I'm considering a hydraulic filter, or even an amsoil bypass for the next Auto.

If you have a Permacool or Summit trans filter kit ..you're probably using a 3/4-16 thread filter. The finest filters that are available are probably the Baldwin B2HPG, M1, PureOne.

You can get finer in the typical hydraulic thread sizes.

..but there's nothing wrong with using an ST8/ST16/ST3416
dunno.gif
MC's are very good filters.

yes it is the Summit Kit.

I've been using the MC, Purolator and right now i have an Advanced Auto filter on there, i got during the buy 1 get one free sale, i bought 6
wink.gif

i've been thinking of using the smaller ST16 or the equivalent in the purolator so i don't have to add quite as much fluid everytime, even though its probably better to add some new fluid once in a while, but i figure because of the better filtering the fluid shouldn't need to be changed as often.

Next round i will be using the Supertech 8A and i will cut it open and compare to the Advanced Auto filter after use.

thanks for the comments.

If i were to go to a hydraulic filter would it be better to have a filter without the anti-drainback for possibly better flow?

Go to a good auto parts store and ask to see their big filter catalog...WIX, Baldwin, whatever. There will be a section that catalogs the filters by useage. Some filters are lube only. Some are transmission only. Some are lube & transmission combination. There is a difference. Pick a filter that fits your filter head and the physical space available.

The best for a transmission? Maybe a Racor LFS22825.

Ken

quote:

If i were to go to a hydraulic filter would it be better to have a filter without the anti-drainback for possibly better flow?

The only hydraulic/trans filter in the 3/4-16 thread that I'm aware of is the Wix 51410. It has no ADBV nor a bypass valve. I find its ratings common.

Part Number: 51410
UPC Number: 765809514102
Principal Application: Ariens, Bolen, IHC, John Deere, Kohler, Toro
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Hydraulic Filter
Service: Hydraulic
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 3.790
Outer Diameter Top: 3.660
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 3/4-16
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: None
Beta Ratio: 2/20=17/41
Burst Pressure-PSI: 325
Max Flow Rate: 7-9 GPM
Nominal Micro Rating: 25

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 1 2.729 2.415 0.200

Observations of some other members leads me to believe that ATF is very easy to filter ..and that the filters, normally, do not load very much over long term use even at very fine levels of filtration. I imagine that the lack of a combustion process is makes span so long.

I consider them a safety net for possible disintegration of the converter clutch material and a convenient method/point for fluid renewal. Periodic trans service can then be incorporated into some number of oil change intervals.

Ken2: I couldn't find a dimensional reference for the Rancor filter (LFS TF1006RE-3 - that fits the trans "kit"). It doesn't xref to anything that I can find
dunno.gif

-

Gary,

This is a bit off topic.....but do you know how much PSI the ATF is under during normal driving with an Auto trans ??

I was thinking about adding an external trans filter to my mom's Honda that does 99% city driving.

quote:

Originally posted by LT4 Vette:
Gary,

This is a bit off topic.....but do you know how much PSI the ATF is under during normal driving with an Auto trans ??

I was thinking about adding an external trans filter to my mom's Honda that does 99% city driving.

Pressure and flow are both fairly low. I believe the cooling loop just drains back into the pan.

Experts: Is there any reason to not use the same #filter you use on your engine to cut down on the different filters in you stock?

Trans flow isn't an issue, it's lower than engine oil flow and tans oil is thinner. ADBV doesn't matter, etc.

Good test unDummy. I am seriously considering using the Amsoil EaO15 as an inline filter on my transmission cooler circuit. But I don't see a real need to change it as often as others on this thread are doing. I'll probably go at least 2 years or possibly 30k miles or more. As was mentioned above, this application environment is not nearly as severe as an engine oil filter would see. I believe this is as close to having a bypass oil filter on my transmissions without having to concern myself with reduced flow back to the transmission. Where space to mount a filter or time and money are limited, the inline Magnefine would be a whole sight better than no filter at all. But I would still do UnDummy's flow test.

quote:

Originally posted by XS650:

quote:

Originally posted by LT4 Vette:
Gary,

Pressure and flow are both fairly low. I believe the cooling loop just drains back into the pan.

Experts: Is there any reason to not use the same #filter you use on your engine to cut down on the different filters in you stock?

Trans flow isn't an issue, it's lower than engine oil flow and tans oil is thinner. ADBV doesn't matter, etc.

I agree. Most of the fluid schematics that I've looked at show the fluid leaving the converter ..going through the cooling loop and back to "lubribation" to bathe the rotating parts in "coolant". Although it's typically low pressure ..I do think that it's capable of higher pressure if restricted. One member who used a Permacool sandwich to provide differential for his MG/Frantz had to drill a hole in it to stop the poppet relief from "buzzing".

As you said ..the stuff is like water as far as a filter is concerned. Schultz has a 3um beta 1000 filter on his coolant line and has never gotten a flash from his 15PSID warning switch (IIRC).

ADBV isn't needed. And, in most situations, a bypass won't be needed if filter is serviced regularly, once or twice a year. But, because situations might exist that require it, I'll always recommend a filter(or mount) with a bypass valve because many transmissions now use the cooler return flow for lubrication or parts cooling instead of just 'wasting' to the pan.

I don't believe that there is a best filter for the standard 3/4" remote ATF filter mount.
Use the biggest one possible.
Change it once or twice a year.
And definitely stick a few magnets(homemade filtermag) around that filter.

The Trasco is a combination filter that might work well in this application. Too bad magnets won't stick to it.
The reusable Trufilter is another option and includes a magnet.

Also, besides the mentioned boutique filters, the 3/4" mount will fit a bunch of euro(audi/VW) filters, Harley filters, expensive Nissan UD bypass, and a bunch of fuel filters.

And, for comparison, you should check the hot ATF cooler flow with/without your filter. This is pretty easy to do: Prior to filter installation, get tranny fluid hot. Disconnect cooler hose and aim into a measured container. Start vehicle and time how long it takes to fill. Install filter, refill tranny, and repeat test. I wouldn't worry about 10% increase in time. But, I'd worry if hot flow is reduced by 25% or more.

Nope still haven't seen the pressure switch turn on yet after >30k miles. The manual says to change the fluid after 30k but it's still clear red, and I have a feeling that it's just as clean as what's in a new bottle. I'll probably send some off to analysis before the summer ends to see what they say.

I looked up my mileage since the installment and it's actually 21k and not >30k, so I'll probably wait until next spring to send in a sample for analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back