May go to Amsoil SS 5W30 from Mobil 1 5W30...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You've got one thing correct. If you have a GM engine you'd better be feeding it the best oil you can find. Those engines need all the help they can get (lol).

Originally Posted By: mene
Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
Thanks guys! This forum re-enforces my decisions!! I know I can't go wrong with Amsoil signature series for the best peace of mind.

I will change the oil out ASAP and see what happens!

This really is like a "drug" and you guys are all "drug pushers". LOL!!

I switched to Amsoil AZO few years ago from M1, I haven't look back and I was happy with M1.

I think I am going to do the same as well. I will most likely keep the V for a awhile.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Amsoil SS is not API approved; a consideration if you are under warranty. That being said I ran 0W-20 SS while under warranty in my B2300.

From what I read, Amsoil is API certified but not Dexos 1 approved. I doubt I will have any issues with a better oil like Amsoil.

The SS oils are not API certified, the OE and XL oils are.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

and the Amsoil SS series outperformed Mobil 1 EP at every test.

I'm a fan of Amsoil lubricants but what tests? M1 EP is formally certified for a number of manufacturer approvals that require extensive testing using approved and sanctioned procedures for measuring actual lubricant performance. This particular AMSOIL product has none of those.

The 4-ball wear test is a procedure designed and utilized in the industry for EP oils (gear oils for example) and is not an engine oil test.

Amsoil published a number of independent tests in their study of 5W30 oils and signature series outperformed Mobil 1 EP on every test.

Independent tests that were actually legitimate engine tests applicable to performance in real world applications or marketing fluff? The 4-ball wear test is an example of marketing fluff as it demonstrates performance in an area that is not at all relevant to the conditions encountered inside an engine.

Originally Posted By: Turk
Getting that black, that quick, is just wrong.

Even your short FF was black.

I'd get some diagnostics done, and/or ask the dealer techs to see if they're all that way or not...

I will get a UOA done on my next OCI to see what's going on inside the engine. GM dealership techs aren't going to waste their time unless there's something physically wrong with the car. I have enough experience with them.

No, ask them to see if they all come out that black when "they" change the oil with similar mileage.....

Amsoil SS is not API approved; a consideration if you are under warranty. That being said I ran 0W-20 SS while under warranty in my B2300.

From what I read, Amsoil is API certified but not Dexos 1 approved. I doubt I will have any issues with a better oil like Amsoil.
Amsoil SS is not certified nor has any approvals non zero zip nada one it's not hard to understand you just trusting Amsoil and their word that it's good.

Last edited:
An entire thread dominated by subjective feelings as to oil suitability.

Seriously, do what you want. You are going to anyway, and it makes you feel better. There isn't much else to say, is there?

GM4LIFE said:
A couple days ago, I decided to change my oil again as the oil looked pretty dark on the dipstick. I have 5,200 miles on the engine and I went to Mobil 1 5W30 and an Amsoil EA15K51 oil filter from the factory fill AC Delco Synthetic blend and factory AC Delco PF48 oil filter at 1,754 miles. At 1,754 miles, the factory fill was tar black, so I felt good getting everything out early. The car felt better with Mobil 1 right after I changed it from the factory fill. Felt like it was protecting better from friction inside the engine, but that feeling wore off rather quickly.

After 3,500 miles of driving, the oil was blacker than tar. I mean, BLACK! I don't see how that oil can go up to 10K miles. I know the engine is currently it's in early stages of the break-in process and I drive the car pretty hard, but I was surprised at how dark it was upon draining it.

After the oil change two days ago, I started driving the car home and noticed how much smoother the engine ran with the fresh oil. It felt as if there was more of a "cushion" between the moving parts if that makes any sense. Before changing the oil, the car ran ok, but the engine had the feeling that the moving parts inside weren't being protected as well from the friction between all the moving parts. This made me feel as if maybe Mobil 1 isn't such a great oil for my engine.

I ordered up a case of Amsoil Signature Series 5W30 and will change to that oil as soon as I can. There are CTS-V owners on the forums with manual transmissions that went to the Amsoil SS 5W30 oil and reported back impressive results of how much better the engine felt during shifts and how the engine felt with the added protection against friction and the Amsoil kept protecting for thousands of miles.

