wife wants to trade in her car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going to put Money down on the accord as well . And she isn't a shift manager she's higher up than that.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: ram_man
mine is a lot farther that's why I have the new car.

That does not exactly make sense either. Piling on high miles on a new car just makes its value drop faster. You'd be better off adding these miles to an older car that already has many miles on it.

I have to be at work every day a reliable car is a priority. My Saturn was nickel and diming me so I had to get a betree car. A new car made more sense than a used car did. I'm not worried about value dropping it's a car it designed function is to be driven why worry about how using it will make the value less. It's a losing battle anyway.

I'm not worried about value dropping it's a car it designed function is to be driven why worry about how using it will make the value less. It's a losing battle anyway.

I agree. I was just saying that between the two, it would have made more sense to pile the miles on PT cruiser instead. You did not mention that PT was unreliable.

I mentioned above that it has a transmission issue that I imagine will only get worse.

My wife's take: she wants to get the Accord tagged in her name, but get your name on the note...then dump you, and she figures she can make YOU pay for HER new car.

Despite what anyone believes we worked through our issues and are doing fine.

I say get the honda accord. it would be good to save for it. but in this economy err recession, you got to have reliable transportation for work. if the PT cruiser trans is dying, I would dump it.

My sister had a 05 PT Cruiser convertible, the air condition didn't work and the convertible top broke. the mechanic told her that chrysler didn't make parts for the convertible top anymore and she would have to get a junkyard part. she didn't like that all. she traded it in after 1 year. she bought it used in 2012.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
My wife's take: she wants to get the Accord tagged in her name, but get your name on the note...then dump you, and she figures she can make YOU pay for HER new car.

That was kind of harsh.

The Honda Accords are bulletproof....especially with a MT. They are just great running reliable cars. My concern would be the auto tranny though. You should be able to get 200k out of an Accord without too much trouble. My brother has an 08 Accord Coupe 5speed with 167k miles on it and it runs and drives amazing. Whenever I drive his car I can't help but laugh that it has 167k on it and drives so well. It even has original shocks on it.

I'd dump the PT.

Not to be rude but how exactly do you user error an automatic you put it in gear and go ! How would a hard shift into gear be user error at all? I mean If my wife an I are using it wrong please do correct us but I am fairly confident in our slush box skills.

Hmmm, lets see. My mother still drives a 97 plymouth breeze with the same ultra drive 41TE auto trans in it. She also had very short commutes, and hers lasted well into the 170k range without any issues. She still drives the car today with a new AT and they don't hesitate to drive it hundreds of miles to visit family and friends, or 75 miles to the mountain house each weekend. Practically the same car/drivetrain, engineered in the same era.

Auto trans can be very sensitive to maintenance and to how hard and harshly the driver uses it. So poor maintenance (even if you maintain it well, how did the PO?) and use profile (how hard does she mash the go pedal on a cold engine, cold transmission, cold ATF vehicle to drive the one mile to McDs? It seems you've indicated before that she's not that mechanically aware...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2994997/8
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3028603

Ill be the first to say that ATs don't last, but if the car has like 50k, something else is wrong... And after all, you've admitted that there isn't really anything to be concerned with...

Quote:
It has been decently reliable so far not asking for much needs a battery and tires soon. But nothing mechanically related. As I said the trans shifts hard when cold sometimes and there is a weird noise in the dash when turning on the hvac only once in awhile. Not a big issue though. Overall it's not nickel and diming yet but who knows when itll start. Could be soon or could be awhile. And she doesn't like it that's the biggest factor probably I have to hear he complain about it lol.

How do I know you have the right fluid in there? Filter? How do I know it was kept up before you got it? How do I know she doesn't drive it like she stole it?

End of the day, your math doesn't add up, which is concerning, and you're in a rocky relationship, which is concerning as well. Of course you'll do what you want, because conflicting advice is not what you're here for, right? Just remember - nobody is here to be malicious or rude. But it doesn't mean that we don't have genuine concerns for you and your situation, which is here on the forum in gory detail.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
I say get the honda accord. it would be good to save for it. but in this economy err recession, you got to have reliable transportation for work. if the PT cruiser trans is dying, I would dump it.

My sister had a 05 PT Cruiser convertible, the air condition didn't work and the convertible top broke. the mechanic told her that chrysler didn't make parts for the convertible top anymore and she would have to get a junkyard part. she didn't like that all. she traded it in after 1 year. she bought it used in 2012.

I don't believe that story. Manufacturers are required to make parts for 10 years after a model is discontinued. I know this from having Brockway trucks after Mack bought them. They still had to make the parts, even though they never made the truck.

