Wix vs Wix XP Oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
As my previous post clearly states, the XP efficiency information is contained and available on "the O'R site". Also stated, it is different than what has been posted here from Wix CS. For 'those interested,' they can go to O'R's site and check the efficiency specs and read the details of how the efficiency were determined. It's then up to those reading the O'R site specs to determine the accuracy and reliability for themselves. Thus, the 'as an aside' and strictly as additional information.

The important part of the post to me is the shilled bluster regarding the use of combo valves in the XP/NP stands as uncorroborated drivel.

As said above, I doubt O'R's tech info is more accurate than WIX's ... why would it be? Don't know where O'R got the tech info, but I'd bet they didn't pay a lab to do ISO efficiency testing.

Opinions may vary on O'R site XP efficiency spec information and it's credibility. That's ok, as it's unimportant to me. However unlike what came from Wix CS verbally it does include specific ISO test information.

As said though, simply presented as additional information for others to decide. Only run across while researching bypass information the priority of my post information.

So that makes it easy.

If you want a well built filter, buy Wix.

If you want a filter with high filtration efficiency, buy the standard Wix.

If you want something to run for extra long OCI's with some safeguard for clogging in dirty engines, buy a Wix XP.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Opinions may vary on O'R site XP efficiency spec information and it's credibility. That's ok, as it's unimportant to me. However unlike what came from Wix CS verbally it does include specific ISO test information.

As said though, simply presented as additional information for others to decide. Only run across while researching bypass information the priority of my post information.

What vehicle are you searching for on O'R's website to find the WIX XPs? I just can go find filters without first listing a vehicle to fit. Apparently O'R doesn't carry many XPs because I used 5 or 6 popular vehicles to try and find them and no luck. Maybe you could just copy & paste the info off O'R to save people some hassle.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
So that makes it easy.

If you want a well built filter, buy Wix.

If you want a filter with high filtration efficiency, buy the standard Wix.

If you want something to run for extra long OCI's with some safeguard for clogging in dirty engines, buy a Wix XP.

If one is worried about clogging and the filter bypassing, extended drains are one of the last things that should be done.

Silver, I agree with your interpretation of their product, I just don't agree with WIXs way of thinking.

All I have to do is enter the Wix application number followed by the letters XP in the O'R search box and that specific application comes up for me. Once clicked on, all it's related specs show up in detail. Example, as stated in my earlier post on the subject, I was specifically looking for information on the 51348XP regarding bypass inforamtion, followed said procedure and the information was/is displayed. Tried several other popular applications in the O'R search box and they also worked to display the detailed information.

It also should be noted that I qualified my interpretation of the efficiency specs using the 'imo' regarding the information, in other words it is noted with qualifications on my part. That discussion was initiated and continued by others and not my reason for commenting on the XP (and to a lesser extent Wix/Napa Gold) in this thread. And why I prefer to let those focused on that check for themselves.

Again my interest was/is in repudiating the XP combo valve uncorroborated bluster. I believe with the multiple examples illustrating and documenting XP's use of separate dome end bypass with NO combo valve substantiation, that has been accomplished.

All I have to do is enter the Wix application number followed by the letters XP in the O'R search box and that specific application comes up for me. Once clicked on, all it's related specs show up in detail. Example, as stated in my earlier post on the subject, I was specifically looking for information on the 51348XP regarding bypass inforamtion, followed said procedure and the information was/is displayed. Tried several other popular applications in the O'R search box and they also worked to display the detailed information.

Ok, thanks for that. So for the 51348XP, it comes up with this info.

"Wix XP Oil Filter Laboratory Test Performance per ISO-4548-12: 32 grams dirt* - up to 100% more than Wix - 99% efficient at 35 microns** (Based on *51515XP - **51356XP, 57060XP)"

Hummm ... so if this is true, I'm wondering why the WIX Tech Dept doesn't parrot the same info? Big disconnect and still a mystery IMO.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/WIXZ/51348XP.oap?keyword=51348xp

Originally Posted By: steveh
O'reilly's also says its paper media. Wix says synthetic.

I just looked at the O'Reilly link I posted before (few posts above) for the WIX 51348XP and it says:

"Wix XP Oil Filters use synthetic media and provide robust engine protection when using synthetic motor oil for extreme driving condition ... "

But farther down on the page says: "Media: Paper"

Looks like I have to officially retract my statement about the combo valve in the Wix XP lineup. I am still investigating the thread end bypass in the XP lineup. A lot of time and money went into cutting open many Wix, Wix XP, Napa Platinum, Napa Silver and Napa Gold filter models but it was not located in the Wix XP.

29uoeqb.jpg

There was a combo valve found on a Napa silver though if anyone is curious.

5n10yp.jpg

The WIX XP looks to be made of dryer sheets. Wire backed of course for additional filtration efficiency.

So my quoted post early in this thread stands as posted and accurate. And apparently not only is not "clear," it is patently false. And really it leads me to ponder again why anyone would make such a statement with no proof whatsoever.

As for the Silver line that is not the topic of this thread so it's exploded view is irrelevant. That and 'some' (not all) Silver line dissections with combo valve have been shown numerous times here, and it is made to Napa's spec for that line.

As a little research of this site would show, the pics are basically redundancy to all the pics and information posted on this site previously. Imo, a shame to waste good money, if that's what was done, on cutting open useable filters to confirm what was already established.

As for thread end bypass, even if found it too is irrelevant to the combo valve combo claim as it's still separate bypass only it uses Wix traditional thread design as opposed to the dome end bypass shown in the the XP/NP cutaway and confirmed by the linked bitog poster threads. That said as my posting on the previous page showed, dome bypass was found in said XG/NG application.

Thanks for confirming what research here already showed as stated and linked in my posts.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
.....It's clear they are saving tons of money on these filters by using combo valves......

This is at least the second time recently that you have posted this bogus information as regards the topic'd WixXP/(NP) and now Wix/(NG) branded/labeled filters. As I said previously, I'm not sure from whom or where you are obtaining your information (though I think I have a good idea because I've read the same inaccurate information posted on other message boards and youtubes by a recognizable poster), but it is incorrect.

No current Wix branded/labeled automotive application filter uses a combo valve. And no WixXP or NapaPlatinum uses a combo valve either. The Wix XP and Napa Platinum line use separate dome end bypass.

Also again, if you have an authoritative link proving the combo valve allegation post it up. Otherwise I take this to be nothing more than unproven internet tripe posted with an agenda......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back