It's a matter of time before the Mobil 1 I just put in starts to make the engine feel a bit rough again. Maybe I am just really sensitive when it comes to how engines feel and run. Maybe my engine is just hard on oil as hard as I run it and maybe it needs 3,000 OCIs. I haven't done a UOA as of yet as the engine is still new. I plan on doing it starting at around 10K miles.

Any wise words?

I'm no expert on GM's but if the engine is direct injection that should be the reason, do a google search here about it and you will find a lot of that, Saturns and Mazdas are the poster children.

Thanks guys! This forum re-enforces my decisions!! I know I can't go wrong with Amsoil signature series for the best peace of mind.

I will change the oil out ASAP and see what happens!

This really is like a "drug" and you guys are all "drug pushers". LOL!!

You got two votes for and two against. You decided to ignore the responses you didn't want to hear to decide that the forum reinforced your decision
33.gif

Man, now I don't know what to do! Maybe just stick with Mobil 1 and change it more often.

Engine I have is not direct injection. Supercharged 6.2L V8.

Why would you have to change it more often?

Man, now I don't know what to do! Maybe just stick with Mobil 1 and change it more often

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Why would you have to change it more often?

Man, now I don't know what to do! Maybe just stick with Mobil 1 and change it more often

To make sure there is oil in the engine that is cleaner. The oil I drained out of the engine the other day was beyond black as you could from the picture I posted. I may have to just do a 3K to 4K OCI with a Fram Ultra or Amsoil oil filter. This engine is obviously pretty hard on oil, especially the way I drive.

Peace of mind ? How long do you keep your cars? It would be fun to uoa the mobil 1 and the Amsoil at equal miles and conditions and prove me wrong.

In my years in different service departments, I've NEVER had an engine warranty claim denied by oil type used. In fact, I've never had the factory even ask what kind of oil is used. As long as there are documented oil and filter changes (date, vin #, mileage, on an invoice. DIY oil changes do not hold water for required proof of maintenance since there is is not an actual invoice to verify those requirements)

If you do have any engine related problems, your lack of API starburst does not matter. If it is under warranty still (as it is) I would be sure to either have the dealer or service provider complete the oil changes with your provided oil and/or filter to avoid any issues with records just in case anything happens.

And back to the original idea... You can't go wrong with SS oil. It is not cheap, but it is definitely a high quality product.

and the Amsoil SS series outperformed Mobil 1 EP at every test.

I'm a fan of Amsoil lubricants but what tests? M1 EP is formally certified for a number of manufacturer approvals that require extensive testing using approved and sanctioned procedures for measuring actual lubricant performance. This particular AMSOIL product has none of those.

The 4-ball wear test is a procedure designed and utilized in the industry for EP oils (gear oils for example) and is not an engine oil test.

We all know about the 4-ball wear test. That being said, if you were choosing between two oils that both have similarly specs and quality, yet one had a 4-ball result of .35 and the other of 1.2 , wouldn't you prefer to have the .35???

just saying...

The SS oils are not API certified, the OE and XL oils are.

And lets also note that just because they do not have the API certification on the bottle, doesn't mean that they were submitted and FAILED either. Look at all of the API oils out there that don't meet spec...

ANY oil change you do is gonna "feel" better. The M1 oil is more than your engine needs. As is the AMSOIL. I doubt your gonna notice any real difference between the two about 1000 miles into the change when the "new oil" changes has lost its "newness".

Originally Posted By: dave123

Amsoil SS is not certified nor has any approvals non zero zip nada one it's not hard to understand you just trusting Amsoil and their word that it's good.

Amsoil is not going to risk their reputation by claiming that their oils are good, meet testing, etc and then produce a product that is junk. They don't work that way. While people can argue back and fourth about Amsoil all they want, the fact is that they do produce high quality products. There have been plenty of VOA,UOA,and many, many vehicles that have used their products for years without issue.

M1 EP is in the same Galaxy as Amsoil $$. Use the Amsoil that U have ordered---> around the 4K-5K mile mark do a UOA.

Do the same with M1 EP!

Compare the 2 UOA.

That is a very expensive auto!{In My World}! It would be worth doing.

If I could afford an auto like that I could afford a few UOA.

Or don't worry what others think and Just run the $$ since it outperformed the rest. No Worries!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back