I think most people trade a car more for personal reasons, like bored with the car or want a new ride with more whistles and bells. NEVER is it a good financial decision to trade a still running good car for another car. Especially if its a paid for car. I understand that in this case it is not. Cars in this country are still viewed as a status symbol and found to entertain us. Very seldom do we look at them as really only transportation. I was surprised by the number of older Buicks, Cadillac's and Lincoln's in a gated million dollar plus homes/ community I was doing work at the last week. For every Lamborghinis, there were at least three older Buicks in the late 90's.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman

I don't believe that story. Manufacturers are required to make parts for 10 years after a model is discontinued. I know this from having Brockway trucks after Mack bought them. They still had to make the parts, even though they never made the truck.

There is no such requirement in auto parts. There are decade old cars and newer where the OE has discontinued parts, especially body/trim parts, and especially on oddball models like the PT convertibles. I see it fairly often. The OEMs would lose a lot of money if they had to crank out a supply of parts for 10 years after every model was discontinued.

Mack probably kept making Brockway parts because they were selling them easily. Medium and heavy trucks do not get recycled as quickly as cars do.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Originally Posted By: Panzerman

There is no such requirement in auto parts. There are decade old cars and newer where the OE has discontinued parts, especially body/trim parts, and especially on oddball models like the PT convertibles. I see it fairly often. The OEMs would lose a lot of money if they had to crank out a supply of parts for 10 years after every model was discontinued.

Mack probably kept making Brockway parts because they were selling them easily. Medium and heavy trucks do not get recycled as quickly as cars do.

There is no such requirement here in 'Merica. however in Deutschland,there is a law stating that before a Model is discontinued, the OEM must ensure that parts will remain available for at least 10 years.

I had a semi-similar experience with my neon a few years Back. it was an '05. I bought it in Feb '10, with 54k from the original owner (My Older Brother) it did not come with Cruise. shortly after purchasing the car I looked into what it would cost to have cruise installed. Turned out Chrysler had a Kit just for that, with that Model. got the part # for the Kit, contacted my Local Dodge Dealer for a Price quote, $380, installed. COOL!
right as i am about to call and Schedule said install, I had an unexpected Dental bill pop up for... you guessed it, $380. Son-of-a-b!

So that modification goes on the back burner for a while.

Summer 2012, I check back with the local Dodge Dealer. Kit Discontinued. I had the parts List, had him price the bits. well over $500,(well out of My Budget for a "luxury" item) with a control stalk that "has a different part number but it should work"

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

That was kind of harsh.

Very often, the truth is the version of the story that hurts the most.

OP - I've personally driver a PT Cruiser when I had warranty work done on my car. It was the biggest piece of shyte that I've ever been in. I can fully understand why your wife hates it.

With that being said and taking into account all of the other dirty laundry you've posted on here, there are just too many inconsistencies in your story that don't add up. I will not try to give you financial advice because many others have already done so, but I will say to heed that advice. Be debt adverse as much as you can while you try to get back on your feet and take care of your young child. They only get more expensive as they age!

We have decided to keep the pt as I stated above and as far as my finances. It doesn't aadd up because I didn't provide all the numbers. The specifics really aren't anyone's business. Everyone assumes they know what I would do and 9 times out of 10 they're wrong yet they always come back and continue to assume.

We have decided to keep the pt as I stated above and as far as my finances. It doesn't aadd up because I didn't provide all the numbers. The specifics really aren't anyone's business. Everyone assumes they know what I would do and 9 times out of 10 they're wrong yet they always come back and continue to assume.

What doesn't add up is asking for people's advice and then telling them the specifics aren't any of their business. How can you expect people to give you good advice if you don't give them the whole picture?

Simple remedy, sir.

Quit posting your personal life's issues on BITOG, and make your own decisions. This is what a circle of friends and family are meant for.

As the world turns featuring Ram Man.
The soap opera continues..

Stay turned for next weeks episode BITOG!

thankyou2.gif

Last edited:
I simply wanted to know opinions on the Honda and given the issues the pt was having would you cinsidering trading. I wasn't necessarily looking for the financial advice end of it other than if the asking price seemed reasonable ect. I may have not been clear on that and if I waant I apologize. I haven't really told you guys that much about my personal life. You know my wife is a manager for Mc Donalds you do not know which manager and you know I'm a tech but you know neither of our earnings or our payments ect. And really those things need not be discussed in detail anyway. If I say I can financially afford something you should take me at my word since this isn't a financial forum and is an auto forum. But its done and over now we have decided to keep the pt. I will be changing oil and Trans fluid in the next few days and see what happens. If it ends up needing a Trans I'll just replace it when it does .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back