USPS drivetrains....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty soon, GM might be back in this game...

The brand-new Colorado base engine combo is the 2.5L I-4 and 6-speed manual or auto, and it is rear-drive. Could make a decently cheap postal\delivery vehicle powertrain....

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
That must be a local thing. No mailboxes at the curb?

Around here they leave the truck running unless they actually get out of it. I imagine they turn the trucks off when they get out to reduce the risk of theft mostly. People will steal anything drivable. Just this week an ambulance was stolen from a hospital in northern AL, then found several hours later in Knoxville, TN. Where I work, someone stole an International delivery truck...it was also found in TN, but weeks later. Cops found a bunch of crack pipes and stuff in it. The truck was loaded with new car parts, but they didn't take any of that.
In Phoenix all of our neighborhoods have sidewalks and most mailboxes are at the curb (older neighborhoods have them on the house) and they would have to drive all over the sidewalks if they wanted to reach the mailbox, a lot of the time it is impossible unless they want to hop a 6 inch curb onto the sidewalk to reach.

My brother in law is a mailman in San Diego. The rules they have to work by are you must turn the engine off at every stop. You must have your seatbelt on anytime you are in the vehicle. They replace starters and batteries it seems like all the time, and breakdowns are way too often now. They started these new rules last year and overtime has gone way up.

Originally Posted By: Mitch
My brother in law is a mailman in San Diego. The rules they have to work by are you must turn the engine off at every stop. You must have your seatbelt on anytime you are in the vehicle. They replace starters and batteries it seems like all the time, and breakdowns are way too often now. They started these new rules last year and overtime has gone way up.

Seems to CRY OUT for an Electric or Hybrid.
I could imagine that the market could be big enough for a unique verhicle, FWD gas (or Diesel) with RWD Electric for the stop and go work.

Around here, a ramp truck with 2 on it and towing a third moves them to a service facility/back to PO. I happened to be in a repair shop that maintained them. The vans I saw used Dot 5 brake fluid and had some little 4 banger, diesel, I thought at the time. I may be wrong about that. This was at least 5 yrs ago.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I've often also wondered why they turn the engine off for literally 5-10 seconds when they get out and put mail in the mailbox at each house. Either they have bulletproof batteries and starters or they replace them a lot. Also I doubt that saves enough gas to break even.

I've always wondered this about UPS trucks. Those starters must crank at least a hundred times a day.

UPS at least has calculated a fuel savings significant enough to still make money while replacing more starters.

GM used to make a HD starter, we nicknamed them "delivery van starters" because some parts book referenced it that way. Hot ticket for awhile until until aftermarket started making small reduction geared starters. Handy for turning over 13-1 compression big blocks with headers that have heat soaked awhile.

Originally Posted By:
The US can produce all the electricity it needs cleanly and cheaply if the EPA was doing its job properly instead of enforcing an political agenda.

It's not up to the EPA to dictate solutions, just sway the economics to achieve long-term goals which are in everyone's interest, even those who are too blind too see that. I wish our government had the guts to do that too.

Originally Posted By: Trav

Seriously. With the abundance of natural gas we should be building more gas fired energy plants along with smokeless coal and nuclear.
The US can produce all the electricity it needs cleanly and cheaply if the EPA was doing its job properly instead of enforcing an political agenda.
You win this thread :cheer:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back